I’m also evil, also into cats*

by statia on January 18, 2007

Ok dudes, I don’t know if you know this, but we’re having a baby. Let the shock wear off.

One of the major issues with bringing home this baby is our little Chihuahua, Miss M. Both of our dogs are going to be feeling displaced when Fetus comes home. This is just normal. But Miss M. being a Chih, has a little bit of a disadvantage, because her breed is just timid and comes with a lot of anxiety. Over all, despite our issues in the beginning with the heart shaped pee stains and the pooping behind the sofa, she really is a good dog. She listens (99% of the time anyway, which isn’t perfection, but we can live with it), knows her commands, and shows us nothing but love and affection. Our major area with her is that she HATES people. And even more so? she hates kids with the burning fiery passion. This doesn’t bode well for Fetus. I know that she’ll probably adjust to “her own baby”, but I would rather be concerned than just not give a shit.

So we called this company, Bark Busters. You can do a Google search. I block Google here, but I’m not linking it, although, after trying to find anything other than rave reviews on this “company” maybe having this entry Google indexed might not be a bad idea. The person came out and did a two hour consult/training session to help us, help Mia. Suffice to say that after two hours, I was about ready to punch this guy in the face to get him out of my house. And that was before I got really angry about the whole visit. The whole thing was overwhelming. Especially since according to him, both of our dogs had issues (anyone out there who has met our lab will tell you he’s the most easy going dog on the planet. For reals, yo) and us petting and loving them and giving them mountains of toys was “coveting them” and therefore, not showing leadership abilities and ultimately, they thought they ran the household. The whole thing smacked of psychological warfare over my dogs and quite frankly, this just did not mesh with us at all. Actually, I was the one who was good and pissed after he left and more stressed out. Essentially I felt as if we were supposed to break them of their spirit, leaving them as empty shells of the dogs they formerly were.

If you thought the whole “big baby superstore” incident was good, let’s just say that this is “big baby superstore” incident part deux, the return of the “marital spat.” Only this time we came out of it with only minor flesh wounds.

This method of training, via Google, looks as if it has worked for far more people than it hasn’t. My intuition was just going off like the big red button at the nuclear power plant. If you’ve used them and your dog is the most perfect dog in the world, great, wheeeee, you get a gold star. We don’t want perfect dogs, we want our dogs, just as they are, with a little help for Miss M. so that her overall quality of life is better.

I feel like we were totally Amway’d.

*this ain’t a scene, it’s an arm’s race.

The Meeeester January 18, 2007 at 1:33 pm

This ain’t a city it’s a goddamned fart face. But I’m still wearing pants. I’m still wearing pants.

Brandi January 18, 2007 at 1:59 pm

I have read that their are many ways to acclimate your animals to your baby’s impending arrival. Carrying a doll, using lotions, etc. that will be used on the baby, letting them be a big part of the baby’s homecoming, etc. helps. The worst thing you can do is lock them up and keep them away from the baby (not that you would, but you know…). They will be fine. Miss M will come around and G-man is already so chill he’s going to be great.

Little do you know, this isn’t YOUR baby, it’s THEIRS!! :)

wendy January 18, 2007 at 2:16 pm

i’m so not down with that stuff either. i started reading about that a few months ago and just got to the point where i was HELL NO, nobody’s changing my awesome puppy that much just so he’s perfect 100% of the time. so what if he’s allowed on all the furniture in the world; don’t all dogs need to sleep on beds with 400 thread count sheets?

Merrin January 18, 2007 at 2:25 pm

I feel your pain. My dog HATES children, so we’re pretty screwed. I did read that you should send someone home ahead of you with a blanket that the baby was wrapped in….that way, the pups already know the scent of the actual little human.

skits January 18, 2007 at 2:35 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I read meester’s comment and now I have to go back and read this damn thing AGAIN because I forget what we’re talking about.

Also? I WAS TOTALLY SLEEPING. hahahahaha!

Pamela January 18, 2007 at 3:07 pm

When new baby comes home, new Mommy will be resting up,
leaving Meester to take care of bi’ness.

Later , when you’re feeling more fit,
you will be the main one taking care of baby , right?

So, when the dow-gies start feeling displaced, guess who gonna be knee deep in it?

Ya gotta do (heh) what ya gotta do.

My 2 cents

Camille January 18, 2007 at 3:23 pm

I know cats and dogs are different. BUT, our cat always hated people, especially children, so I was super worried about bringing home G to her. However, she totally surprised us and didn’t even sniff him. Not once. She has been great with him the last almost3years. I guess what I’m trying to say is…maybe they’ll surprise you.

isabel January 18, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Look, you know your dogs better than anybody. Stay strong, sister!

My chihuahua mix hates kids too, but now that he lives with kids he’s found a new rhythm. Your dogs will adjust.

Donna January 18, 2007 at 6:27 pm

I agree, they will adjust along with you. I’m sure a professional dog person wouldn’t agree with the way our dogs are treated either, but hey, they’re my fucking dogs.

Helen January 19, 2007 at 4:05 am

He had comments about G-Man? Seriously.

Give me his phone number.

Because Mia, well, yeah-she belongs to you two. She’s private, she’s her own posse. But G-Man is one of the coolest, easiest, sweetest dogs in the world. G-Man needs no change. Changing the G would be bad.

The trainer needs to suck it.

Kenna B January 19, 2007 at 6:22 am

Looks like the Bark Busters use NILIF training. Don’t waste your money with them, you can train your own dog by learning online. Just acclimate your Chi to baby items and smells, bring home a blanket with the baby’s smell when the time comes. Let her be a part of the “party”. She’ll be fine.

Jenny January 19, 2007 at 6:52 am

It’s a good thing Mia’s small. I think your right, she’ll get used to her own baby. The baby will smell like you, who she loves, so that’s a big plus.

Lenni January 19, 2007 at 7:19 am

I just think its great you are thinking about it. I’m sure there are a lot of people out there who don’t even consider that it will be an adjustment for their dogs as well.

jesser January 19, 2007 at 7:41 am

Yea, there are some people out there who really need to take a chill pill on the whole pet front, on both sides of the spectrum, I might add. I don’t have any experience with chihauhuas (including how to spell that), but I’m sure she’ll be fine after a while as long as she continues to get some loves. I’ve read some *crazy* stuff about how to prep your dog for baby’s arrival and most of it sounds like absolute BS to me, so we’re going to do our own thing and I think Loki will be just fine.

Chris January 19, 2007 at 9:55 am

Can I interest you in a super-absorbant mop?

(It’s Friday…I’m tired…I never claim to make sense on Fridays.)

Faith January 19, 2007 at 1:00 pm

I watched a few episodes of The Dog Whisperer after we first brought our Izzy into the home, and while I apply a few of those sorts of techniques (the whole being calmly dominant, being the leader of the pack, etc…), I still like the personality she has and am happy to see her throw it around now and then.

But her random barking for no reason still drives me to madness and I don’t know how to stop it. Ear-piercingly loud, it is!

I think the previous posters have all had some awesome ideas about how to help Miss M acclimate once the Fetus officially pops into the world. You got good readers, sista.

Ari January 19, 2007 at 6:34 pm

I feel your pain, neither of our dogs are prepared and neither are we and for us its less then 10 days away. So just remember cool calm and collective and it will all work out, somehow the dogs never killed you so they won’t do damage to your beautiful child.

geeky January 19, 2007 at 8:15 pm

At least your dog isn’t scared of cloudy skies.

Bonnie January 20, 2007 at 10:18 am

This broadcast is coming at you from a dog-run household. (I even have a detailed schedule of when they can be home alone or when they need to go to their babysitter’s house … and yes, I have a dogsitter.)

With the first dog, I did puppy school and obedience classes. Things are fine and dandy with Dog#1 even though she still has an attitude.

I struck it lucky when I acquired my rescued cocker spaniel … a dog severely scared and on the verge of death. The vet’s assistant when I took her in for her first visit happened to be a behavior specialist. (I didn’t tell the vet the dog I had for two days was a rescue until I got there … that’s how I know I got lucky because the VAs are assigned before appointments.) Dog#2 has had tons of issues and we’ve jumped a lot of hurdles. There were times when I didn’t know if I was doing things right. The VA told me: “your house, your rules, your training … with patience they will learn”.

I almost had to pass out because I am not great with having patience.

I’ve stuck to those words and we have came a long way. And, now, I have to brag that my vet’s four-doctor practice is featuring my rescue as the pet of the month due to the strides that’s she has made. I said it’s because of what I was told … “your house, your rules, your training … with patience they will learn”.

Bonnie January 20, 2007 at 10:28 am

Oh … I forgot to mention that my dogs’ babysitter has two young children and the dogs are there 3 days per week for my entire workday. We make sure that the kids know that the dogs need to play by “The Rules For The Dogs” and that the dogs will get a “time-out” if they won’t listen to the kids. (The kids are 2 & 5.)

robyn January 20, 2007 at 9:20 pm

Todd brought one of N’s caps home from the hospital the night he was born and she carried it around for days. This is when she met him for the first time. She sniffed him – jumped down – grabbed one of her toys – and hopped back up to give it to him. All our worries (she’d been the “only dog” for almost 8 years) vanished that instant. As Camille said, they can certainly surprise you. Hang in there!

Chris Vicious January 23, 2007 at 6:54 am

I’ll train her for 1/2 the price! >:)