Run Mini, RUN.

by statia on April 21, 2008

The Mini, for the most part, still walks like a drunk. He staggers, he stumbles. He doesn’t watch where he’s going. He’s spent the majority of the last month mastering his ability to run, before he’s mastered his ability to walk. This is really great for my anxiety. I’m not sure when the last time was, that I’ve gotten proper oxygen to my brain. Or when the last time was, that my asshole was fully unpuckered.

We’ve been done with the helmet now for a good month or so. And of course we were really happy to see it go, but some days, I’d love to put it on his head. Because his forehead looks like a war zone. He has at any given time, at least 3 black and blues (or greens and yellows) displayed on his forehead. This is the nature of having a boy, I know. It just didn’t seem like there was so much boy, until recently. It was like he woke up and realized which chromosomes were assigned to him.

I watch his girl friends in our gym and swim play nicely while my friends get to sit for longer than 3 seconds. Meanwhile, I’m holding my breath while chasing a fearless Mini around the room, who is looking for the highest surface to jump from and the pointiest and/or hardest surface to hit his head on. And truthfully, I don’t exactly enjoy it. I love having a boy. Of course, it’s all I know, and I can’t imagine it any other way. I want him to explore and learn and have fun being a kid.

I just don’t really think that blunt head force trauma is fun for either of us.

Shanna April 21, 2008 at 6:19 pm

I don’t think you can really attribute it to boy-ness as much as to Mini-ness. My daughter is the daring, wild one around here; her twin brother tends to be far more cautious when it comes to physical activity. Or maybe just slower.

Karen April 21, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Hi! Long time reader, first time commenter. I too have a 13 month old son and was saying almost the same thing this weekend (except i was a lot more boring with my words). Anyway, this Monday morning our BamBam was taken into public with a huge bruise on his face thanks to falling face first into his toy chest. I was right there…right there but as you know it doesn’t matter. So I feel your pain in every single way and am waiting for Dept. of Children and Family Services to knock on my door when somone reports the black and blue marks.

jesser April 21, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Oh sheesh. My nephew is the same way. Kid thinks he can FLY. T is still not too dangerous since she can’t walk, but just likes to flail out of my arms (and hit her head on a sharp/hard surface if one is available). I am not looking forward to it. But it is smart of you, I think, to not restrain him too much. He will only get more confident in his steps with practice. But yea, a helmet would be super.

Elizabeth April 22, 2008 at 6:11 am

Mine is a couple months older than yours and I have often considered a helmet for him, for my mental health.

On Sunday he ran headlong into a windowsill, scraping 2 inches of skin off his forehead and splitting open his eye crease (SCARIEST THING EVER). Yesterday he came home from daycare with another scratch on his forehead and last night in the process of taking a bath (?!?) he gouged another chunk of skin out of his temple.

I’m just waiting for CPS to show up at my office.

MsPrufrock April 22, 2008 at 7:08 am

Yeah, totally not a boy thing unless P is a boy and the whole female genitals thing is misleading.

We had a period a few months ago when she had an omnipresent bump on the right side of her head. As soon as it would start to go down, she’d bump it again in the very same place and with just as much force.

Good news is, her verbal skills seem to be ok!

geeky April 22, 2008 at 7:52 am

Actually, he probably won’t remember the blunt force trauma thanks to all the blows to the head, so really, you’re the only one that suffers!

waitingline April 22, 2008 at 1:51 pm

OUCH and AH SH*T, I say… I’m already a neurotic mom… first the choking, then the flathead, and now I’ve got the head-bashing to look forward too??!! Yikes!! :-) Then again, wouldn’t have it any other way.

Cheers!

Eva April 23, 2008 at 10:24 am

My kid can injure herself just walking along the carpet, so I figure she might as well be daring sometimes and see what she can do.

huy April 24, 2008 at 8:12 am

My son is the timid one (he’s 4), but we can already see my daughter being the hellion (hellstress?). She’s only 12 months and has no fear and a strong inclination to climb anything in sight.

robyn April 25, 2008 at 2:10 pm

ER fastpass – the gift that keeps on giving.