Once you get rid of all the boxes on the first floor, there’s nowhere to sit.

by statia on June 11, 2007

I’m feeling a lot less overwhelmed. Yes, there’s still shitloads to be done, like painting and all the other bullshit that we’re hiring people to do, but little by little, that’s coming together. The unpacking is actually coming along, which thank god, because my sanity was starting to suffer.

If I actually had any sanity to begin with. But it’s nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel and start to get a settled feeling. Because I know the laundry list of home projects will never go away.

The neighborhood isn’t bad. I like it. We bump up to the back of a farm and oh my god, we have COWS. They’re actually up the way a little, so I don’t smell turd unless it’s in a diaper, however, I am getting eaten alive by bugs of all sorts. We have this kickass deck and porch, which sucks because I don’t want to be out there for more than five minutes. According to our one neighbor, the neighborhood is kind of cliquish, which I think is normal for every neighborhood. Just wait until they realize how anti-social we are. I won’t have to worry about getting invited to bake sales for very long.

The previous owners of this house did some half assed shit, which more than anything is annoying. The guy fancied himself handy, which he really wasn’t. So I’m guessing he started shit, and then when it didn’t get done, the uptight controlling wife made him finish it, by any means possible. Their love of wallpaper sends me into a violent rage. Especially because I CANNOT live with wallpaper and with a 3 month old, it’s not like I have spare time. All in all, most of the stuff is cosmetic and a fresh coat of paint and some new carpet will take care of it. But there’s a few things that are going to have to be fixed, and I’m not really sure I’m up to the challenge. Especially when it comes to our ceiling fan in the family room. But the only reason I’m not up to it, is because it vexes this crazy cat so much, and well, I never see him get worked up. It’s my little gift to him. Speaking of, I have a feeling living so close to them is going to cost me lots of brain cells and possibly a liver.

The Mini Me-ester is faaaaaaaaaaabulous. He turned three months old last week(!!) and is just a giant little fucking ray of sunshine. No seriously. I mean, yes, the meltdowns still occur at night, but I think they’re waning a bit. He’s a good kid. He sleeps like a champ at night and has been for awhile now. During the day, well, it kind of sucks. I can’t get more than an hour nap out of him at any given time, but eh, I’m guessing that will change. He’s a big time talker. He and I have some great conversations during the day. We’re really lucky to have such a good kid.

Up next, discussions of smaller town life and the “local color.” Not coloreds, dorks.

Empress June 12, 2007 at 1:12 am

Dude, we kept it toned down for you. We tried to act like responsible adults and all. You want to lose some brain cells and a liver? We can turn it on! It’s how we roll.

And seriously – that fan? If it’s not figured out by the next time we’re over, I swear Buzz will climb a ladder and take that thing apart until he fixes it. It doth vex him so!

buzz June 12, 2007 at 2:49 am

Besides, livers are overrated. And that fan? I WILL fix that fan someday. Oh yes, its ass is mine!

Camille June 12, 2007 at 4:38 am

Oh yay! You have a “Kevin and Merrin”. You need some party lights on your deck for when they come over and help you lose brain cells and a liver.

You know the cliche that everyone in Texas has a horse, or a cow, or lives on a farm? Well I think the opposite for the states up in your area. I think that there is no way anyone up there has a farm. So its funny to know there are cows in your backyard.

ewe_are_here June 12, 2007 at 5:16 am

Yick. Other people’s wallpaper generally scares me…

Your post is making me realize that perhaps it’s a good thing that are offers on a house got turned down… because the place needed massive amounts of work. Yet I still want it….

I must be insane.

Shanna June 12, 2007 at 6:27 am

Get that Cutter spray for bugs, you attach it to the hose and spray around and probably under your deck and it keeps the bugs down for weeks. It really works. We used it on almost 10 acres, on a lake at my parent’s house when we had our wedding in the backyard and not one bug for the rehearsal or the day of the wedding. Takes very little time, so you could whip that out when the wee one is napping. ;) Good luck.

geeky June 12, 2007 at 7:27 am

Glad you haven’t lost it yet. And you have cows in your backyard! How cute. The mini-meester will be cow-tipping before he’s walking!

jesser June 12, 2007 at 9:53 am

Isn’t it amazing?! I had no idea three-month-olds could chatter on so much. The kid I’ve been around most recently hardly says a word … still … and he’s like a year old. It’s still going on upstairs and all, but he just doesn’t voice anything. And yea, what the heck is up with that nap crap? She hardly ever naps either. I can’t complain much though, cuz she’s a really happy baby overall.

Deltus June 12, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Oh, small town cliques. Gotta love em. If by love, you mean “detest with every fibre of beingness within you”.

robyn June 12, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Awwww man, I want to see him so bad — 3 months already?!? @#$%! Florida housing market…

Faith June 13, 2007 at 11:15 am

My favorite thing to say to a chatty 3 month old is the letter “O” over and over. I love it when they repeat it back, and we can laugh together!

Thus endeth any type of proof of me LIKING babies in any way, shape, or form.

Glad you’re settling in, sista. I heard the weather has been rough in those there parts this week, so I hope everything is still holding together ok!

Linda June 15, 2007 at 12:19 am

COWS? Where the hell did you move to?? Did I miss something major in the two months I disappeared? (Yeah besides the fact that you bought a place! :P )

If you’re still local, I’ve got a kickass painter that will get rid of that wallpaper for you, does drywall repairs, retexturing, and does a great job on paint.

just another jenny June 15, 2007 at 7:47 pm

Looking forward to the small town discussions. Somebody needs to figure out why babies hate night and fix it. It if wasn’t for the 9-10 time frame I would think I had a perfect baby.