Phased

by statia on November 19, 2007

Last week, I was out with a friend, whose son is about three weeks younger than the Mini. She was telling me how her son still wasn’t crawling, just rolling around, yet he was pulling up. I had lamented that I didn’t think the Mini was ready for that yet, and really didn’t think he’d be doing it anytime soon, which, it had to be the beer talking, because he’s been attempting it for awhile now. And of course, two days later, my series of 8 billion heart attacks a day have started. He’s not pulling up a lot, yet, which is totally fine by me. There isn’t enough valium in the world right now to deal with the fact that he can do it and “oh look, stairs.” He is however attempting to try and stand without any sort of support, though I know it’ll be awhile before he conquers that. I’m ok with that. I already have a permanent case of the jitters. Once he has further to fall, I’m just going to have someone start a vodka line.

With all of these new things he’s doing and learning, I’m not sure if it’s causing these night wakings we’ve been dealing with recently. He doesn’t have any teeth coming in, however, the last two nights, he’s been waking frequently, visibly upset, and no sooner to I get him back to sleep, does he immediately wake up and start crying again as soon as I put him back down. I don’t mind comforting him, because it’s obvious he needs it, but Jesus, this is worse than the newborn days. It’s not like him at all.

And I’d call the pediatrician, but they’d probably think I was crazy.

Amanda November 19, 2007 at 9:30 pm

Delurking to say that I think it’s definitely related to the night wakings.

Our FD, Lily, will be eight months soon and she slept 6-8 hours reliably from 4 to 6 months. However, since she started moving on her own (especially crawling and now, pulling up) she has been consistently waking up every 45 minutes or so after an initial 2-3 hour stretch.

I tell her it’s so unfair to sleep less now than when she was a newborn… she just ignores me :-)

MsPrufrock November 20, 2007 at 12:04 am

SLEEP REGRESSION. Read all you can about it on Moxie. It will change your life.

Suz November 20, 2007 at 5:57 am

I would agree with Amanda. The twins started this about the same time, too.

erica November 20, 2007 at 6:53 am

Regarding the pediatrician thinking you’re crazy? I think my Dr is afraid to see me coming. And I too am afraid to call him anymore because ohmigod I’m sick of talking to him and getting those “just a paranoid mommy” looks too.

Mine had a few days of pull-up-fall-down-crack-head-scream every 5 minutes or so. I seriously considered taping him down. SO MUCH FUN

Faith November 20, 2007 at 11:32 am

Wait, doesn’t the ped already think you’re crazy? Be the crazy lady. They have to have someone to make fun of at the end of the day when they talk to their families about work, after all…

michele November 20, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Every time they learn something new, they have to practice it over and over and over, no matter what time it is. The smarter he gets, the less you’ll all sleep. I use to get frustrated when D started to find his voice. He’d wake up and I’d go in there and he’d be like “hi mama”. I’d rock him and pretend to be sleeping, he’d still be saying “hi mama”. Hard not to smile, even when you’re tired, when they are that stinking cute. As for the doctor…I called them weekly after I had M. Better safe and inquisitive then sorry.

ewe_are_here November 21, 2007 at 6:14 am

He might actually be experiencing some teeth movement in there, just not ‘visibly’ … that can cause them some pain along the jawline when they’re laying on it trying to sleep. A small dose of pain medicine before bedtime often does the trick during these phases.

Deltus November 21, 2007 at 11:53 am

I remember this. This part is a shitty phase. It’ll pass, eventually.

electriclady November 21, 2007 at 1:41 pm

As soon as BG started crawling and pulling up, her sleep went to shit. I don’t want to scare you, but it’s been three months now and she’s still waking 3-4 times a night. She’s working on walking now and I’m hoping once she gets that she’ll sleep like a human being again.

Cindy November 21, 2007 at 3:00 pm

Please be the crazy lady and call your doc. My 6 month old is doing the same thing, and if I take him in one more time to have his ears checked, they might take him away from me!!!

erica November 21, 2007 at 3:16 pm

I think Cindy has a good point. Maybe you can help us other crazy mommies look a little more normal?

Motel Manager November 23, 2007 at 11:55 am

I have totally embraced being the crazy lady at my pediatrician’s office. Remember, all of us are well trained from our days as IF patients to be well informed and assertive, and there is no reason to stop now (or ever). They need to be kept on their toes!