Here I go

by statia on February 14, 2008

The Mini isn’t really a talker. I talk to him, we read him stacks of books at least three times a day, but most of the time, he just gives me a blank stare, which makes me feel as if I’m doing something wrong. I’m sure that at some point, the language explosion will come, but for now, it’s pretty much a few simple words, and one of them isn’t “Mama.”

We watch our beloved signing time DVD’s which he loves. And sometimes, this kid just blows my mind. Out of the blue he’ll say “car” and it takes me a minute to realize he is using it in association, just not the association of what it really is. And I realize, he’s saying “car” to the “Here I Go” song. He does this with the sign for “milk” and also the sign for “wash hands.” It’s so bizarre the random signs he picks up? I’m trying to work with him on Please and Thank you, but those? Oh forget it. “Why should I say please, lady? Now hand over the ball and no one gets hurt.”

Meredith February 15, 2008 at 4:35 am

Okay, so when the Mini started walking I commented that Finn wasn’t even close and look what happened. So, it is with some hope that I report that Finn doesn’t talk at all unless you count “Ba!” which stands for whatever it is that he wants at the moment. He can say “mama,” but I’m not sure he associates it with me.

bitca February 15, 2008 at 5:23 am

Mini – “Give me the ball!”
You – “What do we say, Mini?”
Mini – “NOW.”

ewe_are_here February 15, 2008 at 5:37 am

I honestly don’t expect to hear much in the way of real words for at least another six months from Baby Boo…;-)

Kris February 15, 2008 at 6:32 am

I know it’s probably the last thing you want to hear (hear…talking…get it? *snort*), but enjoy the quiet while you still can, because later on when you hear quiet in your house it will mean send out a search party or be prepared for a BIG mess somewhere. (They can’t make noise and mess at the same time – not real mess anyway. Quiet is the time we say, “Oh crap. What’s she up to?”)

And once they start talking, they. don’t. stop.

Jen(aside) February 15, 2008 at 7:23 am

Sammi, my nineteen month old, says, “HI.” That’s it. She doesn’t make any other sounds, doesn’t speak any other words, doesn’t make any sign language.

Just, “Hi.”

Deltus February 15, 2008 at 9:05 am

Yeah, later on the problem becomes getting them to shut the fuck up. There’s just no happy medium.

jesser February 15, 2008 at 11:36 am

They are so incredible. Tabby just started saying “uh-oh” this week (as in uh-oh, I just threw my plate of spaghetti across the room) and for a while, I had no idea where it came from. Daddy and I are much more likely to say “oh shit!” (note to self, clean up language) and then I realized, she got it from our friend’s little guy … who also taught her “tuttle” (turtle). It just seems to happen overnight.