Why I may or may not be manic

by statia on October 29, 2007

In a fit of feeling as if our house was “grody (to the max)”, I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed our entire kitchen floor.

Let me just tell you how much I hate textured ceramic tile. Its been in every single house I’ve lived in, and I hate it with a fiery rage. Seriously, what the HELL are people thinking when they put this stuff in their house. You might as well just throw liquid herpes on your floor and lick it up.

Merrin October 29, 2007 at 1:35 pm

I so very much understand. I spent Thursday scrubbing my baseboards and grout with a toothbrush.

donna October 29, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Wow, I’m hungry now!

Tracy October 29, 2007 at 5:44 pm

I have to admit, we have to scrub ours weekly. With 4 kids and 3 dogs? Swiffer just doesn’t cut it. Strangely enough, hardwood is only slightly better than tile (in my opinion). I hated my mom’s linoleum, but at least stuff didn’t get ground into it, and the dogs didn’t scratch it up.

robyn October 30, 2007 at 1:08 am

I dream of the day we can Pergo the place…especially after last week’s ER incident with the oldest…

SydneyDawn October 30, 2007 at 7:28 am

I completely agree. The tile in my kitchen is impossible to keep clean for that very reason. Ugh.

Deltus October 30, 2007 at 7:41 am

The “better” linoleum is your solution. People always want tile and real hardwood for their floors, but they’re not thinking long term when they do. Linoleum and engineered laminate flooring. That’s the ticket.

just another jenny October 30, 2007 at 4:03 pm

My husband tried to talk to me into textured tile. The day he starts cleaning the floor, he can pick our flooring.

daisy October 31, 2007 at 5:55 am

I have a floor steamer and it really cleans the tile, easily and with no chemicals. I love it. Easier than moping and dries very quickly because it is steam.

Bonnie October 31, 2007 at 2:57 pm

A comment longer than the post …

I’m w/ Deltus on the “better” linoleum part. I was back and forth about what to do with my floors. I don’t have kids, but I do have two dogs and a resident brother.

After having lived with them in the past, I hate hate hate textured ceramic tile floors. I also manage nearly 150 rentals and that’s what makes to tell you to stay away from engineered flooring at least until the boy is near 20yo. We’ve had to replace many of them. They look pretty until the first nick and replacement is more expensive to redoing a whole floor of the “best” linoleum.

Based on cost, I went with a mid-grade wood-look vinyl in my own house. Much to my surprise … I actually have had people get right down on the floor to convince them it’s not real wood. Plus, it’s so damn durable.

The dogs & LilBro haven’t killed it yet and it’s been here for two years. Cost me just over $300 to do my 18×20 kitchen installing it myself. I did drop a big can of dog food on the my floor just after installation and nick it really bad. The guy that installs the flooring for me at work gave me some magic liquid. I had to smooth out the nick and the put down the potion. I cannot even find that spot now if I tried.

Do a websearch on vinyl plank flooring.

Sorry if this post was long and doesn’t make much sense. I was doing it in between trick-or-treaters.