Gee, they never said you’d experience fatigue….

by statia on March 8, 2007

So, um, yeah, nothing new really going on here. Not like I went off and had a baby or anything…

Oh, wait, I did.

Thank you all so much for the sentiments regarding our newest addition. We are totally thrilled beyond words. I’m still very much in a haze that we actually have a baby now. Not a day goes by that we’re not just totally in awe over this fact.

This will be kind of quick, but I wanted to do a recap of the birth story, as hazy as it is already, mainly because I already don’t remember some stuff, and had to ask the nurse about it the next day.

We had our scheduled c-section on Monday at 12:30. All I wanted was some ice chips or something, since I hadn’t had anything to eat or drink since about 8pm the night before. I had been denied by the anesthesiologist, who I’ve decided was a total nazi. Naturally, it gotten unusually busy in the L&D ward right after I had gotten there, so my c-section ended up getting pushed back, which is par for the course, and totally something I had expected to happen. When I told the nurse this, she looked at me as if I had lasers shooting out of my ears and nose because apparently, they’re usually always on time. Right. Now for the most part, I was pretty calm about the whole thing, as if getting sliced open was something I did on a daily basis. My mother-in-law and step-father-in-law were there to meet their grandson so we were all hanging out until it was time to go.

I ended up only getting delayed by about a half an hour, and just as they were finalizing everything up, I started to have an anxiety attack about the whole thing. I didn’t exactly want to get sliced open, nor did I want to rip to my asshole, and at that moment I lost all sense of reason and thought, maybe, just maybe, that he could stay in there forever.

The nurse, who was a fucking rock star, brought me in and made sure that my ass was covered from the cameras in the hall and I got up on the table. The anesthesiologist gave me a mild dose of ativan in my IV and while he was giving me the spinal, my OB commented on my socks that Helen sent me. They were the same socks that I wore for during my FET, so you know, I had to go with it. I get the spinal and get all strapped in on the table and then the Meester comes in. This is where it gets a little hazy. I hated being numb. It was just the weirdest feeling ever. Once they had started, I felt all of the usual tugging and moving. The part between that and the birth is where I only remember bits and pieces. I remember them pulling him out and he came out SCREAMING. No lag time at all. One of the things I always worried about was that they’d pull him out and have to work to get him to cry. Yeah, no, he was pissed off and he let everyone know it (consequently, I think this was that was the most he’s cried so far). Apparently, and this is the part that I don’t remember, he was still so far up in my uterus, that they needed the vacuum to pull him out. He was very cozy in there and I do remember her saying, that he wouldn’t have come out for a while if he were to go on his own. Thank god for scheduled c-sections. While they were stitching me up, the Meester took him out to introduce him to his grandparents and went with him to the nursery. I met up with them later while in recovery, where I was trying to jedi mind trick my legs into moving.

So that’s pretty much that.

My little Mini Meester is absolutely perfect. He’s a very quiet and content baby, which I’m thankful for and I’m also sure that my mother is cursing at the karma gods for.

I’m suffering what my doctor is calling a borderline pre-eclampsia, the post partum version. I’ve still got a good bit of fluid retention and I’m on high alert for headaches and blurred vision.

All of it is so worth it.

girl March 8, 2007 at 11:32 pm

I’m dying to see the little Meester! SO happy for you! xoxo

Helen March 9, 2007 at 12:55 am

Lucky socks never stop being lucky.

I love this life you have.

buzz March 9, 2007 at 3:02 am

That’s SO AWESOME! Congratulations! I can’t wait to meet the little fella! Maybe we can go fishing. Or bowling. Or maybe just hang out at the mall, yo.

Empress March 9, 2007 at 3:03 am

I’m so happy for you guys! And very pleased that you have such a calm baby – that’s wonderful!

(My first one was also so high up that I swear he was hanging onto my rib cage. He did not want to come out!)

Give the beautiful baby a hug for me!

Lisa March 9, 2007 at 3:43 am

I’m so excited for the three of you. Congratulations again!

Jen March 9, 2007 at 4:14 am

The numbness was the worst part for me. HATED it.

Glad it all went so well, congrats again! I am SO thrilled for you two!!

SSFB March 9, 2007 at 4:46 am

Awwww, thanks for the update Statia, I’m glad you’re all doing so well! I can’t read about the baby and not smile :) I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the mini-meester stays a sweet and quiet baby throughout baby-hood.

mel March 9, 2007 at 6:04 am

I could not be more thrilled for you guys! :D eeeeeeeeee!!! You’re a MOM!!! :D WOW!

Amy March 9, 2007 at 6:06 am

I was thinking about you this morning as I was getting ready for work. So glad to see an update here from you. Also, very happy that things are going so well thus far. Still just totally stoked for you guys!!!

A good friend of mine had IVF done and found out a couple of days ago that she’s pregnant. She’s 40, so she’s very leery at this point… but I keep thinking of your story and hoping she has the same outcome. :-)

Jen(aside) March 9, 2007 at 6:17 am

Congratulations, again!

I can’t think of anything cute, witty, and touching to say that doesn’t come out as assvice.

So. Um. Congratulations, again! ;)

just another jenny March 9, 2007 at 6:20 am

I’m glad to hear that everybody is home and doing well. I hope the fluid retention goes away soon, I’m sure your ready to get rid of the fat face.

You realize that saying “that he wouldn’t have come out for a while if he were to go on his own” scares the hell out of me because mine is firmly settled in my throat. Wonder if it’s too late to ask for a c-section?

DD March 9, 2007 at 6:31 am

I wanna see, I wanna SEE!

(uh, not your incision, either, so don’t get cute)

Will Mini Meester get his own blog or will you let him guest post here?

Danya March 9, 2007 at 6:33 am

Congrats again!

missy March 9, 2007 at 6:42 am

Again, Congratulations and best wishes for all of you. It couldnt have happened to a more deserving family!

Lisa March 9, 2007 at 7:11 am

I’m so happy to hear you’re all doing well; congratulations again, and a warm welcome to the world to the Little Meester. :)

Camille March 9, 2007 at 7:23 am

I’m beaming with happiness for you right now! Congratulations. I’m just….so happy. Looking forward to hearing all the stories about him and watching him grow up.

SJW March 9, 2007 at 7:25 am

Must. see. Little. Meester.
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez?

Teresa March 9, 2007 at 7:28 am

Congrats again Mommy. All the joy in the world is in your arms now.

amy t. March 9, 2007 at 8:08 am

You made it through that whole post without using “amazing” or “miraculous!” Congrats!

Kidding. I’m so happy for you babe. Your patron shot picture will be sent sometime. As soon as I have time to upload photos. It’s not going on Flickr, as both Pants & I look a bit unfortunate in it. I hope you got my text though and know I’m sending many thoughts to Fetus to help him stay quiet.

Ms. Pants March 9, 2007 at 8:10 am

So he was crawling up into your throat. See, maybe by the time I [maybe] have a baby, I actually will be able to burp him out. I think that Meesito was just ahead of his time. He wanted to find a new way to come out.

I’m so happy for you!! The last line made me totally teary.

(And tell Meester I was surprised there was no poop photo. And oddly, a little disappointed. What the hell is wrong with me?!)

Merrin March 9, 2007 at 8:44 am

So happy for you! But…”quiet and content”? Are you sure he’s yours? ;-)

cee March 9, 2007 at 9:40 am

Sweet, sweet!! So happy for you guys and looking forward to the family photo! Thanks for taking the time to tell us all the news! Enjoy and hope for a speedy recovery.

donna March 9, 2007 at 9:59 am

Congratulations! I don’t know why I thought you were going to be scheduled for your c-section later in the month. Glad that it all went well and that it continues to go well.

I know you aren’t posting pictures of him, but I’m dying here!

Faith March 9, 2007 at 10:37 am

Mini Meester. PERFECT blog name for the little guy, if I may say so.

I can’t believe you’ve already posted. You’re my hero!!

robyn March 9, 2007 at 10:37 am

I would sell my soul to see him right now. Saying “we’re so happy for you” is like the biggest understatement I’ve ever typed. Much love to the left coast from Mousevilleā„¢! xoxoxoxo

amber March 9, 2007 at 11:16 am

So good to hear that it all went well.

Lisa March 9, 2007 at 11:39 am

I’m so happy for all of you…especially after everything you’ve been through. Best wishes to the whole family! :D

Kate March 9, 2007 at 11:53 am

Hooray!! Glad you’re all back and doing well. Relatively speaking :)

Tim K. March 9, 2007 at 12:08 pm

Congratulations! It truly is a wonderous day when fellow infertiles give birth. Yea! for scientific progress!

(Statia, I know that I don’t comment often. But if you would let me see a photo of the little Mini Meester, I would be honored. I can’t believe that I’ve been reading you for over 5 years now! It’s almost like you are part of my family. I’m so happy for you!)

skits March 9, 2007 at 1:21 pm

YOU BLOGGED!!eleventy!!1!!

I hope you feel better today, lady.

meegan March 9, 2007 at 2:35 pm

soooo fucking happy for you and the meester, yo ;)

Steff March 9, 2007 at 2:39 pm

Tears are running down my face! I am so proud of ALL 3 of you!!

Jenn March 9, 2007 at 4:36 pm

Congratulations again. It IS worth it. There may be times when it doesn’t feel like it, but in the end, it is.

Brandi March 9, 2007 at 7:23 pm

Awwww…I am so happy for all of you. Can’t wait to hear more about motherhood and the little man. :)

SarahD March 9, 2007 at 8:48 pm

It’s fantastic to hear right from you that everything went well–thanks for taking that effort on such a big first week, Statia. What good fortune that he’s so happy and you had good timing on the C-section. Clearly he was going to be a stubborn one! Best wishes to you all and hugs to the little one…

caltechgirl March 9, 2007 at 10:51 pm

So glad that you and the little man are both well, and so happy for you and the Meester!

Bonnie March 10, 2007 at 5:09 am

I was a hangeroner, too. (Scheduled c’s were not happening 4 decades ago.) The doctors told my mom I would be a Valentine’s baby. My mom said I’d be a St. Pat’s baby. I decided to make a dramatic entrance on Easter Sunday while Mom took my three older sisters out to the zoo.

Again, I’m so happy for you guys. I’m more of a lurker, but I can’t help commenting now because of this wonderful event. You were one of my first reads after I started blogging … I think I found you about googling “pizza and weird and dreams”.

Linda March 10, 2007 at 10:19 am

So glad the little one is finally here! I hope that photos will be forthcoming!

Okay! You know what time it is, don’t you?

Well….(drum roll)….It’s time to send Dr. Moustache a birth announcement!!! I have been waiting for this moment since the day of your BFP. Please, oh please, tell us what you write in it? :-)

Annastazia March 10, 2007 at 10:24 am

This is so amazing. I’m incredibly happy for you both! Welcome Mini Meester!

Anita March 11, 2007 at 7:59 am

Congratulations Statia. I just love coming by here and reading your posts but this one is my favorite!

Amanda March 11, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Thank you for stharing. Congratulations!!!

And I can’t even imagine what a weird sensation that might have been.

becky March 12, 2007 at 8:06 pm

so cool, dude. congrats again.