2 down, 18 more to go

by statia on November 5, 2007

The Mini turns 8 months old today. I’m going to try to avoid the “OMG how is this possible” and instead focus on how much he’s making my heart hurt by growing up so damn fast. Like he’s doing it to me on purpose because he knows how much it’s keeping me up at night. 7 or 8 months ago, I’d look ahead mentally and try to picture what he would be like at this age. I still do this, but he always seems to amaze me by how much he learns on a regular basis.

We have mobility. We have for a long time, but it was the backwards, sideways and in circles kind. He had been working on the forwards for awhile and is able to do it, but he’s not really been in a rush. The Mini is far more mental than physical. He can move forwards, yet prefers to sit there and try to figure out how things work. He loves to “read” books and will sit there for long periods of time and just study each page. It’s how I keep him quiet during all of those Target runs. Stick a book in the cart and it’s like “don’t talk to me lady, I’m busy.” I’ve often watched him run his fingers over the letters. Like he wishes he could actually read them. He’s fascinated with his fingers. So much so that we bought a few signing DVD’s. He’s able to make a few signs. So far, I’ve seen him do ball, milk and “all done”, and I sometimes catch him do bird if he’s watching along with the DVD. Some of them are a little too complex for him yet, but he tries. I made a butterfly with my hands and he tried hard to imitate it, but the manual dexterity for that isn’t there yet. But he made a damn good attempt. Enough that I could recognize him trying to imitate me. It’s kind of amazing how quickly he’s picked it up. We really only started watching them a couple of weeks ago. He recognizes the signs for water, drink, as well as eat and juice. Not too bad for an 8 month old.

He occasionally pulls up, but it’s not that often that he’ll do it without my assistance, and I’m very ok with that, as his padded helmet and suit haven’t arrived in the mail yet. Nor has my barrel full of vodka.

He’s got his second tooth coming in, which has been hell for all of us, and I’m not used to having to get up in the middle of the night anymore. I’ll be happy when the other 18 come in, because at least when his secondary teeth come in, he can chew on a filet to ease the pain.

He’s not much of a talker. He “ooohs and aaahs” a lot along with an occasional “ga” in there for good measure, but it’s kind of worrying me. He seemed to babble more when he was younger. Strings of consonants, but that seems to have stopped. I know that babies often abandon one task to master another. I’m realizing that with each stage, there’s always something new to worry about.

jesser November 5, 2007 at 6:21 pm

So nice to have an update on Tabby’s age mate. Sounds like he’s doing awesome! Tabby must be working on the talking, cuz she’s not doing much moving … hehe. Ah well, I’m sure she’ll get there. It’s cool that he’s doing so well with the signing. I need to keep working with her … we’ve got “milk” down and that’s about it. I’ve seen her do a few more, but never use them to any purpose. Oh well, I can’t rush her. It’s going too fast … and they’re so fun to watch at any stage and so amazing! They’ve come so far!

donna November 5, 2007 at 6:51 pm

What a smart boy! Bridget only knows “more” and by god, she uses it all the time! Diaper change? Give me more! A full tray of food? Don’t care, give me more! I’ve been trying to get her to do “milk” and “water” and “all done” but she’s not that into those.

I’ll say it for you… how the hell is he 8 months old already???? I find this passing of time so quickly to be completely unacceptable.

robyn November 5, 2007 at 9:05 pm

And just think, only one year to go until he can, too, tell the family on the phone — “Happy Thanksgiving! I have a clean penis!” So much for you to look forward to… ;-)

SSFB November 6, 2007 at 5:42 am

I love reading about the mini :) It puts me in a great mood. …Now I’m here at work all smiley and shit because the mini sounds adorable :)

Kathy November 6, 2007 at 5:43 am

Heh… he learned the sign for “bird”. 8 months old and he’s already flipping you off.

geeky November 6, 2007 at 7:07 am

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one thinking the same thing Kathy did! Ha!

Also, I’m sure he loves reading just because of those great books I sent him. Who needs to talk when you can read awesome books?

Ms. Pants November 6, 2007 at 7:41 am

Wait till Auntie Pants teaches him the sign for “bong.”

SydneyDawn November 6, 2007 at 11:46 am

I always thought baby sign language was a great idea. What DVDs are you using? Is there one that you’d recommend over another?

Motel Manager November 6, 2007 at 12:27 pm

I am very impressed by all that signing! I wouldn’t worry about the babbling since he is clearly very into words. My son also seemed to make more consonant-vowel combos when he was super-little than he does now at 6 months. Now he’ll maybe do ah-goo or ga, and something that I *maybe* think is la, but really he’s all about the vowels and panting noises and laughs.

I’ll have to break out the baby signs books soon, but I can’t get my hopes up from your experience – 8 mos is young to be so adept at the signs already!

Camille November 6, 2007 at 12:41 pm

I LOVE baby sign language! Yay Mini for “talking” so soon!!!

Lenni November 7, 2007 at 6:37 am

Thats amazing that he can sign! Child development is nothing short of incredible.

Deltus November 7, 2007 at 8:45 am

Don’t worry about the talking until about a year. But don’t let it get past 15 months without talking.

I hope to one day see your kid. He sounds like he’s made of liquid awesome.

pithydithy November 8, 2007 at 2:08 am

Finn seemed to stop babbling for a while too and then he took back off. And Mini is definitely doing the mental while Finn gives me heart attacks with the physical. We read lots of books, but his primary goal in life is to eat them. Left alone with a book, he will slap it repeatedly on the floor. That’s about it. I’m impressed with the signing! We’ll have to try that.

And, can it really be that they are 8 months old?!

Tiffanni November 9, 2007 at 12:29 pm

I can’t friggin’ believe how fast time is going by. 8 months already. Geez!

becky November 11, 2007 at 9:25 pm

damn, time flies. i only hope i can take the time for pics and video so we have something to look back at.

aithne November 12, 2007 at 5:17 pm

I love it! My brother, sister and SIL are deaf and watching their children learn sign language is fascinating! I love those little hands doing the signs. Melts my heart! They could flip me the bird and I would be like…oh how cuuuute!

Real story..One year, when the twins were really young, my sister told the twins in sign language to tell their friends and teachers that their mom was 55 years old and they did and I got a lot of weird comments that year from their teachers when we met for the first time.

The power of signing!