I’m not a tease, I’m just not ready to go all the way.

by statia on February 27, 2007

I know a lot of people have told me that they are excited for Fetus’s debut. Believe me, no one is more excited than we are, and we really appreciate you all following along with us. It’s definitely been a wild ride and it’s now starting to slow down. Please keep arms and legs inside the car until it comes to a complete stop.

That said, I know a lot of people are also eager to see Fetus. And well, for most people, that just won’t be happening, as we’re putting down some pretty strict ground rules on how things will go down around here in regards to pictures. There will be no pictures of Fetus made public. Unless it’s a “non face shot.” I might be hyper paranoid, but sharing pictures of my child on the internet makes both of us extremely uncomfortable. As parents, we have a responsibility to Fetus to make sure that she/he stays safe. The internet man, it’s become a fucked up place. People stealing images and making them their own, child p0rn, etc. I do my best to block search engines, but that doesn’t mean that pictures can’t be indexed.

Originally, I thought about just posting pictures privately, for friends and family only on Flickr. I loves me some Flickr, but as of late, there has been a lot of issues regarding their caching servers screwing up pictures, and replacing sometimes even images that are marked friends and family only. While they SAY it was a caching issue, and that it’s been fixed, I don’t buy it. Between that issue and now this issue, I don’t really trust Flickr for anything more than pictures of unicorns and farts. We’ve decided to set up our own hosted gallery that will be password protected. This sucks, but ultimately, I’m the grown up now and I have to be all responsible for Fetus’s well being.

As much as I don’t want to be thrown into the “mommy blog” category, there will still be Fetus stories on here, because I’m not really ready to give up blogging, and blogging is really an extension of what’s going on in my life. You’ll be notified when Fetus gets the ol’ welcome to the world slap on the ass, and when that gallery of pictures is set up, we’ll let you know, and if you’re not a lurker, and you’ve commented here before, and we feel comfortable sharing the link and password with you, we’ll gladly let you see the pictures.

You can call me the big fat meanie now, I’ll be ok with that.

heather February 27, 2007 at 2:55 pm

i have been reading u for a while but i agree i dont post any pics unless they are on flickr and protected.. congrats!!

BeachGirl February 27, 2007 at 2:56 pm

But but…I’m a lurker who’s not creepy. Really! In fact, I lurk b/c I’m not yet too sure about putting myself “out there” for just anyone. Can I apply for a password!? If I send references?!

Ok, this is starting to sound weird. I’ll ask some other time.

Most importantly: Good luck w/ the big day. You’re going to be the coolest mom ever.

DD February 27, 2007 at 3:05 pm

I certainly hope I’ll catch a glimpse or two of Fetus.

I totally get the whole thing about pictures on the web (even though I have shared some pictures over time). A few fucktards can really ruin it for the rest of us nosy bitches.

Merrin February 27, 2007 at 3:23 pm

I’m not a lurker, even though I might be a little weird ;-) . So how about this? You show me yours, and when it’s our turn, I’ll show you mine (and not in a p0rn kinda way). Camille can vouch for me!

Tracy February 27, 2007 at 3:35 pm

Uh…Call YOU a meanie at this point? (covers my coccyx) Nope, no meanie.

You hit the nail on the head – you have to do what makes you feel safe about the kiddo. Hell, I was so paranoid I wouldn’t let my kiddo out of my sight in the hospital, even to go to the nursery, and I had never HEARD of blogs 14 years ago. (But I HAD watched far too many soap operas where somebody stole or switched the baby…)

donna February 27, 2007 at 3:35 pm

OK, now I’m running to take down all my pictures off of flickr…..

Beth February 27, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Meanie! Although I am leaning your direction more and more these days.

J February 27, 2007 at 3:59 pm

I might have commented before on your blog, a long time ago, …or maybe I just commented in my head, which is what I usually do, given the shy lurker that I am. But even if I don’t make myself heard much, I swear I am not a creepy kind of lurker. I am just a fellow IF who’s been rooting for you, and your success helps me keep the faith.

When you announced that you’d keep Fetus’ gender private, I thought it was a fun idea to build the suspense and have us all guessing. But please don’t keep us hanging about your parenting adventures! That would be such a shame, since you’ll be such cool parents parenting one very cool Fetus. I understand, though, your need for picture-privacy.

kate February 27, 2007 at 4:55 pm

congratulations to you & the meester on your baby!( & your decision to keep photos of your little one to whom you choose) life can be scary with or without the internet;why should all of us be entitled to ALL your family biz-nass?! best of luck to you and your family! (and i enjoy your blog, by the way)

skits February 27, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Oh, I’ll call you more than that.

Michele February 27, 2007 at 5:02 pm

big (not fat for too much longer :) meanie. The big day is not far away…woo hoo! And double woo hoo for c-sections!

Erin February 27, 2007 at 5:02 pm

I think you are so smart for doing that. I’ve just caught on to that whole Flickr issue and I’m in the process of taking my pictures of my own daughter down.

Chris February 27, 2007 at 5:19 pm

You know, “how do you take a picture of a fart” is a pretty existential question.

I totally understand where you’re coming from. We never thought twice about posting pictures of Mia until fairly recently. It’s a tough call.

Asha February 27, 2007 at 7:13 pm

I totally get it, too. As much as I love seeing goofy pics of kids, I always feel a little uneasy with all the creepos out there.

And yes, you have been pregnant for what feels like fuhevah. Would you hurry up and birth this baby already? I’m 23 weeks and it already feels like time has stopped and pregnancy will never end and I’ll never wear clothes without elastic again. I am in desperate need of posts from the otherside.

Wishing you all the best for your delivery!

Solonor February 27, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Bah. What makes you think I want to see your dumb ole kid anyway? Ya seen one baby, ya seen ‘em all.

Now, if you gots one of them farting unicorn pictures handy…

Dooneybug February 27, 2007 at 7:51 pm

Totally understand your stance. I find myself posting less and less photos lately. Almost feel like if I don’t want my own picture on the internet what makes it ok to put my kid’s on there.

But hell yeah I want to see photos so if I make the cut let me know…

Lil February 27, 2007 at 8:20 pm

meanie. :) Good for you doing what’s right for Fetus. Lucky little kid.

Lil February 27, 2007 at 8:23 pm

btw, this is a totally brilliant ploy to get people to de-lurk.

Note that I’m not actually a lurker, I’ve only been reading for a day or two and just haven’t gotten around to commenting yet.

robyn February 27, 2007 at 8:51 pm

Ummmm, can I have access?

Lisa February 27, 2007 at 10:13 pm

I’m not a lurker. Pretty please, share with me? :)

Donna February 27, 2007 at 11:07 pm

Oh man, sorry for bringing this up again the other day, you know I was just joshing around, right? I mean, obviously, I’m going to meet the little fetus in person, and that’s gonna rock way more than a non-face shot for the rest of you’s.

jadedju February 27, 2007 at 11:24 pm

I demand to see pictures of that baby!!

Helen February 28, 2007 at 1:03 am

If I don’t get tons of access to Fetus’ pics there will be a screaming heard all the way from England. AND I’ll cut you off from English candies.

PS-I can vouch for Beach Girl!

SSFB February 28, 2007 at 4:47 am

I think you’re probably smarter than a lot of people out there for doing that. Even though that means we’re all going to be checking repeatedly now to see if we’ve made the cut. I hope I’m not too sketchy. PS, That flickr stuff is totally creepy! I had heard nothing about it so thanks for passing that along!

geeky February 28, 2007 at 6:37 am

big fat meanie! it’s ok, if you don’t let me see photos of fetus, i’ll just photoshop pictures of you and the meester together (a la Conan OBrien) and make my own fetus pictures :)

Meredith February 28, 2007 at 6:46 am

I’ve been thinking about the same stuff…privacy and photos and such. It’s hard work being a parent. Anyway, add me to the list of people who are eagerly awaiting Fetus’ debut! (But what are you going to call him/her after that? The baby formerly known as Fetus?)

Danya February 28, 2007 at 7:06 am

Not a mean at all! Completely your right! Just because you blog doesn’t mean your life should be an open book.

Ice Queen February 28, 2007 at 7:15 am

I’ve commented before, and I’d like to see a pic of Fetus. However, if you’re not cool with that, it’s ok. You’re the Mommy, after all. I’ll be content with the stories. Thanks for keeping those coming.

Lenni February 28, 2007 at 8:10 am

I couldn’t agree with you more on this policy. I have a lot of friends who hae recently had babies, and I think they’re a bit crazy to put so many pics freely on the internet. good for you!

Tanya February 28, 2007 at 8:12 am

Definitely the safest decision. It always makes me nervous when baby pictures are posted online. But we get to see the feet, right? You know, in the end, life is all about baby toes.

Steff February 28, 2007 at 8:32 am

Not that you need me to tell you, but you have made a good decision.

moi February 28, 2007 at 9:26 am

I can completely understand your thoughts on this subject. I have a separate baby blog for le bebe (that is only given to family and friends), and when he’s born I have a feeling I’ll end up posting photos etc. there, and keep honeyhigh more neutral.

because like you said, people do funky things with photos they find on the internet, and I’d never want to endanger my child like that…

PaintingChef February 28, 2007 at 10:09 am

I completely understand and I don’t blame you one bit. Its a tough decision.

Lut C. February 28, 2007 at 11:52 am

Fine then, but please give the kid a better nickname than ‘Fetus’ once it arrives.

jesser February 28, 2007 at 11:53 am

I confess to being a bit disappointed, but I completely understand. I still don’t know which way I’ll be going on this matter … big decision.

Denise February 28, 2007 at 12:52 pm

I’m a lurker, too, and I am not sure if I have commented before or not??? I know that I’ve followed your blog for a while though. Does that count? I totaly understand about not putting pics out there though….

Jen February 28, 2007 at 12:53 pm

I don’t know if I am considered creepy or not. I would hope that answer is no. Heh. ;o)

Good luck with the big day! I am so very happy for you two!!

ewe_are_here February 28, 2007 at 1:52 pm

The posting of pictures is a decision everyone has to make for themselves and their wee ones.

Even if I don’t get to ‘see’ him, I’m looking forward to hearing about Fetus’s safe arrival…. probably because I’ll find it funny if we deliver on the same day ;-)

SarahD February 28, 2007 at 2:12 pm

That sounds reasonable. Loved that picture of the cherry blossoms, btw.

coloratura February 28, 2007 at 6:07 pm

I’m with you sistah… too many freaks out there… maybe post a cute little foot or hand? That’s the most I’d do…

Now go and have that baby, dammit! Run around the block or something, sheesh!

Lisa March 1, 2007 at 12:06 am

Not a lurker, exactly, unless you count the fact that I hardly post anywhere anymore. But I’ve been a long-time cheerleader, does that count? I’m anxious for you to meet your new baby gir… er… bo… uh, Fetus. :-D I’m so excited for this new stage in yours and The Meester’s life to begin! (but not half as ready as you are, I’m sure.) ;) Hang in there – not long now! :)

Teresa March 1, 2007 at 7:17 am

Well listen to you, already sounding like a responsible parent. Will wonders never cease?

Actually, you are damn smart. Way to many sickos out there. It is a sad state of the world, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And I for one can’t wait to hear the Fetus stories. I am going to loves me some Fetus stories.

cee March 1, 2007 at 12:30 pm

Not a meanie at all, you’re the mommy after all! Yup, anxiously awaiting that “slap on the ass, welcome to the world” as you so comically put it! Best to you and the meester in the final push here!

Kaiasmom March 1, 2007 at 1:31 pm

I’m a lurker *waves timidly*
I’m not sure how I found you through another blog a few months back, I’m really shy so I don’t comment much anywhere. I realize I probably won’t see the pics, I just wanted to say I really respect you for that. I used to keep a blog of my own if you want to check it out, but it’s coming down in a day or two (for the very same reasons you listed here). I just figured this was a good time to de-lurk. :) Congrats and good luck with your Fetus.