Tuesday Mash Up

by statia on September 18, 2007

Last week we started up our new fall routine. I say routine very loosely. I signed the Mini up for a bunch of classes, most of them swimming classes, and one gymboree class. We joined the local Y (and you have to say it with a suhthun’ twang Whaaaaah), which is actually one of the nicest YMCA’s I’ve ever been in, and crazy expensive to join, but it’s something to help save my sanity and prevent me from both shopping too much and sitting at home watching endless hours of HGTV and Food Network. So far the Mini seems to enjoy the classes right up until the end, and then he throws a tantrum.

Maybe I should put him in day care.

We also finally got an appointment for his plagio, which has gotten marginally better, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to be “that” mom and not fight for helmet correction. I still believe it’s bad enough to warrant needing correction. People look at me as if I’m crazy for saying it, because to the naked eye, you can’t tell, but when I point it out to them, they’re like “oooooooooooooooh”. I find that the majority of the people are assholes about it, like I’m some Munchausen parent, which I don’t even have to justify with a response, as it would surely be something profane. Anyone who actually wants to have their child to need a helmet probably needs more therapy than I do. Anyway, it took us forever to get an appointment, because it’s with CHOP, and they only make appointments for one week out, on Tuesdays, starting at 8 am. So, like Ticket Master, I got my dialing fingers ready at 7:59am this morning. And naturally, I kept getting a message that the office was closed until 8:10am.

Napping in our house continues to be a big issue. And I’m glad that I’m not the only one who feels my pain. Don’t confuse that with me being happy for someone who has a child that has a napping problem. I’m not glad that someone else has to be in the same boat, as it’s a very frustrating and cranky boat, it’s just nice to be able to have someone understand. But I seriously wouldn’t wish this on anyone. My child is currently in his crib crying, while I try very hard not to crack myself in the skull with an iron rod. People keep telling me: “oh he’ll nap when he starts eating solids” or “he’ll nap when he gets older.” You know what? Those people are not fucking helping. Because apparently solids are steak and older is like 13. And I don’t need advice. I’ve tried it all. So I will reiterate that I do not need advice. I’m just guessing that he’s either never going to nap, or at some point, I will give myself a lobotomy. Because yes, it is that bad.

There are days, when I think we may be turning a corner, and he’ll take a nice long nap. But it isn’t without a huge fight, lots of screaming and lots of hysterical crying. It takes sometimes an hour and a half to get 45 minutes of nap, and at that point, it’s not worth it. Most of the time, he’s overtired (see: lots of screaming and crying) and just fights me to the point of wearing me down. I hear women with these 3 and 4 month old kids who take two long naps a day, and I have complete nap envy.

Mostly, I just hate being pissed off at something I’ve tried to accomplish from every angle.

Merrin September 18, 2007 at 11:07 am

Maybe you should try….Nah, just kidding. Besides, my advice would probably put the kid in the hospital. Babies+brandy=not good.

jesser September 18, 2007 at 11:46 am

Ugh. We tried to get Tabby in for swim classes at our local rec center and the Sat classes were full up by the time I logged on to sign up. The weekday classes that we *can’t* attend. Still open. Bugger.

I am sorry he’s not napping. We had that issue for a long time and I can’t say it’s fully fixed, but most days she naps. At least for me. Her other caregivers? They’re sorta screwed. Which I feel marginally bad about. But all I can do is pass on my scant wisdom and hope for the best.

Do not at all feel bad for doing anything for your kid health wise. Tabby has been to after-hours care 4x in 6 mos. Most were even ligit. My point? You know what your kid needs and you fight to protect him.

Tuesday September 18, 2007 at 11:56 am

My son had palgio & Torticollis. I have written about it here: http://www.parentingourchildren.com/helmets-are-not-just-for-bikes/

I have been through the fights with the pediatricians/insurance companies and through the Physical therapy and helmets. If you have any question, email me I would lvoe to help any way I can.

thalia September 18, 2007 at 1:23 pm

What’s odd to me is that I have never heard of the whole helmet thing in the UK. Any idea why?

I hope you get what you need from CHOP. I figure they know what they are doing there…

Meredith September 18, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Hey girl. I’m perversely happy to company in the sleep-issues department too. If one more woman tells me about her excellent napper because of her amazing parenting skills, I’m going to scream as loud as Finn at “nap” time.

I wanted to give you a heads up that the link to my journal won’t work for a bit. I did something really, really stupid and accidentally outed it to, of all people, a student. I am hating myself right now, let me tell you. Anyway, it’s down for a bit while I figure out what to do.

Elizabeth September 18, 2007 at 4:03 pm

Oh man, good luck with the plagio. I know dealing with that stuff is no fun.

And as for the naps? HA! Are there really babies out there who nap? Cuz mine certainly doesn’t. She’ll sleep for MAAAAAAAAAYBE 20 minutes, if I’m lucky, twice a day. Another one here who feels your pain.

Camille September 18, 2007 at 6:08 pm

I’m glad you got him an appt. and that you are “that” mom. My niece’s skull was already fused in one place when she was born, so she didn’t get the helmet option. And it is by far the better option.

Deltus September 18, 2007 at 7:00 pm

If I was to give you advice, it’d be to not give yourself a lobotomy. Doing it’s fine, but closing up again is a bitch. ;)

robyn September 19, 2007 at 7:10 am

You know to balance the universe out, your son will be potty-trained at 2 while mine is inching closer and closer to 4 and the largest size of Pull-Ups barely fit… Clearly we aren’t drinking enough.

Minawolf September 19, 2007 at 8:26 am

My son has a hard time napping at home too. He never naps for more then 20 minutes at a time. Of course at daycare, he naps 2 or 3 times a day for an hour plus. I’m obviously doing something wrong…

erica September 19, 2007 at 12:05 pm

I’ve got nothing except I’m glad someone else is willing to say their child makes them want to lobotomize themselves sometimes.

motomama September 20, 2007 at 8:54 pm

maybe now you can do swim classes, and naps will be a clorinated doze in the car on the way home. have you tried skipping it? sounds back-asswards, but maybe this battle can be skipped for another you might win. sorry…advised unintentionally there.

T September 21, 2007 at 5:42 am

Oh the flashbacks to the nightmare napper. Unfun.

ewe_are_here September 21, 2007 at 7:10 am

Ouch. I’m so sorry to hear the Mini is still fighting with you re sleep. I really hope things improve in that department in the near future. And for Ms PithyDithy as well. Mine might fight going down from time to time, but I can generally overcome any such orneryness by taking him for a walk, and, well, hell, I do need the exercise.