I’m still standin’

by statia on December 18, 2007

I walked into the Mini’s room this morning, to find him standing in his crib. I shouldn’t be surprised, given the fact that he’s been pulling himself up on everything else for awhile now. He’s pulled himself up in his crib when he’s seen me a couple of times before, but it never dawned on him that he could actually do it when I wasn’t there. I walked in, and there he was, in all his glory, proud as could be, holding on to one of the ends. And when he saw me, he totally played it cool, like “Oh hey lady. Hey, what’s going on? How are you? Yeah, oh it’s just me, Mini, just being myself, ah yeah. Oh, oh well this here? Oh, it’s just my package, yeah just ah just ah my package, God delivered it I signed for it the world keeps on spinnin’, yeah.”

He’s starting to stand unassisted a lot more and you know, I don’t like it. I’m not ready for it. Someone gave us a walk behind and he can actually, very slowly, actually walk behind it.” I try to hide it from him, but he just goes ahead and finds some furniture to cruise along.

We’re entering the “totally fucked” territory.

We’re also down to less than three months to his first birthday, and I think I’m just going to stay in bed until then, and weep softly.

electriclady December 18, 2007 at 7:46 pm

Not that I’m GLAD you’re fucked, exactly, but I’m relieved not to be alone here. BG started walking a couple weeks ago and today she attempted to RUN. My old ass cannot keep up. Have commenced weeping.

robyn December 19, 2007 at 12:13 am

Meet ya’ in the ER Fastpass lane. Good luck with that! :-)

Helen December 19, 2007 at 2:16 am

I’ve got your back.

I brought vodka.

And a straw.

erika December 19, 2007 at 3:47 am

I’m going to go against public opinion here and say that they’re even MORE fun when they start walking. Seriously. Sure, they bump and bruise more, but they become so much more interactive. No worries – once he is sure on his feet and you’ve semi-baby-proofed, you’re good to go.

Chris Cactus December 19, 2007 at 6:15 am

Another milestone! Mia learned to stand up in her crib before she learned how to get back down. That made for an interesting few weeks…

DD December 19, 2007 at 6:50 am

XBoy stood unassisted pretty early, too, but I attributed it to the snow-shoes for feet that he has. The walking took quite a bit longer to master since his head was freakishly huge.

With that in mind, you’ll be ok for a while yet.

Meredith December 19, 2007 at 6:54 am

Wait, it’s three months until their birthdays? Why did you have to go and make me all weepy?!

And hooray for Mini!

AManda December 19, 2007 at 9:42 am

Hahahaha. I am glad I’m not the only one freakin the hell out over this. Lily is cruising now and I feel like I might throw up when I think about how not babyproofed our house is.

Love the Family Guy reference BTW – one of my favorite Stewie scenes.

Faith December 19, 2007 at 11:52 am

I was gonna say, Mini doesn’t happen to sound like Stewey in your head, does he? But apparently he does. :)

Watch out for missiles.

bitca December 19, 2007 at 12:01 pm

*bubble wraps*

jesser December 19, 2007 at 1:52 pm

HOLY MOLY! Did your heart stop or what?!? I asked hubby lower the crib right after we found out that another kid at our baby sitter’s fell out of her crib (at home) and broke her arm.

Do they have pills that stunt growth or stop time? I think I’d be game for either.

erica December 19, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Mine’s just started walking in the past week or so and has mastered handling things to put in his month within the past few weeks,and I love it. He seems to have *realized* he can move towards things he wants. Like he’ll go get the binky and stick it in himself instead of just sitting on the floor whining in my direction.

Granted, we have to spend a wad to get a better 8 foot baby gate to mount since he has also learned he can move the one we have now (just a baby fence type thing doubled up across the foyer).