Pooptastic

by statia on March 15, 2007

So, uh, yeah. Infant constipation? Not fun.

What the hell do you do for a 1½ week old with constipation? We’re doing extra water at the directive of the ol’ ped, but seriously, I feel bad for the kid.

Updated: Because it’s inevitable that this blog will now become that of my child’s shitting habits, we’ve figured out the problem. Powdered formula is not his friend. He poops like a champ on the liquid, on the powdered, well, if you consider pooping like a champ, passing something that’s rock hard and the size of his fist, well then I guess, he’s training for the poop olympics.

Cari March 15, 2007 at 12:03 pm

My parents took my sister’s temperature with a rectal thermometer (21 years ago) and that seemed to do the trick. Like the sphincter forgets how to open or something? Anyway, it’s worth a shot. But beware, there is usually some sort of explosion once things get moving again. Poor baby; good luck!

Tracy March 15, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Wow. No advice about that one. Is it because he’s learning to digest formula? Could switching to a different type help? (Totally in the dark on this one, since I breastfed the teenager. Well, not WHEN she was a teenager. You know.)

Jenn March 15, 2007 at 12:23 pm

Rectal temperature usually works here or some pear juice (don’t know if he’s too young for that though). We didn’t have to deal with that until they started solids.

Lisa March 15, 2007 at 12:38 pm

Ew, it’s no fun. My firstborn actually was prescribed tiny glycerin suppositories which made things move *really* quickly. I’d recommend trying any other option first though, including taking the temp. rectally before asking the ped. for those. His pediatrician did say it’s more common than I thought it was, though, so don’t hesitate to call and ask yours for ideas.

Lisa March 15, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Jeez, I feel stupid now seeing as you said you already called the ped. :-P Nevermind.

Random Lurking Jackass March 15, 2007 at 12:51 pm

Cameron was like that. We would hold him like a football (belly to the forearm) and then curl him up into a ball. It’d help. We switched Isomil instead of Similac, and it seemed to help him.

Of course, Cameron only eats Chicken and Peanut Butter now… Maybe that’s why.

Jodi March 15, 2007 at 1:04 pm

I feel for you – we had the same issue with our daughter . At our doctor’s instruction (and I apologize if this is too much info!), we lubed up a Qtip and would push it in a little until she pushed it out then did it again a few more times. You just have to teach them how to use those muscles a litte. After a couple of days, she had it figured out and is the poopin’-est kid in the world!

Faith March 15, 2007 at 2:01 pm

Um, will that rectal thermometer trick work on grown ups, too, does anybody know? It might be handy to know for future reference…

Erin March 15, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Tiny little infant glycerin suppositories is what our pediatrician suggested. Works like a charm.

Erin March 15, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Oh yeah, and dark karo syrup in the formula.

Lut C. March 15, 2007 at 2:53 pm

Some olive oil in the bottle?
Heck, I don’t know.

robyn March 15, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Very, very diluted prune juice (Beechnut makes it in little glass bottles in the baby food aisle) with nursery water was what they told us to do with N. Worked pretty quickly. With T, it took a formula change eventually — but he’s lactose-intolerant so that’s a whole ‘nuther ballgame. Poor little man. I second the curling him up and the “bicycle pedal” leg motions — will help get those intestines moving around a bit.

robyn March 15, 2007 at 3:17 pm

By the way, you are SO a mommy blogger now. ;-p

Brandi March 15, 2007 at 4:35 pm

All my tips from my mom’s home day care are already posted. So sorry you are going through this. It’s miserable when they are hurting.

donna March 15, 2007 at 5:33 pm

I have heard the trick with the thermometer or the q-tip works too, but we’ve not had to try it. I know my nephew had to change formulas until they found one he could digest easily enough.

Good luck, I know he can’t be a happy boy with a backup going on.

Busy Mom March 15, 2007 at 8:20 pm

Yup, a check of the ol’ rectal temperature should do wonders.

Teenuh March 15, 2007 at 9:51 pm

He so is your child. Pooper Jr!

SSFB March 16, 2007 at 6:07 am

Ooooo, his poor little tush! Glad you’ve got him sorted out!

Ms. Pants March 16, 2007 at 9:12 am

I’m still amazed there aren’t any poop photos yet.

Empress March 16, 2007 at 2:34 pm

The powdered formula? Didn’t anyone tell you that you have to add water to that? Of course, he was constipated ingesting all that powder! I’m glad you finally switched him to the liquid version. Much better! :)

Mary Scarlet March 16, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Is he too little to give him a Whopper Jr? Because that always gets things a-movin’ for me. (Sorry to be an asshole, I have no actually useful advice for you. You have a bayyyybeee! So happy!)

Lil March 16, 2007 at 5:14 pm

Ouch! Poor critter. ANd I thought that infant diarrhea was bad!

Stephanie March 16, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Yes, the thermometer works just fine. Just don’t forget to lube that sucker up, first. Make sure you have a diaper on standby because the thermometer trick works quickly sometimes.

My sister used pear juice on my nephew, too. And, I have a friend that added 2 tbs of prune juice to each bottle.

Susan March 17, 2007 at 6:46 am

I would ask about changing formulas. I’ve known other moms who switched formulas and it helped greatly with their babies bowel movements. What goes in usually comes out.

just another jenny March 17, 2007 at 7:48 am

I like reading all the advice. Reading your blog has become a prep course.

Kathy March 17, 2007 at 3:19 pm

Don’t ever comment here but I thought I would share our wonder trick from our ped…Karo syrup (brown). Just add a 1 tbsp to a 8 oz bottle and warm. Works like a charm!

Ornery March 17, 2007 at 9:01 pm

Sounds like you know what to do now, but if you have any more constipation problems, I’d suggest asking the doc for a prescription for lactulose. It’s not a drug, it’s a sugar that acts kind of like super-concentrated prune juice, which is a good thing when the baby’s still small and not taking in much volume. We used it on our girl when she was on iron supplements, and it did a great job. Try to avoid glycerin suppositories if possible because those things turn baby rectums into glycerin addicts.

Camille March 19, 2007 at 5:42 am

glad you were able to figure out what caused it.

Who the eff am I?? March 20, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Aww, poor little baby’s anoos(said in Borat style)! Hopefully it gets better soon.