So this is what being a grown up feels like.

by statia on May 31, 2007

So we are now card carrying, key holding members of a house. Well, they didn’t really hand us a card, just bottles of wine, but it would be cool to have a pretty laminated card that said “I own a house.” All shiny like. With sparkles, that bitch would definitely need some sparkles.

A house that the old people are still cleaning up the last of their shit from, and we can’t actually get into right now. But first thing tomorrow morning, we’ll be able to. Also, I want to know how the hell the moving process can take all day. Our mover (that’s right, mover, singular, as in, one guy) packed our house up in about 4 hours. Granted, we didn’t have 3,000 square feet of house, but we weren’t fully packed (something he bitched about, but HELLO? new baby, asshole) and we have a LOT of furniture (something he also bitched about. Frequently) But he was still one guy for most of the loading process, and he hauled ass. When we got to the house this morning for the walk through, there were about 4 movers sitting on lawn chairs in the driveway, while the former owner was running around like a madman to get the rest of the stuff out of the house. I don’t know how the hell they worked out that deal. But it seems like a good gig if you can find it.

Settlement. Man, settlement is just a very surreal and weird process. It wasn’t nearly as painful as I thought it was going to be. The sellers were nice people, telling us all of the things that we would need to remember to do. I suppose it’s probably bittersweet. Like leaving your baby with a sitter for the first time. “And if he gets cranky, give him his stuffed dog, he loves that thing, unless he gets the hiccups, then he wants his blankey.” But settlement was actually pleasant and in my personal opinion, way better and faster than the car buying process. Buying a car is a a time vortex, and is like a chore that I loathe. Because seriously, no matter how much I try (and now it’s like a game, like my father, when he’s driving long distance and tries to beat his record time), I can never get out of there in under three hours. The whole process took less than an hour and that included all of the idle chatter in between. Mortgage and title people have the whole thing down to a system. Like a beautiful synchronized swim routine. It was pretty. I like pretty.

Our stuff gets here tomorrow, and next starts the project of making the new house our home. Painting, carpet replacement, blah blah blah. We’ve already started buying grown up shit for our house, like appliances. Dudes, I got excited buying a refrigerator. There is something seriously wrong with me.

We’re going to be without internet or cable until Sunday. Somehow, the karma gods were shining down on us and skipped airing the next episode of the Sopranos and then they shined down on us even more by making our stuff arrive early and once more by having an early morning appointment for Sunday. Let’s just hope Karma keeps her promise.

Lisa June 1, 2007 at 3:34 am

Congrats on buying your first home! I can’t wait to visit. :)

Anita June 1, 2007 at 3:50 am

So you’re the reason I was unable to enjoy Tony’s shenanigans this week. Hmph! Screw kharma, I wanted to watch The Sopranos.

Congratulations on the house, it’s a great feeling knowing it’s yours and you can do whatever you want to it.

Anita June 1, 2007 at 3:50 am

buzz June 1, 2007 at 4:11 am

Welcome to the neighborhood! We already cluttered up your porch with some baby shit. I could feel the evil eye of the neigbors upon us the whole time.

So I killed them.

buddha June 1, 2007 at 4:25 am

Well..well..look who is back in the “hood”. Welcome back and I can assume that the welcome back dinner will be when?….next Tuesday?

Congrats!!

Amy June 1, 2007 at 6:13 am

Congrats! We had the same experience with settlement – it went super fast! And like you mentioned, buying cars recently took us ALL.FREAKING.DAY. What is up with that??

geeky June 1, 2007 at 6:41 am

I’m so glad to hear you say that house buying is easier than car buying. After 3 hours at the car dealership last week, I was ready to poke my eyes out. If house buying was anything like that, we’d be renting for the rest of our lives.

So, what kind of fridge? I covet new appliances! Ours are currently straight out of the 70s :\

Lenni June 1, 2007 at 8:22 am

Yay! New House! Congratulations and welcome back to Philly

camille June 1, 2007 at 10:10 am

If you don’t mind me throwing in my two cents about carpet…
Instead of replacing the carpet in our first house, we tore it up and put down wood laminates. It cost a little more, but it’ll last longer and it was worth it with a new baby (especially during the “he vomits after he eats” younger days, and the later potty training days). And we figured we’d move out of that house within 5 years, and didn’t want to have to replace the carpet. I was pleased with our results (the husband put it in himself) and have decided to NEVER have carpet again. Its a pain in the ass to clean, whereas wood/tile cleans up fast and there isn’t anything left behind (i.e. ground into the carpet pad).

Sorry for the long post, but after 3 years, I now have this freaky thing about carpet.

Camille June 1, 2007 at 10:11 am

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on the house!!!

Donna June 1, 2007 at 7:08 pm

Although I doubt seriously that I will ever think of you as a grown-up, I am happy to hear that things are going well in the Old Hood.

ewe_are_here June 2, 2007 at 12:21 am

Congrats on the new home! So exciting!

We’ve been house hunting for the past couple of weeks –always interesting with a baby and a toddler– but our offers on my first choice (so far) were turned down this week Grrrrr. But we’ll keep looking…

Hope the move-in goes smoothly.

just another jenny June 2, 2007 at 11:09 am

I hope things are going well with the unpacking. It’s a bitch, but a pleasant one when the reward is relaxing in YOUR house.
Damn witching hour eh? What the hell happens to babies at 9pm to make there entire world fall apart?

Deltus June 2, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Yay! I second Camille’s laminate flooring recommendation. You can find it where it’s not that expensive, and you will be happier in the long run. And yeah, details about your appliances.

Chris June 4, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Congrats. We’re in the process of getting our current house nice and pretty so we can sell it. Then buying a new one! Talk about being a grown up.

Linda June 9, 2007 at 1:39 pm

You guys bought a house? SWEET! Congrats!!!

When’s the housewarming party???? :-) )