A new hat

by statia on January 10, 2008

After months and months of debating over the whole plagiocephaly thing, I finally got pissed off enough to call the neurologist back. See, back in September, we saw a neurologist for the Mini’s lopsided head. To the naked eye, if you haven’t seen him before, you don’t notice it. To us, his parents, the obvious lopsidedness is glaring. It pisses me off. It pisses me off because every doctor has said “oh, it’s not that bad, it’s just the natural curve of his head.” Which, given the fact that both of his grandfather’s are bald, chances of him keeping his hair is pretty slim when he gets older. It sucks, but it’s a fact of life.

To us, it IS that bad. If you look at him from the back, the right side of his head is flat, and the left is rounded, and the top kind of slopes funny due to the skull’s angle. When you look at him in the mirror, it’s even more glaring, because you’re obviously looking at it transposed. The doctor said that this late in life, he doesn’t think there will be any improvement, and if there is, it’ll be very minimal. My old pal google, pulls up stories of children getting fitted at 14 months and still seeing a remarkable improvement. Some cases were more severe, and some weren’t. As his mother, his head shape eats at me every day. If there was nothing that I could do about it, that would be one thing, but there is something I can do about it, and I feel like if I don’t at least give it a shot, it will eat at me every day for the rest of my life.

Anyone have any encouraging stories of their kid getting a helmet after 9 months and seeing a difference?

donna January 10, 2008 at 8:12 am

I think my nephew got it at 7 or 8 months and only wore it until 1 year and it made a huge difference. That’s my $.02. Helpful, no?

jesser January 10, 2008 at 8:21 am

DOCTORS.* Geez. They think they know absolutely everything there is to know and if you DARE question their wisdom, you’re labeled as a problem parent. I say if you think it will help, push for it. Your his mom, for chrissakes … who knows him better??

* I am just doctor hating a bit because of our experience with the crappy pediatric urologist. I really have no problem with most doctors.

Suz January 10, 2008 at 9:20 am

We got the twins helmets when they were almost nine months and saw improvements very quickly. We got them fitted right before a growth spurt, which really helped.

Amanda January 10, 2008 at 11:59 am

My cousin got her boy fitted around 9 months – some improvement. Worth a shot

Tuesday January 11, 2008 at 9:41 am

My son (a twin) was fitted with his helmet at 8 months and did very well. i thinkt he head stops growing as rapidly after 12 months, but why not get it for him? Even some correction is better then none.

Only my husband and I really see the little bit of flat on his head that is left fromt eh positional plagio. Still his bike helmet doesn’t fit perfectly 100% and if I could have done more, I would have.
I say go for it!

Kris January 12, 2008 at 7:45 am

I took the liberty of asking a friend whose son had a helmet. This is what she said:

I just looked it up, and he was actually about 8-9 months old when he started the band. His head is still lopsided in the back, but I think it’s because we stopped treatment too soon. He only wore it for a few months.

The timing was actually pretty good because it was right when he was pulling up and learning to walk, and he fell on his head a lot. It was kind of an added bonus.”

Not sure it helps, but figured the more info via personal experiences (rather than just medical data) you can get, the better.

Steff January 13, 2008 at 4:55 pm

No personal facts to support helmet or not, however, Mother’s Intuition is screaming – must give it a shot.

Stephanie January 14, 2008 at 7:24 am

Your dad’s BALD? When did THIS happen?

waiting line January 29, 2008 at 2:38 pm

I hear ya. We’re in the same predicament, except our kiddo is 5 months. Despite the fact that it will likely eat at me every day (sh*t!), I think we’re going to bag the idea. I’m still freaked out about the fact that the helmet puts some pressure on the areas that are not supposed to fill out. Ridiculously paranoid, I know.

With regard to 9+ month olds getting a helmet, I say if you want it get it now. I’ve been researching this plagio-thing for a while now. Looks like the benefits of wearing one go down once they are 1 year old, but that doesn’t mean that even then improvement isn’t possible. So, if he’s 9 months old – move on it. Some kids try them as late as 1 and half years old and still see improvement. So again, at 9 months old, go for it. From what I’ve read he will likely need to wear it for a longer period of time (e.g., 6 months instead of 2 or 3 months), but I think you WILL see improvement. AND, worst case scenario, even if (I’m just saying) even if it doesn’t get better (which is unlikely), you will know that you did everything you could!

Hope my assvice helps!!