I know anyone else can’t fathom this

by statia on April 6, 2008

But you know how some nights there’s only 40 very long minutes until bedtime and you can’t wait, because the minute your sweet child goes down, you’re going immediately to the fridge and getting a beer?

I know that can’t be true for any other parent. Nope.

Dooneybug April 6, 2008 at 5:36 pm

There are days when I have fantasies about bedtime that start at 7:45 AM.

Shanna April 6, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Nope. Not true for me. Not at all. I either get myself a glass of wine and a few slices of cheese (erm, like, half a block?), or else I rip the child-lock off of the liquor cabinet and pour myself a double Scotch.

Jen April 6, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Not true AT ALL.

*drinks Captain and Coke…furiously*

Karen April 6, 2008 at 8:13 pm

I stumbled onto your blog last night and wanted to drop a line and let you know how much I enjoyed clicking through your posts. I’m not sure why I didn’t find you sooner as I’ve been reading Pink Martini & Safa Mama for almost a year. Oh I know why…I have a 12 month old and have limited brain energy left. Mine went to sleep late tonight and when he finally fell asleep I was too tired to open a beer can.

donna April 6, 2008 at 8:37 pm

No, surely not. That would be such an un-mom thing to do.

But I do find that the first two hours or so after bedtime, we feel like “blessed peace at last!” and then we start to miss her. Inevitably, one of us pulls up old pictures of her from Flickr and we start to talk about how cute and smart she is. Is that weird?

Helen April 7, 2008 at 4:51 am

I have the corkscrew and the glass lined up and ready just before I take them up to bed.

It’s about being prepared, and about how fast you can get the sweet, sweet alcohol into the bloodstream.

Melissa April 7, 2008 at 6:59 am

Nope not the case for me either!!

huy April 7, 2008 at 7:31 am

beer, wine, liquour, vanilla extract, cough syrup….

electriclady April 7, 2008 at 9:29 am

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I treasure every single moment my preshus angel hideous tantruming baby is awake, and I would never use alcohol to dull the pain of going deaf from those darling shrieks of “NOOOOOOO!”

robyn April 7, 2008 at 10:59 am

You’re supposed to wait until they’re asleep. Damn. *hic*

Jenn April 7, 2008 at 1:17 pm

I can’t figure out why you’d actually wait the 40 minutes :)

jesser April 7, 2008 at 8:07 pm

I have different vices, but I know juuust what you mean. ;)

amishpromqueen April 8, 2008 at 3:59 am

Nope, absolutely no idea what you’re talking about *hides wine glass*

Deltus April 8, 2008 at 7:19 am

And that first big swig of beer, isn’t that the best tasting thing in the world?

motel manager April 8, 2008 at 10:43 am

Wow, you just described every day for me. I might even admit that once or twice I probably shoved S. into bed a bit earlier than he wanted to go to bed JUST SO I COULD HAVE MY WINE. Of course, on some of those nights, I had one sip and then had to re-do the whole sleepytime routine, but whatever. But on other nights, my ploy worked.

Michele April 8, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Isn’t being a mommy the greatest? Look at how much more we appreciate alcohol now…