There was an old lady who lived in a shoe she had so many kids her uterus fell out..

by statia on October 17, 2007

I take a bevy of “Mommy and Me” type classes. Gymboree, swimming, tumble, anything to save my sanity and to wear the Mini out so that I have time to myself.

Most of the classes revolve around nursery rhymes, a few of which I know and if I never hear again, it will be too soon. I officially hate the song “If you’re happy and you know it.” And they put it on every single toy known to man. I know a few others, like his favorite “The Mighty Duke of York.” And of course, the “Itsy Bitsy Spider”, but you know, I come home and I have the memory of a flea. Everything goes out the window.

Seriously, what are the hip nursery rhymes these days?

DD October 17, 2007 at 3:15 pm

I don’t know any, either, but wouldn’t it be great if “Baby Got Back” was a nursery rhyme?

Merrin October 17, 2007 at 3:31 pm

Um…WTF is the “Mighty Duke of York”? I’m starting to feel unprepared.

Camille October 17, 2007 at 3:35 pm

I’ve never heard the Mighty Duke of York either. Dude…we have three songs we sing every night. 1) ABC’s 2) Itsy bitsy spider and 3) our very own Baby (our own home made song I made up when he was an infant and is still a hit today.

But, don’t forget Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Muffin Man, How much is that doggy in the window, Hickory Dickory Dock, Baa Baa Black Sheep, and some others that I now have forgotten.

Amanda October 17, 2007 at 5:48 pm
MsPrufrock October 18, 2007 at 12:27 am

Dearest, it’s “Grand Old Duke of York”, unless you Yanks have managed to fuck it up, which is entirely feasible.

All the cool kids (ie, mine) rock out to ditties like Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, Wheels on the Bus, and Old McDonald amongst others.

Kathy October 18, 2007 at 6:44 am

Is there a test later?

Stacey October 18, 2007 at 8:03 am

My daughter is 12 and this goes around in her circle. You can use it to any nursery rhyme, and since you said it all goes out the window, I figured I’d share.
example;
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down and broke his crown
So he threw it out the window!
The window
The window
He threw it out the window!
Jack fell down and broke his crown so he threw it out the window!

another example;
Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard to get her dog a bone
When she got there, the cupboard was bare so she threw it out the window!
The window
The window
She threw it out the window!
When she got there, the cupboard was bare so she threw it out the window!

it’s almost as bad as the Song that Never Ends.

Deltus October 18, 2007 at 9:05 am

I’m ‘enery the 8th I am…

I also get my kids singing “Morning Train”. Does that count?

Deltus October 18, 2007 at 9:06 am

BTW, caught that Andrew Dice Clay reference in the title. Nice.

“Hickory Dickory Dock…”

Faith October 18, 2007 at 10:53 am

I’m having a hard time actually finding the lyrics online, but my fave bedtime song our mom always sang to us when we were little was “Little Blue Man.” According to my searches, it was a Dr. Dimento thing…Betty Johnson sang it originally. My mom always did a much cuter voice for the little blue man part than the one they actually have on the CD. But I’d highly recommend it. It’s something that stays with the kid forever and ever.

jesser October 18, 2007 at 11:09 am

All i know are the classics. We need some new ones with cell phones and myspace in them. Perhaps this is a blog topic I should tackle.

buddha October 18, 2007 at 12:46 pm

I’d say anything by the NOTORIOUS B.I.G

BIGGY IN DA HOUSE!!!

ewe_are_here October 18, 2007 at 1:37 pm

hahahahaha

I so understand.

And it’s the ‘Grand Old Duke of York’, btw. heh heh

April October 18, 2007 at 3:59 pm

Not necessarily songs per se, but my guess is you’ll remember a lot of these when you see them.

April October 18, 2007 at 4:04 pm

oh. my. god.

From the link I just posted:

“I love little pussy,
Her coat is so warm,
And if I don’t hurt her,
She’ll do me no harm.
So I’ll not pull her tail,
Nor drive her away,
But pussy and I,
Very gently will play.”

dying laughing.

Suz October 18, 2007 at 4:26 pm

I have no idea about nursery rhymes, but both twins are seriously into the Wiggles with the result that I can’t get “rockaby bear” out of my head.

Chris Cactus October 19, 2007 at 5:41 am

There are no hip nursery rhymes. None. At all.

Lenni October 19, 2007 at 6:29 am

I just remember the Ravoli song from when I used to teach 3 year olds. They freaking loved it, but its really bizarre, and has the potential to be unwittingly naughty.

Ms. Pants October 19, 2007 at 6:43 am

There once was a girl from Nantucket….

Tonya October 21, 2007 at 9:50 pm

My favorite is actually a little morbid. We call it Three Little Monkeys, and at the end we sing “No more monkeys swinging in the tree. And what does Mr. Crocodile say?” [rubbing tummy] “Mmmmmmm!” We DON’T do the “missed me” version. ;-)

Here are some lyrics:

Jessica October 30, 2007 at 2:02 pm

What would a ‘hip’ nursery rhyme be like?

BTW, it’s quite fall here in Iowa if you want to visit–but be warned, we don’t have much in the way of “hip”.