Party to the break of dawn

by statia on March 11, 2007

Number one piece pajamas I’ve changed over the last 3 days: 846
Number of loads of “baby” laundry I’ve done over the last 2 days: 4,839,721
Hours of sleep I’ve gotten: negative 19

Suffice to say that things are going along swimmingly over here.

Honestly, it’s really not that bad. Mini Me-ester is a pretty easy baby for the most part. The kid could have a 40 pound diaper and it wouldn’t phase him in the slightest. We are however, having some nighttime sleep issues. As in, “try and thwart my evil plan to put me down, go ahead, I dare you.” So for the last few nights, I’ve spent a good portion of my time sleeping in a chair with a baby on my lap. During the day? “No problem, put me down, pick me up, I don’t care, I’m just going to be all easy like.”

My preshus miracle* is really fun.

The sleep deprivation while, it sucks, I don’t think it’s hit me fully yet. I do long to sleep in my bed for more than two hours at a clip, but I know this will pass, hopefully before the kid is 17 because man, imagine rocking a 17 year old in a glider?

Miss M has totally surprised both of us. Both dogs have been good, but G is more like “eh, call me when he’s on solids.” Miss M is ever so vigilant and if I’m not in the same room as him she gets very upset and starts whining, like “woman, why are you leaving OUR baby alone?” I’m venturing to guess that she’s becoming quite protective and maybe, just maybe, she won’t eat his head.

I’m still working on the whole picture thing. It’s taking me years to get everything up and running, because dammit if I didn’t grow a 3rd and 4th hand post partum. For those of you that will get to see pictures, hold your horses. And for those of you that won’t, well, I can guarantee you that this kid is damn cute, and I’m not just saying that because I’m his mother, I have witnesses. He looks a lot like his father, except for the whole mess of dark hair he has, which I have no idea who he got that from.

*are you two happy now?

Mel March 11, 2007 at 11:22 am

Sounds like all is normal over there. I can’t wait to see the photos! I wish you as much sleep as you can get :)

MsPrufrock March 11, 2007 at 11:34 am

Statia, the Lord Jesus Christ only gives you as much as you can handle. He would not have blessed you with your wee bundle of joy if He didn’t think you were prepared.

Crusading for Christ aside, you get used to the sleep deprivation. Well, there is obviously a limit, but for the most part you find yourself just getting on with it. I am (was?) an 8+ hours of sleep a night person and I was sure I couldn’t handle any less. I have, and do, and I’m relatively functional. Go me.

I’m glad to hear you and the babie (misspelling intentional) are doing well. I can’t wait to see pictures.

cee March 11, 2007 at 11:38 am

ah yes…. the 2 hour clips… hang in there! How awesome your little doggie is mother hen! Cuteness!

Amanda March 11, 2007 at 12:04 pm

Aww, Miss M.’s reaction is so cute… hope the sleeping things gets better soon!

robyn March 11, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Don’t forget that full head of almost-black hair that N was born with, and now his hair is white-blonde (with a stint of carrot-top in between). These things can change. But it’s fun to make the Meester guess which delivery man’s it is in the meantime… Both my boys were about 10 weeks old before they left my chest at night. You’do’whatcha’gotta’do.

Vanessa March 11, 2007 at 12:32 pm

While I am thrilled at the use of the terms, you didn’t use the word “angel” there also, it was the three-combo deal there I was going for.

Still, the Mini Meester is cute, so I’ll pretend you’ve already said it.

PS-I understand a tug of whiskey’ll help that little guy go right to sleep at bedtime.

Lut C. March 11, 2007 at 12:48 pm

But still awake enough to blog!

Ms. Pants March 11, 2007 at 1:15 pm

I kinda figured that the dogs would become protective of him. He’s a pack leader now, dude. (Who AM I?!)

And yes–he is gorgeous. I can definitely vouch for that. And I don’t think most babies are cute until they’re about 5 months old. (And sometimes not even then.) So that I think he’s cute–he’s definitely adorable. I want to snarf his little feets.

Bonnie March 11, 2007 at 1:49 pm

YAY FOR THE DOGS!

I’m glad you posted about them being the crazy dog lady that I am.

Jennifer March 11, 2007 at 2:17 pm

I hope you know that I am DYING here. DYING!! With the baby lurve! (Which is way lurvier when I don’t have to change any poopy diapers.)

Dee Dee March 11, 2007 at 3:54 pm

Glad you’re settling in just fine! I have no idea what I would have done if I didn’t own a washer and dryer. The sleep thing takes time.

Jenn March 11, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Sleep deprivation SUCKS. So much so that I wrote socks instead of sucks. Three times. I hope I get to see pics.

just another jenny March 11, 2007 at 6:41 pm

In that case, I’m afraid I don’t have enough 1 peice pj’s, although I am glad I bought the extended warranty on my washer.
Yea for super dogs! Glad to hear they reacted well.

Annastazia March 11, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Glad to see the Mini-Meester has a female chihuahua in his corner. G-man can look all threatening, but I think Miss M. will be the one that kicks the ass. Lucky kid. :-)

Lisa March 11, 2007 at 8:18 pm

It’s adorable! And I’m glad Miss M decided to keep watch over him. :)

Camille March 12, 2007 at 6:06 am

Glad to know things are going along normally. Good to hear that the dogs are doing so well. Wait…didn’t someone say they might surprise you? Oh yea…that was me. :-)

geeky March 12, 2007 at 8:13 am

i’m so glad you’re still blogging, despite the sleep deprivation, and that you haven’t been reduced to using “cutie patootie” and the like.

SarahD March 12, 2007 at 9:25 am

I wonder if you shouldn’t put a rolling counter, like the smoking deaths one, for loads of laundry done? :)

Miss M sounds like my mom’s cat Honey after my brother was born. Apparently she adopted him right away and stood watch over everything. She’d get up when he was fed, and pace with Mom when she walked him up and down the hall. Very cute.

Lisa March 12, 2007 at 9:35 am

I had a feeling Miss M. would come around.

I wanna see pics!! *whine* ;-)

Steff March 12, 2007 at 10:54 am

I am so glad everyone is adjusting to each other so well!

Faith March 12, 2007 at 11:08 am

Yay for updated posts from new baby-mamas! You make me happy…

moi March 12, 2007 at 12:00 pm

I’m thrilled to read the update, that everyone is doing so well. keep them coming when you can… :)

Tracy March 12, 2007 at 1:46 pm

COMPLETELY forgot my comment when I read “the lord jesus christ” in the second comment. My brain went “poof”…or maybe more like “pff.”

Anyway – glad to hear about the pooches! Hopefully the G-man doesn’t decide the diapers make the baby more interesting. Yeah, dogs will eat them. Didja know that?

And Ms. M protecting him…how adorable. SO glad that it ended up not being a problem!

Chris March 12, 2007 at 5:49 pm

Yep, that all sounds about right to me ;-)

Glad you guys are all doing well. Sleep when you can. Otherwise, uh, do laundry ;-)

missy March 12, 2007 at 8:12 pm

oh yay! I’m so glad the dogs have adopted the baby! The lack of sleep gets easier, promise. :) Glad all is going well, and hope I can be on the photo list when you find time to send them!

Lenni March 13, 2007 at 6:55 am

What? You mean you didn’t save all that sleep you were getting before the mini-meester was born in a box so you could use it now like everyone told you?

Glad to hear everyone’s home and healthy and that Miss M is coping so well!

ari March 13, 2007 at 7:23 am

Congrats, and have as much fun as possible. We are at a month and the changes are just crazy. Its such an awesome time, so enjoy and congrats to you and the meester.

Tracee March 15, 2007 at 12:25 am

Thanks for the visual of rocking a 17-yr. old.

PRICELESS!