Lap seats under 2? Whose brilliant idea was that?

by statia on May 17, 2008

The Mini and I took a trip yesterday, on a plane. By ourselves. The Mini has flown twice before, but both times, he we still described his age in weeks, so he wasn’t exactly old enough to give us lip, and even though he slept most of the time, we still purchased a seat for him, because even a 10-12lb baby can get heavy after 6 hours of holding them.

Yesterday, I must have dropped acid to think that it was a good idea to let him sit in my lap for two hours. And of course, our flight was delayed, and on top of that, I’m very smart and gave him some orange juice as bribery for being good. That was probably one of the stupidest ideas I ever had, and I am full of stupid ideas. I guess the upside to the sugar high, was the sugar crash, right before we started to taxi.

What is it about flying that makes people break out of their shell and talk to people? I’m sure I’ve blogged about this before, but I have to wonder how many people I’ve had personal conversations over a bag that contains approximately 4 pretzels. I don’t know what it is, but people feel compelled to tell me their life story while on the plane. Most of the time I don’t mind, but sometimes, I want to douse myself in gasoline a la Airplane.

aithne May 17, 2008 at 9:29 am

“Yesterday, I must have dropped acid to think that it was a good idea to let him sit in my lap for two hours.”

You had me laughing hysterically right at the get go!

Then again, it wasn’t me sitting there on the little plane of horrors with a toddler on my lap.

People think you are approachable and you must make them feel safe. Maybe if you walk around with a murderous look on your face, they will leave you alone.

Did you hear any good life stories?

Deltus May 17, 2008 at 8:33 pm

If someone starts talking to you real personally, you give them the crazy eye, like you’re an escaped mental patient or you’re a secret military experiment gone horribly wrong. They’ll leave you alone.

ssfb May 18, 2008 at 9:30 pm

That’s the only advantage of appearing generally unfriendly and standoffish, random people rarely strike up a conversation with me ;)

Helen May 19, 2008 at 7:42 am

I hate the airplane talk. I’ll get my book ready and get my “Hi, I don’t want to talk to you” face set before even getting to the airport.

motel manager May 19, 2008 at 11:37 am

This is good to know. We’ve always purchased a seat for S., but I was considering not doing so for a trip in June because we are taking our babysitter with us ($$$) and an extra seat is money we can’t really afford. But afford it we must, it seems!

suzanne May 20, 2008 at 12:27 pm

I’m with you, the one time I did not get a seat for the baby I thought clearly I was way too stupid to be a parent. That was also the trip where the airline lost our luggage for 2 days and I didn’t have the foresight to pack pajamas in the diaper bag.

We once had a “motivational” speaker at work and the only remotely interesting thing he said was that to discourage people from talking to him he had a book jacket printed that he put on whatever book he was reading at the time and the book jacket said “How to sell insurance to people on airplanes.”

Chris Cactus May 21, 2008 at 8:42 am

Given what happens to me in bathrooms, I’m afraid to fly.

becky May 23, 2008 at 3:55 pm

great. i’m getting ready to do that on tuesday. including the holding in the lap thing. but he’s sat in my lap during a couple of mommy & me-type movies, so i’m hoping two short stints will be okay.

when he gets older, that may be entirely different.