From then on, wherever I went, I…was….RUNNING.

by statia on February 5, 2008

DSC_4691.jpgThe Mini turned 11 months old today. This is the last month I have before he turns a whole year old. It makes me sick to my stomach, and I find myself jealous over pregnant women, and women with babies younger than mine, if for no other reason, than to have the tininess back. And maybe the baby squeaking. Baby squeaks are the ultimate in cuteness. Because I can tell you, I sure as hell don’t want to be pregnant again.

Remember the other day when I was all tweaked out how I was on borrowed time in regards to the Mini walking? What was that, six days ago? Yeah, it was so borrowed, I could have just used an egg timer, because three days after that, he was walking. And now he runs down the hallway. He still falls, don’t get me wrong, and if he’s tired and feeling particularly lazy he’ll crawl, but he’s been working himself to the ground mastering this task, and even the crawling is becoming increasingly rare. If he’s really tired, he prefers to just get up over and over and over and over, until he gets good and pissed off. And then he throws a tantrum. It’s made things extremely fun when we’re out and about and we make him sit in the stroller, because “Woman? The stroller is for chumps.” I really and truly never thought that my child would be trying to walk at 10.5 months, and I sure as hell never thought he’d be walking at 11 months old. Of course, I’m proud of him. Just looking at the pride on his face is enough to make me melt. But I was in no rush for him to start walking. And it’s truly bizarre to see someone so small, running around in my house. I mean, he’s like all of 31-32 inches. It’s just so weird.

Ahhhh, Does anyone know if Vodka comes in IV form?

Of course, the big thing this month is his helmet, which, I may have casually mentioned. I can honestly say, that I really hate that he’s wearing it, and it sucks to see him so uncomfortable at night when he’s trying to go to sleep. I know if I had to wear something like that on my head while I was trying to lay there for hours on end, staring at the ceiling sleep, I would go even more insane than I already am. However, it couldn’t have come at a better time, because with all of the crashing head first into furniture, and diving head first off the sofa, I feel as if he stands a chance now at only being mildly retarded as opposed to severely brain damaged, thanks to the cushioning inside of it. Somewhere along the way, my baby turned into a danger baby.

The Mini is not much of a talker at all. He refuses to parrot us, and only says “car”, with no association, at least not that I’m sure of. And “milk” which he absolutely uses with association. He also refuses to listen to us, or even make eye contact when we repeat his name over and over and over, which is just great. Not even a year old, and he already has selective hearing. I know he can hear and understand us just fine, because he can turn the pages of books on command and if I say the words “Signing Time”, he comes running like the dog from the Chuck Wagon commercials*. He won’t hand anything over if you ask, and forget about stackers and shape sorters. He wants no part of it. He can make a basket on his little basketball toy, but otherwise, “I’m not your monkey, woman.”

Right after he turned 10 months, he finally decided that he wanted to feed himself solid foods. I’m really lucky that he’s a great eater. We literally feed him everything except eggs, nuts and honey. Maybe he’ll go through a picky phase, but we’re generally anti convenience foods, and eat pretty healthy ourselves, so who knows. And once I switched over to an extremely heavy stainless steel cup, he decided at that point, that was the one he wanted to hold. And because of that, drinks more water. Yet, he refuses to hold his own bottle. It’s completely a comfort thing for him, I think, and at this point, he’s not going to start, because with weeks to go on formula, we’ve been trying to wean off of bottles. He still gets three a day. I’m kind of stressed on the weaning. The morning one will be the easiest, but the afternoon and bedtime bottle are going to be hell. And I don’t even want to think about it. I know I’ll miss it, but I also don’t want him to be two years old and still needing a bottle to go to sleep.

It’s so funny. I never really knew what to expect from him at this age. I’ve been around lots of kids, but I guess because they weren’t mine, I didn’t really pay attention. Overall, he’s completely average. He has somewhat of a difficult personality. He’s generally happy, but he gets frustrated really easily. I can honestly say, he’s a joy to be around. And I really do love being his mother. I love hanging out with him, and am amazed at how far he’s come in just 11 months. Watching a baby master something that seems like it just comes naturally to us, is pretty damned cool.

Side note: Looking back on that commercial, nothing has changed about advertising. Hard dog food, in pebble form, that turns back into nice juicy tender chunks of meat when mixed with water. And it wasn’t even really meat to begin with.

M@ February 5, 2008 at 8:15 pm

I’ve heard that if you drink isopropyl alcohol they will give you a ethyl alcohol IV. :)

M@ February 5, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Kris February 5, 2008 at 8:19 pm

HAH! My oldest walked at just 10 months and freaked us out totally. She could climb LONG before she could walk and I’d find her on top of video cabinets. It was like some ghost was in the house, picking her up and placing her there. And she was QUICK.

You’re in for a heck of a ride, but like you said, that headgear will come in handy!

(I make a horrible preggo, too. I can’t wait to be a grandma, so I have all the benefits and can ship them home when I’m done playing.)

Lisa February 6, 2008 at 12:06 pm

What a busy little man!

Dooneybug February 6, 2008 at 1:53 pm

I know, this last month of baby hood and then you have a toddler thing…it blows the mind. My son just turned 20 months today and let me tell you, he is the most fun little thing on two feet around these parts. Sure, we have our battles of will but the age that the Mini is coming into will be so fun for everyone. I’m so sorry about the helmet, I can’t imagine how uncomfortable that must be for him. I really hope his body’s response is quick so that he can stop wearing it. Enjoy this last month before you have a one year old running around!

Meredith February 6, 2008 at 4:03 pm

I knew he was going to be walking! Knew it! I have to say, that this is one milestone that I’m REALLY not ready for. As for the helmet, ugh, I cannot imagine how annoying it must be for him. Poor little one!

jesser February 7, 2008 at 5:00 am

Run, Forest, Run!!! It is so interesting in how they develop and change. It really does happen over night and takes you completely by surprise. “Wait! He couldn’t do that yesterday, could he?!?”

And I completely know what you mean about not knowing what to expect. I guess I never paid attention either … or at least took any mental notes. It’s so diffrent when they’re yours.

Deltus February 7, 2008 at 2:27 pm

I love reading your posts about the little guy, as it reminds me of how things were with my two girls when they were just wee. In some ways, it feels like yesterday. In others, like 10 years ago. Weird.

Camille February 8, 2008 at 12:25 pm

We weaned G from the bottle on the day of his first birthday. Several weeks leading up to his first b-day I kept telling him that he wasn’t going to get a bottle after his birthday. I didn’t know if he really understood, but apparently he did. The night before his first birthday I told him, “This is your last bottle” and the next day – no more bottles. Never even asked for one after that. And I was totally worried about the night time bottle. Try it. I swear it works! We’ve done the “warning” thing a lot with him and it seems to work every time. This year, on his 4th b-day, he is no longer allowed to take Green Blankieā„¢ on trips with him. So, in two months…Green Blankieā„¢ has to stay home.

aithne February 10, 2008 at 5:08 pm

I too am with Deltus. Though for me it has been 17 years instead of ten.

And I am so glad to know that the twins were not the only babies who refused to hold their bottles.

I don’t think they held them more then once or twice. We have pictures of them trying to slurp off them while they lay on the high chair tray, hands to their sides!

Love my visits here!

Motel Manager February 11, 2008 at 6:20 pm

You may be aware of this, but he is really fucking cute, even from behind!

Pamela February 12, 2008 at 4:57 pm

I’m with Deltus…

My boy is almost 22, now!

It’s kind of an amazing thing, to see (and read) your stories; how you’ve gone full circle from a single girl in Philly.

This photo of the Mini is precious!

Ready, Steady, Go!