Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

by statia on November 16, 2007

The Mini is pretty much an average normal child developmentally. He’s been pretty much smack dab in the middle as far as developmental milestones go.

So when he wasn’t really babbling, I started to worry. Most of the information, I had read had said that by about 7 months, he should be repeating some sort of vowel consonant combination. The only thing I got, were ooh’s and ahh’s. And I don’t think those H’s count as consonants, since, you know they’re silent.

So I called the pediatrician, and they acted as if I was neurotic and insane. Now, I’m starting to get pissed off at my pediatrician, because honestly, I can count on one hand, the number of times I’ve called the office to voice a concern. I think it’s approximately 3, which in 8 1/2 months is not exactly the type of parent where they’d be like “Oh, it’s her again.” But that’s another gripe for another time. They went over a list of milestones, and he was doing every single one, so they gave me the number for our local early intervention program, and said I could call if I wanted to.

And no sooner did I hang up the phone, did I hear ba ba ba ba ba ba.

*slaps hand to forehead*

The kid, he’s got our sense of humor, that’s for sure.

And of course since then, he’s been going over a bunch of different combinations. va va va va, ba ba ba ba, ma ma ma ma, la la la la ho ho ho (which you know, since he’s new here, I’ll let him slide, given my no Christmas before Thanksgiving rule) and my favorite, ha ha ha ha ha. Which is extremely funny because it reminds me of a laugh that a parrot would make.

And with all of this “parroting” going on, you’ll notice, I’ve greatly cut back on my fabulous swearing habit.

Tonya November 16, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Ha ha ha ha ha! What a great sense of humor on that kid! I’m sure it sure won’t be the first time he keeps you guessing. And, um, good luck with retraining that potty mouth. ;-)

Dooneybug November 16, 2007 at 9:55 pm

Oh girl, you’ve still got time! :) My 17 month old hasn’t caught on…yet. He does say “cock” but he really means “clock” so we let it slide.

donna November 17, 2007 at 7:21 am

Ha! He’ll show you, won’t he?

erica November 17, 2007 at 7:21 am

Just wait until you hear “da da da da dee da da da dee da da da” all day long. I don’t think mine is every going to say “mama”, because it’s all about DADDY.

camille November 17, 2007 at 8:11 pm

I love that the mini waited until you hung up to show you what he could do. I guess he thought ah crap. she’s about to do an intervention? I guess I better do some tricks to keep her happy.
LOL at Erica’s comment. I used to almost complain that G said “da da da da da” all the time and was never going to say “ma ma ma”. Now ALL I hear ALL the time is “mommy” or “mom”. Even when his daddy is home. There are days I want to change my name.

Amanda November 18, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Most peds won’t do much as far as speech development goes before 18-20 months. If by then they aren’t saying about 20 words and 2 word combinations, then think about a speech evaluation. Before that it’s generally not considered a speech delay.

Chris Cactus November 18, 2007 at 6:05 pm

I so hate the fact that I’ve had to cut back on all the incessant swearing. It fucking sucks.

geeky November 19, 2007 at 7:12 am

Well you can still cuss on your blog, because I’m pretty sure you’ve got a few years until he starts reading :)

jesser November 19, 2007 at 7:34 am

Hahhaa. I never had any doubts about him, but man, I’m sure you’re relived that he’s babbling. And don’t even get me started on asshat doctors. Oops. Swearing. Again.

Bonnie November 20, 2007 at 4:50 am

LOL @ Geeky!

Deltus November 21, 2007 at 11:51 am

It’s not babbling. It’s SCATTING! Your kids sings the standards!