One foot, in front of the other.

by statia on January 31, 2008

The Mini never really had any sort of desire to move or explore his surroundings for a very long time. If I put a toy out of his reach, he had no interest in trying to get it. I could leave him on the floor, in one spot, and if I walked away (theoretically) for ten minutes, he’d still be in the same spot, occupying himself. And it worried me, this “I’m not interested in your little games” kind of attitude. Even his my beloved laptop wasn’t enough incentive for him to want to move.

And one day, he just got up, and kind of took off. It was pretty much that sudden. And that was pretty much the end of my being able to do anything ever again. People ask me often, “does he do anything SLOWLY?” And I give them this pained look of sheer exhaustion. That answers their question.

Not long after came the pulling up (despite my telling a friend “I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready for pulling up yet.”), and then the cruising. The steps leading up to walking have been much more gradual of a process, and I should be happy about that. I’m not ready for the walking, and now it looks like my borrowed time is quickly diminishing because I think we’ve got a walker on our hands. The Mini has been able to go from a sitting to a standing position, without holding onto anything for support. And one step has turned into two, and then three, four and five. And I wonder what the hell happened to the kid that just wanted to sit in one spot?

I don’t think it’s so much the walking that’s bothering me. It’s more the fact that he’s moving onto toddlerhood, and given the fact that we’re most likely not having anymore, I feel as if my heart is being violently ripped from my chest, every single day.

ewe_are_here February 1, 2008 at 12:29 am

It goes so quickly… one day they’re just up, and then wham, they’re running away from you. Sob.

MsPrufrock February 1, 2008 at 4:23 am

I know how you feel, and sometimes I do miss P being a cute, preshus little baybee. However, toddlerhood is a very exciting time and watching The Mini start to walk and talk will open you up to a whole other aspect of parenting. Quite often I just stare at P doing something new and amazing and I feel like I’m about to burst with pride and all-consuming love. They start to absorb so much from 12 months onward. Trust me, you may lament the passed days of babyhood sometimes, but you will love watching the Mini become a proper little person. If you don’t, you know where to find me to kick my head in for lying to you.

Amanda February 1, 2008 at 5:47 am

Lily stayed a baby for a lot longer than most – she was tiny at birth and at 10 months is still only 16lbs – but I still mourn her babyhood.

I bet the Mini will continue to amaze you in new and exciting ways though. Even if it still sucks.

jesser February 1, 2008 at 5:57 am

Umm… yea. They’ll be 1 year old in A MONTH. How the hell did that happen??? I was fat and uncomfortable just what? yesterday??? The fact that he’s walking just makes it so much more real for me. Tabby is not there yet, but she will be before I know it. I’m not ready for her to be a toddler. It is amazing though to think how far they’ve come …

DD February 1, 2008 at 7:01 am

While I desperately miss the infancy (which may explains my current situation born out of desperation), the Mini just will move into other stages that you will miss just as much. Right now XBoy is writing notes to us: he tells us what he wants to write and we spell it out to him. So now on my bathroom mirror is a note he wrote and cut out for us to keep. It says, “I love my Mom and Dad.” It makes me weepy just thinking about it.

electriclady February 1, 2008 at 7:29 am

Watch out–it only takes about a week to go from “five tentative steps” to “careening into the kitchen at Mach 5 and dumping the entire contents of the cat’s food bowl on the floor.”

I only recently realized that the fact that we’re likely not having another means that I will never have a little squeezable lump of pudge to coo over. But then BG walked over, handed me a book, and held up her arms to be picked up, and I got over it right quick.

(PS Thanks for the plagio info…not sure yet what we’re going to do.)

Chris Cactus February 1, 2008 at 10:35 am

I will tell you this – some of the new things they do make up for the fact that they’re no longer babies.

robyn February 2, 2008 at 9:55 pm

And as big as you think he is now, you’ll look back at these photos three years from now and marvel over “how tiny he was back then”. Don’t blink. They grow up on us way too fast!

Deltus February 7, 2008 at 2:19 pm

I’m with Robyn on this. I blinked, and now Katie is 6.5 and Allie is 4.5. WTF?