Teefs

by statia on July 18, 2007

The inevitable is happening. The Mini is teething. Not to be confused with the actual cutting of teeth, which you’d think, teething = teeth. No. The actual tooth growing process is not happening right now which means, I probably have another two months before the first one actually comes in and by then? I’ll be in AA because jesus.

Actually, he’s not THAT bad. He’s still pretty pleasant. The drool is uncontrollable, and I have to change him 80 times a day, but for the most part, he’s still sunshine and farts. Emphasis on the farts.

There is however, the tantrums. They say that you can’t spoil a child too much by holding them before the age of 6 months.

Yeah, I call bullshit on that. His mouth is bothering him, that’s a fact. Because of this, he’s throwing tantrums when I try to put him down for a “nap.” I use the word “nap” loosely. Because the Mini is a shitty napper. Everyone tells me “once he starts solids, he’ll be a better napper.” Which, I’m guessing they mean actual lobster and pizza, because liquid squash isn’t exactly making him sleepy. The upside to this is that I did something right in regards to bedtime. Doing the same routine every night proved to be fruitful. Because he’s a fantastic sleeper at night. We generally get 10-12 hours a night. He’ll wake up maybe around hour nine and go back to bed after eating for another two or three hours. And he’s been like this for a good two months. Our daytime routine, while I try to keep it similar every day, it varies, just because of the fact that we’re still trying to do things around the house. We’ve had painters painting the house for about three weeks now, so “napping” takes place on our bed, which means that when he does nap, I can’t really go anywhere.

And this “nap” which is all of a 35-40 minute gem, takes at least an hour to make happen, what with all of the back arching and screaming and kicking. “I’M NOT TIRED MAMA!!!”

And then he works it. Oh, he KNOWS how to work it. It comes in the form of a little tiny baby sized dramatic fake cough. At which point he looks at me and gives me a big gummy grin.

And then I die a little inside from the overabundance of cute.

Tracy July 18, 2007 at 6:30 am

Delurking to say I just went through this and, surprisingly, didn’t have to resort to drink. My daughter teethed and cut her bottom two fronts simultaneously. Yeah. The people at Tylenol should be throwing me a parade. It’s all worth when they flash that toothy smile!

Tom Bux July 18, 2007 at 8:04 am

I’m taking notes for when my mini comes in October!

jesser July 18, 2007 at 8:37 am

Wowser!! We’ve been wondering if Miss T isn’t teething (drooling loads, pulling everything into her mouth to suck/munch on) but we haven’t found any teeth buds yet. She gave up nursing a few weeks ago (still pumping tho..) or I’d be getting scared for my boobs. She latches on to a finger like it’s a T-bone.

Ain’t it true on the sleep thing? I think people think we’re lying when we tell them that she sleeps thru the night and has pretty much since she was about 2.5 months old. I hadn’t heard that about solids and naps. We still haven’t gotten around to trying them out, but I’m interested to see if it’s true. She naps … OK. Fitful 1 hour increments 2x/day. Ah well, ya can’t have it all, I suppose.

Deltus July 18, 2007 at 9:19 am

I love it when they try to gum you to death. Like, a finger or your shoulder or neck. It’s funny.

thalia July 18, 2007 at 12:03 pm

sounds like you’ve got him really well trained, I will have to take notes!

Pamela July 18, 2007 at 5:20 pm

Rubbah. pretsul.
woiks. wundiz

Yoli July 18, 2007 at 6:04 pm

I just discovered your blog. I love it, you are too funny.

robyn July 19, 2007 at 7:54 am

As long as he doesn’t have lactose issues, get these. Hyland’s and TiVo should be standard issue at the hospital when they send you home…

If he’s sleeping 10-12 hours at night I highly suggest never having a second. Lightning does NOT strike twice! ;-)

erica July 19, 2007 at 8:12 am

I’m so with you. Not sure how to survive teething.

just another jenny July 20, 2007 at 8:00 pm

I didn’t know that teething could start without cutting teeth. Reading this makes me think that my girl is teething too, she is the master of drool.

Robber Barren July 24, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Hate to say it, but the wondersleep may not last. Our daughter gave us about six weeks of solid 11-hour nights (bedtime routine and everything), and it all went to pot about a week ago, right before the kiddies turned six months old. Seriously, enjoy this while it lasts.