All shook up about powder sessions

by statia on February 1, 2008

We picked up the Mini’s cranial band on Monday. He’s adjusting to it rather well, which I was kind of worried about, especially given his freak out in the office when they were adjusting it. He should be sleeping in it at night, starting today, but after about 11-12 hours straight, he had a momentary lapse of freaking out. I can’t say that I blame him, as it makes his head sweat something fierce, and I know that his head will adjust, but seriously, could they layer it with something more absorbing? I realize that it’s more sanitary this way, but these kids have to wear them 23 hours a day for months. You’d think they’d have come up with a better way to make it so that they didn’t have to deal with the constant wet slimy feeling rubbing against their forehead.

All in all, I’m pretty pleased that he doesn’t really fuss much when we put it on him. We take it off about four times a day to sanitize it, and give his head a break, usually during meals and bath time. I know this is for the greater good, but it’s killing me not to be able to kiss his head. All I want to do is hug him tightly. Especially before he learns that he can head butt us as a means of thwarting us, because GOD, stop kissing my head already.

Given that he’s on the older end of the spectrum, I’m going to guess that he’s going to have to wear this for about 6 months, which puts us to August, and if his head is sweaty now, I don’t even want to THINK about the smell that will permeate this thing in the dead of summer. Let’s hope we see improvement more quickly, so that we can shorten his sentence in this thing.

Even though it looks pretty bitchin’. Yes?

Jenn February 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Bitchin’ helmet.

There’s a phrase I didn’t think I’d ever say.

Kate February 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Can you get some kind of moisture-wicking thin fabric to put in between?

ewe_are_here February 2, 2008 at 12:58 am

Love the skull…

Poor wee boy. I hope it works quickly so he can discard it and you can get back to too much head kissing. (I do the same thing.)

Jill February 2, 2008 at 3:57 am

De-lurking to say…
at least there’s an opening where you can still smooch his (sweaty) head. Kickass design!

Meredith February 2, 2008 at 7:55 am

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen! Minus the sweat and the annoyance and un-kissability….well, it looks good anyway!

As for walking, go Mini! It’s funny how Finn was so gung ho about sitting, standing, and crawling, but he just shows zero interest in walking. Mini won this milestone race!

Meredith February 2, 2008 at 7:58 am

By the way, I hope that you know that by “cool,” I mean love your design. Not that having to wear it is somehow “great.”

tricia February 2, 2008 at 3:16 pm

badass!

Suz February 2, 2008 at 6:20 pm

It looks so awesome. Much better than the ones that the twins had. Wish I had something to say about the sweatiness, but the twins’ helmets had the exact same problem.

Suz February 2, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Suz February 2, 2008 at 6:21 pm

jesser February 2, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Awww… I hate that he has to go through this, but hopefully it’s for the greater good. He sounds like he’s being a trooper about it. and yep … bitchi. ;)

aithne February 3, 2008 at 4:43 pm

I like the skull. How do you sanitize it? Yucky for him now but hey, you are doing something about instead of ignoring it and that is just one of those things as parents we hate to do as far as making decisions.

Have you thought of the powders at Lush? They have some great absorbing ones and they are supposed to be all natural.

I am thinking a head butt from one of those would really hurt. If he is like the twins, he will learn that your reaction causes great amusement to him!

Tonya February 4, 2008 at 10:07 pm

I LOVE that you put that skull on it. Huzzah to you for biting the bullet and doing the hard parenting thing, and with kickass style to boot. May his stint be shorter than expected.

Tuesday February 5, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Int he summer it is the WORST! and we went to Florida with it!

use the highest amount of rubbing alcohol you can find and leave it in the sun the dry that is the only thing to help it NOT smell like feet.

Deltus February 7, 2008 at 2:21 pm

The skull makes it cool. It’ll all be worth it for his better-shaped head.