Things that make my life glamorous, if nothing else, amusing.

by statia on March 17, 2007

My son’s turd sitting in gladware on the counter. (I think that’s going in his keepsake box)

Finding the cord stump, not in his diaper, but in Miss M’s mouth. (It’s like a raisin, but with more nutritional value)

Accidentally wearing a green t-shirt on the most green day of the year. (I really am part Irish, so maybe it was subliminal)

Having baby poop somewhere on my body at all times. And not even being phased by it. (Seriously, is this how we livin’ now?)

Coincidentally, save the cord stump or toss? Some people are squicked by it. Mine was saved, and yes, I saved the Mini Me-ester’s too (still in tact, even after being nibbled on by tiny dog teeth).

Helen March 18, 2007 at 2:40 am

save the cord stump or toss?

THROW IT OUT. Major squick factor. Major.

I mean, what else are you going to do with it? Show it to his prom date on prom night? Use it as the cake topper for his wedding?

Squick.

(Just my opinion, of course. He’s your nubbin and it’s his…um…nubbin.)

tricia March 18, 2007 at 5:58 am

Miss M is.. ew. Like… ew. I can totally see her waltzing around with that thing in her mouth too… “look what I found!” :CHOMP:

Susan March 18, 2007 at 6:00 am

I wanted to save Elisabeth’s cord stump. After 12 days it fell off and I put it on a table (it was a high table I might add) and when I went to show my mom it was gone. Still not sure if it was the cat or dog who ate. It makes for an interesting story though. I did start a journal for her starting from the delivery adventure. I try to write in it when I can. I always wondered what I was like growing up and now Elisabeth will have an account of her baby, toddler and childhood days. Save what you can. I still have our bill from the hospital and her apgar scores and stuff.

Jenn March 18, 2007 at 7:08 am

I threw out the boys cord stumps. They just weren’t sentimental for me.

Annastazia March 18, 2007 at 7:33 am

I am 29 years old and my mom still has mine. She thinks it’s “so precious.” I think it’s “ewwww.” To each his own, really.

jen March 18, 2007 at 7:48 am

I saved Maya’s. That was her (physical) connection to me and I wasn’t grossed out by it at all…

erica March 18, 2007 at 8:15 am

I threw the stump out too. We were just opening a pack of q tips and a bottle of rubbing alcohol to treat Baby’s cord stump when Daddy pulled his onesie up with the stump stuck to it.

I’m not so much with the poop yet but I find it funny how apathetic I am about usually having spit-up somewhere on my body. I used to be so squeamish about it, now I find myself cheering when he finally gets that burp up and it comes with a white stain.

geeky March 18, 2007 at 8:50 am

consider me squicked.

DD March 18, 2007 at 10:11 am

The belly button itself is way more enduring to look at and recall the connection. Plus, a blurple on the belly button elicits giggles, where as the stump? Not so much.

Dooneybug March 18, 2007 at 10:22 am

Sure, save it! Why not? My son’s is actually still on the bookshelf because I’ve never bothered to put it in his baby book yet.

Mmmm, cord stump. It’s what’s for dinner!

donna March 18, 2007 at 11:57 am

We had to TOSS IT! Ick! I couldn’t even deal with it when it was attached. I made my husband do all the alcohol swabbing of it. Actually, it fell off at the doctor at her 2 week checkup, thankfully, so I didn’t even have to deal with it then.

SarahD March 18, 2007 at 7:25 pm

I’ve actually never heard of saving it. Personally, baby teeth are one thing. The cord? No. Maybe bury it under a tree or something like the placenta.

SSFB March 19, 2007 at 4:50 am

oh my goodness, I didn’t even know that was something to save? What a range of emotions… lol, I’m so completely grossed out yet laughing hysterically at the same time.

Chris March 19, 2007 at 5:09 am

We tossed the stump. I’m not sure there was even much of a debate. As for being covered in poo, I think that’s how us parents roll.

Minawolf March 19, 2007 at 5:40 am

Though I may not be icked out by it, I probably wouldn’t bother saving it. But then, I was wanting to throw out my wedding cake topper the other day and my husband was like “maybe we should save that…”

Camille March 19, 2007 at 5:44 am

I kept the son’s until we were packing up to move and I realized it had no sentimental value to me so I threw it out.

just another jenny March 19, 2007 at 2:57 pm

I don’t like cord stumps. I hope that when my little one comes out it falls off as quickly as the mini-meesters did. I woulda let the dog eat it.

Faith March 20, 2007 at 10:45 am

You make me smile, woman. Gracias for that.

And I’m with Helen on the cord stump thing…

Kathy March 20, 2007 at 12:54 pm

No one ever told me how much you actually come into contact with feces when you have a kid. I was tricked.

Who the eff am I?? - OMG I am still using that! I mean Amyesq March 20, 2007 at 5:10 pm

Save for what, exactly? I mean it doesn’t gross me out – but then really nothing does (dude, I have a good friend who encapsulates placentas for a living) but I am just more of a tosser-outer of most things. But if there is a good reason I am not thinking of…

Alison March 21, 2007 at 8:19 am

What…wait…WHAT? People save that stuff? GAH. THROW IT AWAY! NOW!

For reals, what would you ever do with it? Why save it?

Lenni March 21, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Save it so that he has something to blog about someday!

suzie March 21, 2007 at 5:39 pm

my sister kept her children’s and i will say the same thing to you i said to my own flesh and blood- ew! ew! ew!

maybe you could modify the whole bury the placenta under a tree tradition and plant it in a nice peace lilly? that way you could keep it near, and be able to move it since you’re not likely in your permanent location. and you wouldn’t have a biohazard sitting in your baby book.