Leaves of three…

by statia on July 8, 2007

You know when I was a kid, I could probably have spotted poison plants a mile away. Considering they drill it into your head in school, “leaves of three, leave it be.” As a result, I never ended up with any sort of poison. Then again, I was always an extra cautious child.

Except for that time I went running across a long picnic table to jump out to a tree branch and ended up with a broken arm. Or when I jumped off a dresser and ended up with four stitches in the back of my head.

Ok, so maybe I wasn’t so cautious afterall.

Anyway, one of the joys of “homo-nership” is tending to the landscaping, which we figured we’d do ourselves, because we have a garden now. And it’s all ours! And look at us city type folk gardening! And planting things! And do I hear the theme to Green Acres (which I know all the words to by the way, because I rule) in the background? There’s a slight problem. We bump up to the back of a farm, with lots of wild plants. And some of those wild plants are things like poison ivy and its made its way into our landscaping. And we had no idea.

And now the Meester is a festering oozing blister. Which is disgusting. Especially when I have to hear “I think one of the blisters popped and ew, it’s running down my ankle.” Needless to say, I think our dreams of being gardeners is coming to a halt. I called in a landscaper who told me that I was neck deep in the stuff, when I thought I was pulling weeds. I’m apparently one of those lucky people that doesn’t get it or when I do, the damage is minimal. Which thank god, because we’re both scared shitless that the Mini is going to get it.

I’m kind of bummed. I was looking forward to trying not to kill anything.

Jennifer July 8, 2007 at 7:31 pm

Greeeen acres is the place to be,
Farrrrrm livin’ is the life for me,
Laaand spreadin’ out so far & wide,
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

Those lyrics?! I KNOW THEM ALL TOO!

(Neeeew York is where I’d rather stay,
Iiiii get allergic smelling hay,
I just adore a penthouse view,
Darlin’ I love you, but give me Park Avenue.)

Camille July 8, 2007 at 7:53 pm

Wanna borrow my goat? Goats eat that stuff and it doesn’t harm them.

nay July 8, 2007 at 8:03 pm

M@ and I both used to get it like mad, just from looking at it I think. Your Meester should go to the doc and ask for “the shot” and a prednizone pack (steroids). I don’t know what is in the shot, but the poison ivy starts drying up in a few days instead of a week to weeks.

Tim K. July 8, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Your family and mine seem to be running parallel lives since you moved back east! One of my twin daughters and I got into poison ivy in my wife’s flower garden about three weeks ago. I didn’t even know what it looked like before that! Gracie is healing up nicely, but I’ve still got some discoloration on a leg and arm. Isn’t home ownership great?!

ewe_are_here July 9, 2007 at 4:37 am

over here they have something called ‘stinging nettles’ … and I always manage to stumble across the darn things.

Kevin Donahue July 9, 2007 at 5:20 am

Burt’s Bees makes some really good poison ivy soap. They have it in there online store, and probably somewhere near you guys. It will clear up poison ivy fast.

Tricia July 9, 2007 at 5:43 am

Whip out the plant killer and you can totally have your garden back. I’ll help when I come visit :)

Piquant Molly July 9, 2007 at 6:42 am

Awww, I wanted a picture!

(I’m always looking for ways to gross myself out.)

Deltus July 9, 2007 at 8:48 am

Have you considered burning the fields of the farm that abuts (heh) your house?

Tanya July 9, 2007 at 9:18 am

I’ve never had it, but my cousin (who’s an awesome gardener) swears by this stuff called Tecnu. I think that’s how it’s spelled.

Faith July 9, 2007 at 10:37 am

I tried to work my garden for the first 2 years in my house. I only made it worse…

Last year, I hired a new lawn company that recommended a mow/landscaping guy that is our new best friend. Couple that with the time off that the fiance has had over the last two months, and my yard now looks better than it did when I moved in!

Hire people to do it for ya. It is sooooo worth it!

waiting line July 9, 2007 at 1:13 pm

…hmpf, well so much for that! hopefully, they can just pull out/poison, do whatever they need to do get bad of the bad stuff and still leave you some dirt to put in some good stuff. :-)

waiting line July 9, 2007 at 1:14 pm

…hmpf, well so much for that! hopefully, they can just pull out/poison, do whatever they need to do get rid of the bad stuff and still leave you some dirt to put in some good stuff. :-)

Z. Hendirez July 9, 2007 at 5:25 pm

I ran into poison ivy when I was working landscaping at a office park. One thing they don’t mention often is that liquid, if it gets anywhere else, will spread the ivy there. In the end I had half my body covered in it.

I did get my revenge, though. The boss let me take the just-one-step-less-than-DDT/dioxin/Chernobyl weed killer and go to town on every non-tree, non-grass green thing in the park.

That was fun.

Linda July 9, 2007 at 10:11 pm

I’m all about visuals and gross out stuff.

I’m waiting for one of you to post photos of the oozing blisters.

ssfb July 10, 2007 at 5:26 am

I was wondering where the photo was myself. I actually expected to see one when I clicked on “festering oozing blister”

becky July 10, 2007 at 8:13 am

don’t burn it! if meester is allergic he could get it in his lungs. and that’s a bitch.

there should be a way to kill it off, so you guys can go ahead with the farmin’. a local gardening place should be able to tell you how to get rid of it safely.

karmajenn July 12, 2007 at 11:53 am

Oh yeah, we’ve got it all over the yard too. It’s currently climbing a tree right off of our back deck and I swear, we cut the bastardly thing down and it’s right back up there the next morning.

Michael gets it all the time – I have yet to. Probably less a tolerance than the fact that I run screaming away from anything with three leaves.

I read that this year is a bitch for poison ivy, blame put on global warming.