I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable.

by statia on August 22, 2007

In regards to my birthday cake request:

Meester: So the Dutch Oven bakery (yes, it’s really called that) said that it’s not possible to have a chocolate ganache filling, and I told them, well I have ten websites here that says it is. So fuck them, I’m making a red velvet cake with a ganache filling.

Something you don’t hear out of your husband’s mouth every day.

M@ August 22, 2007 at 2:34 pm

I bet Duff could make it.

Gina August 22, 2007 at 3:55 pm

I attended culinary school, have worked in bakeries, and dabble in cake design. You absolutely can have a chocolate ganache filling. In fact that is what most truffle fillings really are. The trick is to cool the ganache and then whip it. Or you could go the chocolate mousse route.

motomama August 22, 2007 at 6:04 pm

I had a red velvet cake for my wedding recently. I thought it was red food coloring, although I read in the south they use beet juice. A baker told us that it is the cocoa and the baking soda reacting to create the red. My husband said that he didn’t want a cake that had a “reaction”.

jesser August 22, 2007 at 7:52 pm

idiots. i have had several cakes with chocolate ganache filling. YUM. your meester rocks … i’m still waiting on my b’day celebration, but not for lack of luv … just time. as for red velvet cake … it always reminds me of the “bleedin’ armadillo grooms’ cake” in steel magnolias.

robyn August 22, 2007 at 9:19 pm

Remind me to send you pics of my sister’s wedding cake…

geeky August 23, 2007 at 6:11 am

mmm chocolate ganache. the meester bakes? i’m jealous. mr. geeky wouldn’t know how to bake a cake if his life depended on it.

Chris August 23, 2007 at 9:22 am

What a culinary rebel.

SarahD August 23, 2007 at 10:54 am

Mmm. I support any experiments involving ganache. Or red velvet.

Motomama, you might want to tell your husband that all baking involves reactions–that’s what baking soda does. Then he’ll be scared of all cake and leave more for you. Yay!

Faith August 23, 2007 at 1:31 pm

The Dutch Oven SUCKS! In more ways than one, of course…

I’ve never had red velvet cake. I’m jealous as well. You lucky, ducky bitch. :)

Kathy August 23, 2007 at 1:59 pm

I can’t wait to get my mouth ona piece of THAT.

Wait…

camille August 23, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Happy belated birthday! You and Josh have the same birthday and I made him a red velvet cake too. Although, I didn’t fill his with ganache. But I did make a great icing for it.

karmajenn August 23, 2007 at 6:01 pm

Dutch Oven Bakery? Chocolate filling? You’re keeeelllling me.

Happy birthday, girl.

Deltus August 23, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Yeah, that bakery just didn’t want to do it because it wasn’t on their standard repretoire list. Those assclowns.

Julie August 24, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Just another reason why I hate Dutch Oven. I think they are terrible. I don’t think their stuff is all that special. I laugh everytime I pass that place. Go to Grandms Brenna’s in Skippack. Got my hubby a birthday cake from there and it was amazing.

(Hey – you are right down the street from Corropolese. Best tomato pie. EVER!!!)

Susan August 25, 2007 at 5:35 am

Happy birthday!! I hope your day was wonderful and your cake out of this world! I also do not like when people tell me that I can’t do something. I bet the cake turned out just fine. I just want to say I really enjoy your blog!!

Linda September 3, 2007 at 1:05 am

The meester just rocks. I hope you got your cake!

Happy birthday!!