I hope you liked the middle.

by statia on April 28, 2008

I’ve said it before, but the Mini isn’t a big talker. I have really no idea what he should and shouldn’t be doing at this age. I mean, I have a general idea, yes, but of course, I worry. It’s my job. That said, I know he understands a good portion of what I say to him. Even if it’s not met with words. Whining, yes, but words, no. As long as we understand each other, I guess everything is just peachy.

Suzie sent the Mini one of the two Sandra Boynton books that he didn’t have, which was Snuggle Puppy. He happened to get the book Philadelphia Chickens from his Auntie Helen, which has an actual CD with the Snuggle Puppy song on it. Thank god, because I don’t know that I could make up a tune. That’s just too much pressure. I might have put that song to the tune of Batman.

It takes a few reads (or 30) for him to warm up to a book, but when he does, he’s like every other kid. “Read this until you want to jab your brain with a fork, Mama.” And of course I do, (and of course, I DO) and I love to read this one to him, because I went overboard on the kiss part of the book, by making giant, high pitched MWAH! sounds. And now, he leans in at every opportunity to get his kiss. He’ll even “read” the book to himself, and then come over to me for a kiss. You probably heard my heart permanently liquify in puddle on his bedroom floor.

There’s just no mistaking understanding like that.

jesser April 28, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Does he scream at you every two seconds when it gets about an hour away from bedtime or sometimes at other (rather unpredictable) times?!?! Because my ears freaking HURT. I just want to scream back “USE YOUR WORDS.” Yes … where are those words? I am hoping we’re on the verge of words because she’d put away her “whoosat, whassat” phrases for a month or so and now she has to know what everyone and everything is. 10x over.

I love that he’s giving kisses. That can melt me and bring me back from the brink like nothing else. I’d probably hand her a knife if she screamed for it and then gave me a kiss.

shanna April 29, 2008 at 4:45 am

I cannot [i]stand[/i] the Snuggle Puppy tune on P.C. I chanted it kinda rap-like before we had the CD, and I still do now, because….*shudder*. But Belly Button (Round)? All kinds of awesome.

Deltus April 29, 2008 at 7:25 am

I love the nonsense “reading” babble they do. They can’t read and they can’t talk, but by god, they know you’re supposed to make noise with the mouth when you look at the book.

Michele April 29, 2008 at 12:35 pm

That melts me, just reading your post. :) How I love being a mama.

Suzanne April 30, 2008 at 12:31 pm

When we went for my daughter’s 9 month appointment her ped said he was “slightly concerned” that she was not babbling at all and we should keep an eye on it. So of course I sort of freaked. Luckily I have a friend who has a doctorate in speech pathology so I called her. She had awesome advice:

1. There is a WIDE range of normal.
2. The big milestone she looks for is one word by 18 months (doesn’t have to sound exactly like a word, but a word that clearly represents something).
3. Receptive language is a bigger indicator of issues. If it seems as though your child understands what you say but just isn’t very vocal, that is less worrisome.
4. A small percentage of children are “gestalt” talkers. They don’t babble or gradually build a vocabulary. They start talking in complete sentences, and they do it later.
5. Babies can only either work on gross motor skills or fine motor skills. If they are perfecting a gross motor skill like walking they will put speech on the back burner.

Carrie April 30, 2008 at 4:52 pm

There is an actual TUNE for Snuggle Puppy?!?! Ok, you HAVE to find some way of letting me hear that because I love that book but I suck at making up a tune. I & K just look at me like I am a dork when I read it to them.

The Mini sounds like he is right on track, don’t worry. K is almost 16 mos old and only says 3 words – all of which she has picked up in the past month. If he seems to understand you then he is FINE. Enjoy this time because – TRUST ME – there will be a time in the not-so-distant future when you won’t be able to get him to SHUT UP!!!! :)

Erika April 30, 2008 at 6:54 pm

I love Snuggle Puppy, but our song was better than the CD. I need to get it back in our rotation and try the kiss sound effect. She only leans in to kiss her daddy right now. It actually makes us laugh. How sweet motherhood is.

Kris May 1, 2008 at 12:26 pm

OMG! Sandra Boynton Rocks. You have got to get Rhinoceros Tap on CD, if only for the Lonely Peas, The Crabby Song, Bad Babies (great for big brudders and sisters especially, but also just for general goofing around), and Tropical Sand songs.

My girls are almost 11 and 8 and they still ask me to sing them Little One at night sometimes.

My favorite SB book – Dinosaurs!

Kris May 1, 2008 at 12:32 pm

P.S. Suzanne’s #5 is dead on!

(They’re all true, but #5 is where they worry you to death half the time.)