Do you brown bag?

by statia on April 8, 2008

It’s funny how you tend to run in blog circles with people that are kind of walking in the same phase of life that you are. Jess and I have tots that are a day apart, and we email on a regular-ish basis. Normal emails consist of “sweet mother of GOD, how are they capable of this already at this age?” and other gems such as “So I was breaking into the liquor cabinet post bedtime, and I realized I was out of vodka.” You know, the normal stuff that parents of toddlers email about. I think I see that last sentence in at least 47 emails a day from random people. “Did I mention I’m out of vodka?” “But you don’t understand, I DON’T HAVE ANY VODKA!!”

And then I see this sentence “We’ve been looking at preschools……”

And I realize, that there isn’t enough vodka to drown out the noise level in my brain, or the twitching of that sentence, because, PRESCHOOL? Are you kidding me? I thought I had time before I had to think about that? Something like 22 years.

I think I’m getting hives.

Kris April 8, 2008 at 10:08 am

Know when I worried about preschool? When they were 4; about two months before preschool started.

And no, we didn’t pay for preschool either. If you have to pay, don’t send them. Teach them at home. It’s really only for mom to get a break for a few hours a day. Seriously.

electriclady April 8, 2008 at 10:14 am

GAAAAH!!!

My coworker, whose daughter is almost exactly one year older than BG, spent all last fall/winter applying to/interviewing at preschools for this coming fall. So: her kid was 18 MONTHS OLD and they were going on INTERVIEWS. Are you kidding me?

My approach is to bury my head in the sand. Not like we can afford stupid NYC preschool tuition anyway. My kid will just have to stay home and play with sharp sticks and bits of string.

Shanna April 8, 2008 at 11:46 am

No joke, registration for Sept 2009 at our desired preschool opens on May 9 of this year – and we have been, er, strongly advised to show up with applications and tuition deposits in-hand first thing in the morning that day. At least there’s no interview – spots are first-come but within certain categories (synagogue members – not us – have first dibs, and then I thing siblings of students).

Deltus April 8, 2008 at 1:38 pm

I’m with Kris on this one. It’s glorified babysitting. Interviews? Are you fucking kidding me??

suzanne April 8, 2008 at 4:15 pm

I got all excited when I saw that our school district then found out it’s only for children whose first language is Spanish. It seemed like a lot of work for us to all learn Spanish then start speaking it so we can take advantage of FREE pre-kindergarten. Any school that requires interviews, lots of money, or more than a few months waiting list is one that my kid won’t be attending.

suzanne April 8, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Ok, I guess I jumped ahead of myself in the “baby is asleep” giddiness (and all the talk of vodka). To clarify, our school district has free pre-kindergarten (for non english speakers).

jesser April 8, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Luckily we haven’t been summoned for interviews so far (that might scare me off permanently) and it seems to be mostly the all-day programs that have wait lists, no doubt because there are so few of them and so many of us working stiffs who would like to at least have the illusion of giving our kids something better than “daycare.” If I were just looking for a four hour break for mommy I could figure something out on her third birthday, but as it is, this is what I’ve got to work with. Insane as it seems.

Helen April 9, 2008 at 2:14 am

Two months ago we signed up on the waiting list for the babies’ school.

School.

In 2012.

I had to weep for a while.

Darren Shetler April 9, 2008 at 6:31 am

Yea, Dylan (who turns 2 in May) is enrolled in pre-school for September…yah..CRAZY!!

mmm, Vodka..Thanks for that!

Jenn April 9, 2008 at 1:24 pm

I’m still debating whether they’ll even GO to preschool, much less actually picking one yet. I figure if I ignore it long enough, it’ll go away.

Zhu April 9, 2008 at 2:49 pm

My friend is pregnant right now (first one of my friend getting pregnant… I should get used to it!) and she is so stressed out about things I didn’t even know they existed.

Like pre-schools waiting lists. Or natal yoga classes waiting lists. Or whatever waiting-lists. Seems like when you have young kids, you’re always on a waiting list…

Meredith April 9, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Pre what?! We have no plans to think about school…it didn’t even occur to me to think about it….I’m almost feeling bad that I didn’t think about…luckily I’ve decided that I’m morally opposed to paying for school prior to college, so I don’t have to feel bad after all. (Although…if Mr. Pithy, who is actually home with Finn all day, told me that he’d like a break, I could see a couple of hours a day happening like, maybe in another two years…)