I hate Uncle Jamie,

by statia on December 11, 2007

The Meester and I have a series of movies that we love to watch over the course of the holiday season. Some we watch once, some we end up watching a few times. This year? We’ve watched approximately zero. Instead I walk around singing “It’s time to eat eat eat eat what at treat…”

Life with a kid, man. It’s like one long sound byte of multiple songs that fester in your brain, making up the worst ear worm you could ever imagine. And don’t even tell me that isn’t a conspiracy formed in a collaborative effort by toy companies and kids show producers. Fuck.

Pat and Buzz (you can stop reading now Buzz) were over on Saturday night and we got to talking about the holiday movies we watch. Our list was rather similar. Here’s ours:

Love Actually – We usually watch this a couple of times
Elf – Only watched once because unlike Helen, the Meester can only tolerate it once. I might be able to watch it twice. Maybe. It depends on my Christmas mood that year.
A Christmas Story – Is there anyone on the free planet that doesn’t watch this? We’ll watch it on DVD and still watch the marathon.
Christmas Vacation
Three Days – A horribly bad made for TV movie with Kristen Davis and some unknown guy that was probably the only movie he was ever in.

And newly added:
The Holiday, which my mother has had my copy of for the last three months.

Once the Mini is old enough, we’ll add the old favorite kids classics to the rotation. But for now, we barely have time to watch what we have on this list.

You?

Katrina December 11, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Elf
A Christmas Story…love the marathon!
It’s a Wonderful Life
The Santa Clause movies
Rudolph
Frosty the Snowman
Charlie Brown
A Christmas Carol
How the Grinch Stole Christmas, animated and live action
Sometimes the Home Alone movies

We don’t watch all of them every year, but we do watch a bunch each year. It’s part of our Christmas tradition to watch sappy holiday films. ;o)

Helen December 12, 2007 at 2:10 am

- Elf. As often as possible.
- A Christmas Story
- Christmas Vacation
- Muppet’s Christmas Carol
- Grinch -animated and the crap one otherwise
- Rudolph, Frosty, and Santa Coming to Town, the crappy claymation ones
- Scrooged – at least twice.
- Polar Express
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Disney Family Christmas

I can work the Christmas films.

Meredith December 12, 2007 at 4:47 am

We don’t have tv, but we do have one very worn VHS of A Christmas Story, which we must watch once each holiday season. I can pretty much recite the movie from memory at this point.

Suz December 12, 2007 at 5:28 am

I can’t stand Christmas Vacation. I mean, here’s this guy, lording it over all his much poorer relatives and getting all bent over the absence of a bonus so he can put in a pool??? GAH.

The squirrel, though, is funny.

We’ve added Polar Express to the lineup this year and watch the Christmas Story marathon, too.

bitca December 12, 2007 at 5:58 am

A Christmas Story
Elf
Die Hard (Hello?! It’s a classic and I watch it every Christmas.)
White Christmas
It’s a Wonderful Life
Scrooged (omg. LOVE.)
Love, Actually
Miracle on 24th Street

I cannot find my Christmas Vacation DVD and it is breaking my heart. :(

DD December 12, 2007 at 6:14 am

THE REF!

Best Holiday Movie, eva!! How can you go wrong when the lead actor also wrote and sang, “I’m an Asshole!”

jesser December 12, 2007 at 7:07 am

You pretty much nailed my list, although I am not a big fan of Elf.

Also like Home Alone, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the animated one) … and some cheesy crap on Disney Channel and ABC Family.

M@ December 12, 2007 at 7:20 am

I know it’s sappy, but we watch Serendipity every year. I mean come on Kate Beckinsale.

geeky December 12, 2007 at 7:21 am

Yes, I don’t watch A Christmas Story because I fucking HATE that movie. HATE it.

The Holiday was cute, but I don’t know that I’d re-watch it every year. Elf and Love Actually are on my approved Christmas movie list, but How The Grinch Stole Christmas (original cartoon) will always be my most favorite. I refuse to watch the Jim Carey version because it’s just wrong.

Deltus December 12, 2007 at 8:50 am

Only one absolutely must-watch movie for Christmas, and that’s Christmas Vacation. Hands down one of the fucking funniest movies ever, and certainly the funniest Christmas-based movie.

“We’re going to have the hap-hap-happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap danced with Danny fucking Kaye!”

It just doesn’t get any better than that.

Merrin December 12, 2007 at 9:00 am

Christmas Vacation, for sure. We can’t put the tree up without it. There was a crisis this year because we couldn’t find it (still in a box), so Kevin ran to Best Buy, and all was right with the world. Also? Bad Santa.

donna December 12, 2007 at 10:03 am

Same as you mostly. Already watched Love Actually while I made fudge on Sunday. Elf is up on the rotation very soon, A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation are up too. Oh, and It’s a Wonderful Life. Love love love that one.

ellessu December 12, 2007 at 7:47 pm

Love, Actually is a most recent fave. I was surprised at how much I liked The Family Stone — Luke Wilson was a bonus.

huy December 13, 2007 at 10:01 am

Pretty much watch all the ones on your list and yes, I’ve actually seen Three Days.

And I so agree with M@.

Lenni December 13, 2007 at 11:36 am

Everyone seems to be forgetting about “Ernest Saves Christmas” – the only classic you need.

Brandi December 13, 2007 at 6:08 pm

Love, Actually
White Christmas

And I agree that Bad Santa is one you have to watch at least once a year. That movie is SOOOOO wrong but I just love it.

Pamela December 15, 2007 at 2:50 pm

“Is your house on fire, Clark?”

I’m with Deltus on that one…
I do a mental drum roll before I plug in the Christmas tree lights…

Mavis Staples singin’ “Christmas Vacation”
don’t suck, either…

robyn December 19, 2007 at 12:03 am

With both of our histories, how can “The Ref” not be on this list? How? HOW? It’s mandatory watching around here – we bought the DVD so we don’t miss it.