HGTV addiction, doesn’t make you an expert

by statia on July 30, 2007

Yeah, so, we really need to stop deciding to start a new project on Sunday nights. Especially when I haven’t even finished the previous project of painting our living room and dining room. Our powder bathroom was in sorry shape. The former owners were NOT handy. And, to reiterate what I’ve said a million times in the last two months, they LOVED their wallpaper. They also painted the vanity, which you know, wouldn’t be so bad, but they used crappy paint and they didn’t do a thorough job. And the vanity top was acrylic, which again, not that big of a deal, but it didn’t match and it was warped. I figured we’d rip it out and put in a pedestal sink or if that wouldn’t work, we’d put in a new vanity and be done with it.

Yeah, we now have a nearly gutted bathroom, and uncovered lots of little gems. Like the wainscoting? That was put up over MORE wallpaper. And the wainscoting, they originally painted it red. RED. We went from “well let’s see how hard it would be to remove the vanity” , to having a completely gutted bathroom. Maybe I shouldn’t have gotten the Meester that sawzall for Christmas.

Tanya July 30, 2007 at 2:29 pm

Yeah, nothing’s ever right behind the vanity. Did you at least have matching flooring under it? So you don’t have to redo the whole floor too?

I have to admit, though. Red wainscoting? You win.

Bonnie July 30, 2007 at 3:25 pm

Hahaha … sometimes buying a pre-owned house can really suck it. I gutted an 8×16 bedroom to make my kitchen larger. That resulted in removing 5 layers of different types of wall and THREE tons of debris. (Plus a torn up yard hauling out that debris. Oh … can’t fail to mention the tetanus shot which hurt like a mutha.)

And my friends still dare to ask me, “When are you doing the living room?”

Deltus July 30, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Wallpaper should be banned. BANNED!

Karl July 30, 2007 at 5:20 pm

The previous owner of our house built a vanity from the sink to the back wall, right over the toilet tank. Looked fine, no problem, until the day we had to replace the works in the toilet… My wife held the flashlight and the mirror while I learned what it feels like to be a dentist and work in reverse.

When we finally gutted that sucker, we did it all the way; you could stand in the basement and look right up to the roof through the open space. New bathroom sure looks great though! (and no, I didn’t do it myself.)

jesser July 31, 2007 at 10:53 am

Oh sheesh. What a mess. It’s amazing the idiotic things people think are good ideas … sometimes you shouldn’t DIY.

waiting line July 31, 2007 at 1:46 pm

holy hell!

Helen July 31, 2007 at 2:21 pm

I see stenciling in your future.

karmajenn August 1, 2007 at 5:02 am

Good lord. And I thought having wallpaper on our living room ceiling was bad.

Seriously, who the hell wallpapers a CEILING?

Faith August 1, 2007 at 11:00 am

Ok, I’m sorry…karmajen wins. A wallpapered ceiling? What? WHY? I think that might keep me from buying a house, actually.

michele August 1, 2007 at 9:31 pm

hmmm. looks and sounds a tad bit like our house when we moved in…FIVE and a half freakin years…my hall bathroom, yeah, still has sheets of many years of different wallpaper that I have been trying to peel off, just so I can repaint. Not quite sure I will ever understand some people…

robyn August 2, 2007 at 5:32 am

Oh thank god we ended up buying new this time – with my severe allergic reaction to wallpaper, I’d be climbing out of my skin right about now. Ummm, good luck with that!

Chris August 2, 2007 at 12:18 pm

I think (I hope) that the owners of the house we’re moving into are very handy. At least it certainly seems that way.

Speaking of addiction, we can’t seem to watch the 2,488 house flipping shows on TV.

tricia August 3, 2007 at 4:37 am

your house is going to end up looking like my parents’ house if you don’t stop it!