I’ll take one tall order, with a side of slaw, please

by statia on February 25, 2008

I’ve mentioned previously, that I love our stroller, but, and it’s a big but, as the Mini has gotten older, and I’ve gotten to be more of a seasoned parent, there are some things about it that I’m not thrilled about. I opted for this stroller for a lot of reasons, one of them being that it had a pram, which at the time was a little harder to find than it is now. A lot more people are getting back into prams.

So I’m in the market for a new stroller. The caveat is that I’m a big time stroller snob. I tend to steer clear of the major brands. For one, a lot of them are ugly as sin, with insane prints. Secondly, I don’t want a stroller that everyone else has. But that’s the least of it and I’m beginning to realize that unless I go with the traditional stroller, I’m just not going to find what I want.

Which is:
- a snack tray, or room for an aftermarket one.
- a damn tray for me with a cup holder.
- ample storage underneath
- the abilty to recline the seat both straight up (right now, the seat we have sits at a slight recline, which I think annoys him, and makes him hunch to the side and whine incessantly), and also flat so that the mini can lay down. I don’t want an all in one seat. He has that now, and really, sleeping with your legs up in the air just can’t be comfortable.
-decent sized sun shade.
- the handlebar must be a bar, and not two handles.
- bitch has to have tires, not chintzy wheels.
- the ability to turn the seat around so that it faces both ways. Bonus if you can just move the handlebar to accomplish this.
- It cannot be a Bugaboo. I hate the Bugaboo.

I was looking at the mutsy urban rider, and the bumbleride queen bee, or indie, but with the mutsy and queen bee, they have standard accessories that we just don’t need anymore, and it seems frivolous to spend money on something we’ll probably never use. The reviews on the indie are still to be determined, but from what I can see, it doesn’t lay flat. That’s one of my musts.

Wow, this was really boring.

Kris February 25, 2008 at 7:30 am

Consider this before you spend big bucks to get what you want: some kids, once they can walk, will NOT use a stroller. And sometimes it’s not worth the trouble/aggravation/screaming to try to force them.

My first never used a crib either. Weird damn kids. I have no idea where they get it from.

jesser February 25, 2008 at 8:35 am

This cracks me up … because I was just fascinated by this post and I cannot wait to see what you find. This is what my life has been reduced to. In a good way, of course. Haha.

We have a Chicco which is fine … but not the best. It doesn’t sit all the way up and it seems to annoy Tabby as well. We also have a Kelty jogging stroller which is great except that it has a fixed front wheel. Forget about taking it ANYWHERE besides the trails. Our friend has a BOB which is good too, but soooo wide. Oh my word. Thing is a beast. To be fair it’s a double … oh god, this is such a boring comment.

DD February 25, 2008 at 8:53 am

Stroller snob.

UPPAbaby Vista
Rock Star Baby Infinity
Britax Viguor

I must be a stroller snob, too.

Shanna February 25, 2008 at 8:57 am

I just gotta say: Shit, lady, you ARE picky.

Let me know what you come up with, because clearly you would hate the Mountain Buggy Urban (which is what we have).

Deltus February 25, 2008 at 9:41 am

At least you know what it is that you want. My wife sells stuff like this, and so many people come in and have absolutely no idea what it is they want or what they should get. They usually end up buying the cheapest, and not being happy (which my wife tells them they won’t).

Do let us know which (if any) you choose. I second Kris in that your toddler might not tolerate strollers for much longer.

DD February 25, 2008 at 9:56 am

I sent you an email with another option, but I thought, “Hey! Why be selfish. Stroller snobs are everywhere!”

I’m secretly coveting one myself, but unless the thing will walk itself and change the baby’s diaper, it ain’t goin to happen.

Amyesq February 25, 2008 at 7:47 pm

We like the Mountain Buggy Urban too so I don’t think I can help you.

becky February 26, 2008 at 10:23 pm

baby trend expedition. has everything but being able to turn the seat around. BUT it does have a little see-thru window so you can look at him even with the shade pulled down. very maneuverable. love this stroller. really, i do.

April March 1, 2008 at 9:12 am

Patrick: Rock Star Baby stroller was designed by Jon Bon Jovi??? No. We are not buying that. On principle.

April: But it’s cool.

Patrick: But it was DESIGNED by JON BON JOVI. End of story. What’s the next one on the list?

lani March 9, 2008 at 8:03 pm

This doesn’t fit all your criteria, but something worth checking out. Phil & Teds strollers at http://www.philandteds.com/nz/index.htm. Or the B.O.B. If you find something you like, you might be able to find some accessories (trays, drink holders, etc.) to meet your other criteria.

lani March 9, 2008 at 8:20 pm

This doesn’t fit all your criteria, but something worth checking out. Phil & Teds strollers or the B.O.B. strollers. If you find something you like, you might be able to find some accessories (trays, drink holders, etc.) to meet your other criteria. I just bought these trays from One Step Ahead for my boys carseats on the recommendation of a friend. They look like they’d work with strollers, too. Good luck.

robyn March 10, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Avoid Peg Perego like the plague. We sold ours on eBay almost as soon as we got it. Love my Combi one, just wish the handles were taller — but you won’t have that problem. ;-)