I’d stop shaving my legs, but then I wouldn’t be able to receive that “gentle ribbing” from my friends. oh. wait.

by statia on October 11, 2007

One of the great things about the Mini is that he’s a great eater. There’s been maybe two things he hasn’t liked, one of them being melon and the other spinach. I’m not really surprised about the spinach. I’m sure he’ll go through a picky phase, but I’m hoping that our early start on stuff that’s not junk food, and our ways of eating better ourselves will pave the way for good eating. At least until he goes off to college, where he will binge on McDonald’s and pizza until I show up on his dorm step one day and announce that I am moving in and will be there to make sure that he doesn’t undo 18 years of good solid eating habits that I have instilled in him.

If he thought that the time I showed his first girlfriend his naked baby pictures was embarrassing, he has no idea.

So for the past couple of months, I’ve been making our own baby food. Which isn’t really that big of a deal, and apparently the new hot trendy thing to be doing, I guess. I think for me, it came down to the fact that strained beef a la Gerber, smelled a lot like wet cat food and if I couldn’t even stand the smell, let alone bring myself to take a bite, I sure as hell wasn’t making him eat it. Not to mention, do we really need “Apple Cobbler dessert” at this age? I know I can’t avoid all sugar and I’m not going to pretend that he hasn’t had a tiny taste of my ice cream once before, but do you really need to be sticking sugar in baby food? There’s plenty of time for him to spend his entire allowance at the candy store, but for now, he actually doesn’t care too much for foods that are too sweet (cantaloupe was an instant gag reflex and I pretty much have to mix mango with something bitter or sour), which I’m not exactly sure how he’s our kid, considering the fact that if calories and cholesterol weren’t an issue, we would probably eat chocolate cake for our three squares a day. So there you have it.

But that’s not all. As if I wasn’t taking this damn dirty hippie thing far enough, I started to tread into scary unchartered waters.

Cloth.Diapers.

Now don’t go thinking that I’m all “save the environment”, not that I’m all “fuck the environment” either, but it’s more from a standpoint of disposables being kind of irritating on his junk and if that means that I have to do even more laundry because his little twigs and berries feel better, I’m ok with that. So I purchased a few Fuzzi Bunz today, and we’ll see how it goes.

I don’t even want to know what’s next.

michele October 11, 2007 at 12:17 pm

you go girl. :)

DD October 11, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Birks and a broom skirt. I’m sending them STAT.

Suz October 11, 2007 at 1:42 pm

I really loved making baby food. It wasn’t hard to do and tasted oh-so-much-better than gerber. Can’t wait to hear of your adventures in cloth diaper land.

Jenn October 11, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Hippy.

I really think making my own baby food helped them be much better eaters overall. Plus it’s cheap and not that difficult. And I’m right there with you on the cat food.

Good luck with the cloth diapers. I tried them but they actually irritated William even more, no matter how often I changed them, which was exactly what I was trying to avoid so I gave up on that experiment

robyn October 11, 2007 at 1:47 pm

I don’t even know you anymore.

Seriously though. Good luck with that. I had two gangbuster fruit / veggie eaters until about 16-18 months. Now one survives on crackers. And the other chicken nuggets and fries, until the 3 week spans every once in awhile we find out it’s only pizza. Lather, rinse, repeat. Ahhhh, the confidence of a new parent. Mine’s been Dreft’ed out of me. ;-)

Merrin October 11, 2007 at 2:17 pm

Have you been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan?

erica October 11, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Hm. Coincidentally I just dropped a few hundred on cloth diapers hoping that would stop his constant diaper rash, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

But before I make baby food we’d probably have to eat something that doesn’t get cooked in the microwave or be considered “take out”.

Kathy October 11, 2007 at 6:00 pm

Pureed. Cakesters.

Camille October 11, 2007 at 6:01 pm

I love it! I love it! I love it! Being hippie-ish isn’t so bad. I’ve found its kinda fun.

And for the record, we did the same thing you’re doing and to this day its still working out pretty good. Except he’s getting more sugar right now than he really should. BUT, he still eats lots of fruit and eats his veggies too.

Z. Hendirez October 12, 2007 at 6:05 am

We tried the cloth, too. Lasted about a month before it became too annoying. Hopefully you’ll have better luck!

jesser October 12, 2007 at 6:20 am

We get so many “earth mama” comments when people find out that we make our own baby food, but man, I agree with you … that canned stuff is nasty looking, smelling AND tasting (I did try a bite). We tried to get Tabs to eat some on our roadtrips and she refuses … and gags and such (very dramatic).

We haven’t made the move to cloth yet, though I do have some amount of guilt for filling up the land-fills and such, but honestly, I am just too lazy/busy and I think her sitter would balk.

April October 12, 2007 at 7:49 am

Do I smell patchouli?

Deltus October 12, 2007 at 10:34 am

I found that the fruit and veggie canned baby food was alright, but the “meat” stuff, not so much.

Angela October 12, 2007 at 12:30 pm

I knew a bartender that made a drink called Twigs and Berries….

There is a tie dye shirt coming your way:-p

sophie October 12, 2007 at 12:47 pm

I’m an observer of the mom thing, but my sister always made baby food and both her kids (now 7 & 3) have good eating habits. There is no restaurant at which they cannot order off the menu. Since my stepkids only eat nuggets, fish sticks, hot dogs and burgers, I appreciate that hers eat.

Came your way from Helen’s place.

MsPrufrock October 12, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Jesus. Thank god you’re not a breastfeeder, or else you’d next be rabbiting on about breastfeeding young Mini until college. He’d go right from breastmilk to pizza and McDonalds. Yum.

Anita October 12, 2007 at 6:56 pm

Don’t come to my house … our dogs hate hippies.

Dania October 16, 2007 at 4:59 pm

I decided as soon as I got pregnant i’d be making my own baby food, it’s a no brainer. Plus baby food makes me gag anyways.

However, I draw the line at cloth diapers ;)

Jenny October 16, 2007 at 10:34 pm

I’ve heard some nifty things about cloth diapers, but now that I’m in the potty training stage of my son’s life, there really isn’t need for them. BUT!! I plan to try them out with our second child.

Amanda October 25, 2007 at 5:36 pm

Cloth is great! If you still have rash issues after starting cloth, you may have a buildup of detergent… we’ve used cloth for the last 3. There are some great WHAM’s who make fabulous diapers too. Red Earth Originals makes great covers http://www.redearthoriginals.com/store/Default.asp
Apple Pie Baby is a great store as well.