The witching hour strikes back.

by statia on May 15, 2007

After a nice 4 week stint of a relatively happy baby, the Mini must have hit some sort of milestone of some sort, because while he’s generally pretty happy during the day, 6pm rolls around and cranky baby comes to visit. Three days ago, he started crying for no real reason and nothing was going to soothe him. And it’s the pathetic cry. The one I heard in the doctor’s office. The one that hits that nerve that upsets me, because I feel helpless for him. I’m guessing it’s a developmental phase and I know it’ll pass, but man, I don’t deal well with the incessant crying jags. With one more milestone that we notch in our belt (sleeping for 6-7 hours), another setback occurs.

I can’t wait until he can talk and ask for a damn steak or something. I feel bad for the kid.

Susan May 15, 2007 at 8:37 pm

My daughter Elisabeth had bouts of crying. No amount of boob, changing diapers, rocking, walking, singing, driving, strollering around would work. My mom asked me the one day, “Are you going to throw her out the window?”. It got that bad. But as she grew, she outgrew those cranky, crying bouts. There are many stages. When you advance to the next one, and the ones after that, you think, “wow, those crying bouts weren’t so bad.” Hang in there. I should have asked for more help from my parents. Ask Meester to watch baby and go out for a walk or a trip to starbucks. Sometimes all you need is a time out yourself.

Tonya May 15, 2007 at 11:12 pm

I am SO hoping that it’s not the “C” word cropping up (colic, i.e. baby in pain). My boy started around late (around 3 mos.)– and when combined with reflux– holy crap it’s a bitch. I am hoping it’s fleeting, and that your sweet happy boy returns quickly.

Kathy May 16, 2007 at 5:06 am

Feed him some chili. That always works.

Chris May 16, 2007 at 5:48 am

There’s a certain cry all kids have. I know my daughter does. It has the power to reduce me to a sad boneless pile of jello. Luckily, it doesn’t happen often.

camille May 16, 2007 at 5:55 am

Oh man, I forgot that G used to do that same thing. At a certain time he’d start crying and I’d have to hold him and hold him and hold him. Then I’d have to hold him and sleep on the couch. It was so exhausting. Hang in there. It’ll get better. And before you know it you’ll wish he couldn’t talk so you could have some peace and quiet!

Jenaside May 16, 2007 at 6:49 am

Man, there is something about that post that just wants me to give assvice. Both of my kids would cry in the evening an hour or two before they went to bed. It wasn’t until I had my daughter that I read this.

“She can’t take it anymore
While newborns often thrive on attention, they can easily become overstimulated and have a meltdown. You may find that your baby cries longer than usual after spending a holiday with many adoring family members or has periods at the end of each day when she seems to cry for no reason. Newborns have difficulty processing all the stimulation they receive — the lights, the noise, being passed from hand to hand — and can become overwhelmed by too much activity. Crying is their way of saying, “I’ve had enough.” This usually happens when your baby is tired. Take her somewhere calm and quiet and let her vent for a while, and then see if you can get her to sleep.”

I don’t know how you put your son to bed. I know that with Samantha, my daughter, we started putting her to bed an hour early and then we’d swaddle her (not tightly of course, she would always pull her arms out, but seemed to like it anyway) and let her cry for about 10 minutes. By the end of the ten minutes, the crys were pathetic, and she’d put herself to sleep.

Now she’s nine months and she had a nap in the morning of about an hour, a two hour nap in the afternoon, and she sleeps from 8 pm to 7 am.

So. Sorry about the assvice. I look at babycenter.com for a lot of stuff, because I was clueless when I first started out at the ripe age of 19 (and still a bit clueless now ;) , but they have really good advice and medical information.

Good luck – you’ll figure out what’s best for Mini.

Tiffanni May 16, 2007 at 7:26 am

Aww…poor little guy.
(Love the new look, btw)

geeky May 16, 2007 at 7:48 am

Maybe mini-meester hates California too.

becky May 16, 2007 at 7:51 am

chili? forget the chili man. just feed him straight tobasco- give him something to really cry about.

(i know. i can’t wait for the crying and the not knowing what to do. heh.)

thalia May 16, 2007 at 10:01 am

Sounds a lot like my gddaughter, ie colic. But others have other suggestions, so I’d stick to those right now. Hang on, whether it’s colic or not, it will pass.

Tuesday May 16, 2007 at 11:18 am

I jsut wrote about how to soothe a infant today, maybe it will help?

waiting line May 17, 2007 at 7:08 am

hang in there!

stephanie May 17, 2007 at 8:12 am

we call it the witching hour at my house. after 7 PM, Max is a mess. Girl just needs to sleep after a long day. many babies apparently have a time of day when they are cranky and cry. of course it is no less distressing even if this is the case….

Faith May 17, 2007 at 11:33 am

Many babies, Stephanie? Shit, so is it bad that I STILL have a time of day when I tend to get really cranky and have a good cry?

“I can’t wait until he can talk and ask for a damn steak or something.” Good golly woman, I love you.

just another jenny May 17, 2007 at 5:37 pm

I’m in that witching hour stage right now so if misery loves company, you’ve got some.