two to one.

by statia on February 20, 2008

In two weeks, the Mini will turn one year old.

I’m having an extremely hard time with this. I had a hard time when he turned a week old. Everything in between that and about 9 months, I was alright with. “I have a while before we hit one” I’d think to myself, until it just kind of crept up on me. And here we are. My son may not officially be a toddler until he turns one, I don’t know, but he’s a toddler now. He toddles. He walks. He communicates on some level, he’s able to charm the pants off of people. Which when you’re standing in line at the post office, as someone is handing your son their pants, it’s just weird.

I’m not ready for it. I don’t want it to happen, but there’s nothing in my power I can do to stop it. So of course we’ll celebrate. But inside, my heart will be breaking.

He’s not a baby anymore, and I want my baby back.

Michele February 20, 2008 at 9:35 am

I know the same heartbreak. It’s a double edge sword. Wait till he says “I looou too mama” Makes it a little bit better. Happy early birthday mini!

Deltus February 20, 2008 at 1:27 pm

There’s all sorts of milestones like that with children growing up, I’ve been told.

MsPrufrock February 20, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I was going to give you one of those toddler-esque milestone moments to cheer you up too. Oh hell, I’ll just go with it. P emptied all of her drawers the other day and scattered the clothing around the room. It was an absolute mess. When confronted by me and asked the rhetorical question, “Who did this?”, the little person shouted, “DAD!”

See, babies can’t make shit up about their dads messing up their rooms, now can they?

Tracy February 20, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Hah. My BABY registered for high school a few weeks ago. If you think the end of baby-hood is hard, try realizing your child is becoming a real semi-independent adult-type person. Try understanding that they can actually survive in the world possibly without you. Oh, and also? That the fact that you have a child going to high school means you are old.

But, you know, I’m not bitter or depressed about this or anything.

Also, it occurs to me that this is how people end up having 17 children. They see one leave the baby stage and they think…you know…there’s room for one more…and they adopt or give birth, and next thing you know, you’re giving Michelle Duggar a run for her money.

Chris February 20, 2008 at 6:42 pm

One year already? How the hell did that happen?

Camille February 20, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Oh, I don’t even want to hear it! In my eyes you still have your baby. Mine is going to be four in less than two months and he’s getting to where he hugs and kisses me less and less. And certainly doesn’t let me hold him for more than 3 seconds at a time. At least you still have cute baby rolls, and he doesn’t back-talk you. Seriously though. It really does go by too fast, and I can’t believe your mini is about to be one. Wow.

ssfb February 20, 2008 at 9:48 pm

I just looked at the photos for the first time in at least 5 months and I’ll just come right out and say it… he’s beautiful, I’d hand him my pants in the post office too, you can’t blame the adoring public.

Sami February 21, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Holy cannoli – he’ll be one shortly… EEK… He’ll always be your baby – even if he’s a toddler and that’s a-okay.

LOL about the pants in the post office… only your child :D

Lisa February 22, 2008 at 5:15 am

I can’t begin to imagine how hard this is for you, but it seems exciting too. Congrats on having a nearly-one-year-old!

Kathy February 23, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Aww. If it’s any consolation, the next year will be a total blast. They’re so much fun once they get to this age and it just gets more entertaining every day.

(I swear I wrote that whole comment without a twinge of sarcasm. Really. I’m impressed with myself.)

becky February 23, 2008 at 11:11 pm

crying over here because i have to leave my baby for the first time starting monday.

i feel ya, man.

but this post makes me wonder “where did the german go?”

AJ February 25, 2008 at 11:29 am

Mine turns one on the 16th and I’m trying to figure out how to not spend the whole day crying. I didn’t expect it to all go by sooo fast. I want another one! (But hubby says no way)
On the upside, it gets more and more fun everyday …
Happy Birthday.