Is it possible to die of a cheese tot overdose?

by statia on June 10, 2008

The Meester and I almost never eat fast food. Even when we were single and didn’t have to cook, we just weren’t fans of it unless we absolutely had to eat it. Like many other people these days, we have a garden, we joined a CSA. We eat pretty organic and healthy. A lot of my friends will rib me and say that living in California turned me into a hippie. I can tell you with total honesty, that it wasn’t California that turned me into a hippie, but that tiny little genetic imprint of me that runs around this house with wild abandon.

If you told me a year ago, that my kid would have had that much of an impact on me, I would have laughed at you. But they do. And now we eat healthier than we did before we had a kid, and I chastise my husband for wanting to spray chemicals on the poison ivy outside, and I read label of processed food now with much disgust. That’s not to say that I don’t love the occasional Cakester. Believe me. I’d love to say I’m a snob, but shove a Cakester in front of my face and all of a sudden, I’m a teenage girl who can’t eat enough junk food.

So maybe that’s the reason why I’m totally giddy in my seat right now over this:

Those last few baby pounds are never coming off now.

Helen June 10, 2008 at 12:06 pm

I would kill someone for their cheesy tater tots. No Sonics over here (no tater tots for that matter) and although I am like you and disavow the junk food, I would bust a whole lot of those 10 Commandments to get some Sonic cheesy tater tots.

April June 10, 2008 at 12:08 pm

*hangs head in shame*

Yeah, um, me too. When we were in Texas this past week I think I lived on Lemon Berry slushes. They’re putting one in on the other side of town here (a big deal, considering that the closest one is in Iowa or something stupid) and I am compulsively driving by the spot where it’s going in chanting, hoping that it will come sooner.

And on a similar note – I made organic cheese tots at home the other night. Totally not the same.

PiquantMolly June 10, 2008 at 12:44 pm

JEALOUS.

We get all of the TV ads here in Wisconsin, but the nearest Sonic is in Cedar Rapids, IA. It’s like Sonic is holding a cold, refreshing Cherry Limeade out of my reach just to taunt me.

Valley June 10, 2008 at 1:14 pm

You have no idea how excited I am about Sonic opening. My friend went last night on opening night!

DD June 10, 2008 at 1:32 pm

If I had known that all it would have taken you to veer from your route through Nebraska was Sonic tots, I’d have made a deal with the owner for a private evening (oh, yeah, the owner of the local Sonic and myself? Like this:X)

Chocolate Fudge Brownie Sundae rocks my world.

sarahbchicago June 10, 2008 at 2:54 pm

So very jealous. Sonic torments Chicago with ads featuring luscious beverages, but the nearest location is in Indiana. Enjoy!

donna June 10, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Living in Texas, as you might expect, there are at least three Sonics within spitting distance of me. Hey, I live in Texas, that’s how we measure shit.

But I do try to pretend it’s not there. Because I? Do love the junk food. I crave cheeseburgers and fries and fried chicken strips. I believe grease and breading to be the long-lost food group. So I try not to go to Sonic or any other fast food place. But when I do find myself at Sonic because my husband is evil and sometimes I can’t escape it when he’s in the car, I love the Grape Slush (why is it Sonic slushes give Brain Freeze unlike anything else I’ve ever had?) and a grilled cheese with tater tots. yummy.

Shit, I think we might be going to Sonic now for dinner.

Melissa June 10, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Oooh, I loves me some Sonic.

But of course, as you must remember from your NorCal days, I think the closest one is in, what, Tracy? Not practical.

When I go back ‘home’ to Arkansas, I can’t wait to get Limeade and cheesy tater tots.

And I’m still pissed at them for getting rid of my steak sandwich. My sis misses the Pickle-Os.

Jill June 10, 2008 at 6:59 pm

HA! Hubs, Kiddo and I indulged at one of these just this evening. My first drive-in experience and wooo, I know what you mean about those tots!

Our car-hops were on rollerskates (is that a Sonic “thing”?) and the place being very new to the area, they’re not very good yet. I’m waiting for one of them to slide right under a car. (I hope I’m there to catch the tray when they go!)

sarah June 10, 2008 at 7:49 pm

I’ve never even heard of Cakesters. Perhaps I should start paying attention on the cookie isle.

Like Donna, there are a ton of Sonics in my area. One opened a couple months ago that is literally within walking distance. I even use it when giving directions to our house… “turn right at the Sonic.” Yeah, I’m classy.

They have half price drinks from 2-4 in the afternoons, but I don’t let myself go often for fear that some tater tots or chicken strips might jump in to the car as well.

bitca June 10, 2008 at 7:54 pm

mmmm…cheesey tots. Lurve.

Dania June 11, 2008 at 5:56 am

I miss cheesy tater tots :( There is not ONE in Massachusetts. I had my share though last weekend in VA..being pregnant and having cravings for things you can’t have is very, very bad.

I hate MA.

jesser June 11, 2008 at 7:23 am

Gah … it’s sick isn’t it? We’ve got organic everything and PBA free everything and phalathate (or whatever) free everything. It makes you annoyingly virtuous. Though as my husband said, “at least we drive the gas guzzling SUV to pick up our organic produce at the CSA.”

I eat much better than before Tabby was born, I will confess to having a few fastfood weakenesses … Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell, Chili Frito Pies from the evil Sonic, and Corn Dog bites from A&W (though I think I’m cured of this after my last, extremely memorable, visit to this establishment).

geeky June 11, 2008 at 7:48 am

Wait, Sonic has cheesy tater tots? WHY DIDN’T ANYONE TELL ME?!

amber June 11, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Try not to recoil in disgust but I have never been to a Sonics. I know. Tragic.

Suzanne June 11, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I will veer from the “I live in Texas and there is a Sonic every 200 feet” comments (though I live in Texas and there are about 50 Sonics within a 10 mile radius of my house) to weigh in on the CSA thing. We just joined one as well. And I am up to my arse in zucchini. And I have never seen patty pan squash before much less eaten it so I don’t know what to do with that stuff either.

Lenni June 12, 2008 at 6:45 am

FINALLY! Everytime I see a commercial I want to go try that place – but is there one in any reasonable distance? NO. stupid commercials taunting me with things I can’t have. Thats close enough to go to on my lunch break. :)

Deltus June 13, 2008 at 9:07 am

Just have to do some calculations from those two Sonic locations, to calculate your exact position…

Is Sonic food good? I don’t think I’ve ever had it when I was in the US.

girl June 14, 2008 at 11:25 pm

jesus mcfuck I love Sonic. I could totally live on cheesetots (and have a heart attack before the age of 35).