‘Ol Blue eyes? Brown? what the hell?

by statia on April 15, 2007

So the Mini’s eyes are still that mottled steely gray color that he’s had since birth and the verdict is still out on what color he’s going to end up with. I hope that he ends up with blue eyes, because I get all swoony over dark hair and blue eyes. Not that my son won’t be a heart breaker when he’s all grown up, either way, but I’m holding out for blue.

My eyes are brown, and I know that brown tends to be dominant, but really, there’s kind of a split in my family with eye color. My dad has hazelish green eyes, my sister has calico eyes (she’s got some weird coloring in her eyes, brown, green, hazel, orange. I’m totally not kidding. She covers them up with blue contacts anyway) and my mother has brown eyes (as does my half brother). The meester however, has all blue eyed relatives, so genetically, the Mini’s got about a 35-40% chance of inheriting blue eyes. My eyes changed over to brown almost instantly, so I’m wondering if his eyes would have changed by now.

I wish he’d hurry up and pick a color already. GOD.

Any of you out there remember when your kids eyes started to change to their permanent color?

MsPrufrock April 16, 2007 at 12:21 am

I can’t remember the eye colour change time in a baby’s life. P. was born with bright blue eyes and still has them. I seem to think it’s at six months or so that happens, but I’m not absolutely sure.

I have dark hair and blue eyes and I’m totally hot, so I hope that the Mini can be one of the hot people too.

Steph April 16, 2007 at 4:55 am

Em’s eyes took a while to change from blueberry to the hazel she has now – maybe 6 mos or more. And from what I’ve read recently, that old Punnet square thing from high school bio is NOT how some cultures work. There are some nationalities where the traits are just plain dominant, like Norway and some other places over there, and it doesn’t matter if it’s light blond hair and blue eyes against a whole bunch of brown eyes and dark hair, the kid can still have the light features. My fam is VERY dark haired and Em got the dirty blond hair from dh’s Norwegian genes.
It seems like I also read the blue eyes become obvious sooner for some reason and I do recall this baby that was in daycare w/ her having screaming blue eyes at around 4 mos or so. Basically, anything is possible.

Meredith April 16, 2007 at 5:13 am

I’ve been thinking about this a lot too. Mr. Pithy and I both have very blue eyes, so Finn is bound to as well. However, at six weeks he still has the newborn steely grey eyes and I keep wondering when they’re gonna change. I’ll be lurking in your comments.

Jenaside April 16, 2007 at 6:17 am

Both my kids were born with blue eyes. My almost-three-year-old still has them and so does my nine month old.

DD April 16, 2007 at 6:33 am

You’re going to have to hold out a few more months. My son’s were still changing at 9 mos (he went from baby-gray, to hazel, to brown).

Shanna April 16, 2007 at 6:39 am

When my son was born his eyes were dark blue. At about 3 months they started to get lighter blue then a dark grey. They are now a grey/green/blue. Different version of the calico? ;)
I have brown, my mom has brown and my dad has blue. His dad has blue, his dad’s mom has brown and his dad’s dad had blue. So I am guessing that from how you described it your boy is going to have the grey/blue. Just my guess.

I like the dark hair, blue eyed boys too. I have a red haired, grey eyed boy that I think I will be keeping though. ;)

Ice Queen April 16, 2007 at 7:52 am

My daughter’s did the exact same as Shanna’s son.
Her father and I both have brown eyes, but blue eyes run on both sides of our families.

Ice Queen April 16, 2007 at 7:53 am

Let me amend that to add that hers, at nearly 14, still change colors depending on her mood.
Pissed off = black
Happy = blue
Normal days are green or hazel
depression is grey
So, sometimes you can have the best of everything.
Her eyes aren’t really affected by what she’s wearing so much as how she’s feeling.

geeky April 16, 2007 at 8:59 am

my little brother was a blond haired, blue eyed kid until he was about 3 or 4, when his hair gradually turned medium brown and his eyes turned hazel. you could have to wait a while!

SarahD April 16, 2007 at 9:28 am

Same thing as geeky with my brother. He started out blue and stayed blue, with flyaway light blond hair. Then he hit his teens and his hair turned kinky and brown and his eyes turned green, then hazel. He’s weird.

Steff April 16, 2007 at 11:41 am

My boys eye color changed at about 5 months. Both started out as blue the oldest has greenish/brown eyes, while the youngest has dark brown. Their dad has tootsie roll pop brown eyes while I have blue, even though they change based upon my mood. Yes, I have mood rings for eyeballs.

Hair color: Youngest son has dark blonde oldest has blonde with hints of red cause I am red head. Dad was white blonde as a toddler and dark brown as an adult.

Jennifer April 16, 2007 at 1:38 pm

Hey, I have the same green/brown/orange eyes as your sister!

Turdface’s eyes were BUH-ROWN from the birth, so I never had to guess. (Not like it was that much of a surprise.)

Chris April 16, 2007 at 5:13 pm

I can only imagine what you’ll be like when it’s time for him to pick a college! But I get ahead of myself…

Pamela April 16, 2007 at 6:05 pm

I’m not much help here…

My son had black eyes, I used to call them “shark eyes”.
His dad is Japanese, so he took a lot of his traits…

They didn’t change color, just they just eventually allowed more light in, to reveal a Coca Cola brown.

Do you have the “roly-poly eyes” thing going on with your mini meester?

Ya know, when they go in weird directions before the eye muscles get co-ordinated… What a hoot!

Melissa April 16, 2007 at 6:39 pm

If I remember corectly, from Nursing school, babies eyes generaly do not change after 6 months of age. Until then it’s fair game! Our baby just turned 5 months on Saturday and his eyes are still blue. I am keeping my fingers crossed too because he has dark hair and I want him to have those baby blue eyes also!!

moi April 17, 2007 at 9:40 am

every.single.person in both my family and K’s has blue eyes. our only fun will be in guessing the shade…

Robber Barren April 17, 2007 at 10:01 am

Both of my kids’ eyes are deep blue, but then again they’re not quite three months old yet so I don’t think that counts. (Though the pedi said thatshe thinks if they’re still this deep blue now, they won’t change to brown.) My eyes are that multi-colored mottled amalgam, like your sister’s, with the mood ring effect thrown in for a bonus. I was kinda hoping at least one of the kidlets would end up with those, but it’s not looking good…

isabel April 18, 2007 at 4:41 am

Something like 10 or 12 % of people have eye colour change into adulthood.

So, you never know.

Irlanda July 7, 2009 at 11:52 pm

I had blue eyes when I was a baby (I have pictures to prove it) but now they’re brown it’s weird because my eyes were light blue and they changed into dark brown