Pass the pie…

by statia on March 21, 2007

The fact that its been over two weeks now that I had a baby, just blows my mind. But here we are, settling into parenthood, trying to stop flying by the seat of our pants.

It’s taking time. But I think we’re making headway.

I’m starting to feel more human again. I’m able to get around easily, without the assistance of pain killers. I’m able to sleep on my stomach comfortably again. I’ve lost 35lbs of the weight I gained. I feel good, I still look a little haggard, but I feel good. For me this is huge.

I spent a good portion of my 20′s battling my weight and constantly worrying and stressing over how I looked, what size I was, and generally feeling uncomfortable in my own skin. Hell, I was like this right up until I got pregnant. A good portion of my 20′s was spent as a borderline anorexic. I relaxed a little though, as I got older, but I never got over the feeling of not feeling like I looked good.

And now, post partum, the last thing on my mind is busting my ass to get back to my “comfort weight.” I’m not sure if it’s age, or having just had a baby, but I never really stressed about my weight throughout all of this. And I’m not going to lie to you, I put on more than the recommended amount they tell you that you should gain. I didn’t go nuts, but I didn’t deny myself at all. Possibly because who knows if I’ll get this opportunity again. There was no guilt, just as for the first time in my life, there’s no guilt for losing the weight. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to sit down and eat chocolate and watch soaps all day, but I’m not going to lose all of the weight in 6 weeks.

I guess my priorities have shifted, but I feel pretty damn good and I’ll take that any way I can get.

Jen March 21, 2007 at 8:22 pm

:O)

jen-again March 21, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Two weeks already!?!

Congrats on being comfortable with where your body is- its been busy doing amazing things for the last 10 months.

robyn March 21, 2007 at 9:34 pm

But the real question is…are you shaving your legs? ;-p

(And we get to stop flying by the seat of our pants at some point? I must have missed the memo…)

Lori March 22, 2007 at 2:59 am

Wow – I could’ve written this post, if I had the energy to actually post that is.
When we were visiting the twins in the NICU after I was discharged, I walked by the admission area for L&D and the woman working tried to stop me and told me I needed to check in with her first. She thought I was there to give birth. I was able to laugh about it and told her I already had my babies and was just going to the NICU. She was mortified. I looked down at my squishy belly and thought – Hmm, is this was full term with a singleton looks like??

Minawolf March 22, 2007 at 5:47 am

Good for you in feeling comfortable with yourself. I have to admit that I worry about how I’ll handle it. But then I can’t really care enough to worry too much. I will hope that I have the same luck as you do and drop that much within the first two weeks :)

geeky March 22, 2007 at 6:45 am

sounds like you’re doing pretty well :)

Lady In Waiting March 22, 2007 at 6:53 am

Having struggled with an eating disorder myself, and having heard of many women for whom their eating disordered thoughts become even worse during pregnancy, I am impressed by your ability to respect your body! You probably put on more weight than was recommended because you were a bit underweight.
Congratulations for finding love for your physical self!

Lenni March 22, 2007 at 7:41 am

Glad to hear things are going so well!

Steff March 22, 2007 at 10:40 am

You are doing wonderful! Don’t worry about the weight and try to be comfortable in your own skin, you have achieved the ultimate and now the greatest little guy on the planet is yours to keep!

Donna March 22, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Ah yes, the Priority Shift, where one focuses on another (small) person so exclusively they forget some of their own issues. Huzzah!

just another jenny March 22, 2007 at 1:35 pm

35 lbs in 2 weeks? Oh god, that gives me hope. I think we probably put on about the same amount (although I’m still gaining). If I lose 35lbs in 2 months I’ll be happy. I didn’t do as well as you with letting go of the guilt. The guilt didn’t stop me from gaining but it still hasn’t stopped bothering me.

Linda March 22, 2007 at 3:49 pm

If you’ve lost 35 pounds in 2 weeks you are a rock star! I honestly think you have so much energy that it will fly off.

Kathy March 23, 2007 at 7:28 am

*laughs @ Robyn*

Something about becoming a mother changes how you think about everything. I still “think” about my weight but I spend more time thinking about whether Reilly is eating enough nevermind what I am eating. I think motherhood suits you.

Haw.

moi March 23, 2007 at 9:35 am

your post gave me hope too. its an amazing feeling, to not deny yourself of what you want. i’ve tried it, and I loved every mouthfull.

Camille March 23, 2007 at 10:20 am

Glad you’re feeling good. That is really great.