Next stop: Parenthood

by statia on December 8, 2006

In a few days, I will enter the third trimester. I can’t even begin to comprehend this in my head. Me. The third trimester. This whole pregnancy has been sort of like one giant delusion of grandeur. Me? Pregnant? Nah. Not possible. Nope, we’re not having a baby. Not us. I never expected my body to cooperate thus far Even when the baby stuff started to trickle in, I couldn’t fathom bringing home a baby. Sometimes, I still can’t. And I guess a large part of this is due to the infertility fallout.

But now, with less than 100 days and Fetus being a very real probability in our lives, operation freak the hell out is going into overdrive. WHAT? WE’RE HAVING A BABY? NONONONONONOOOOOO. I’m not ready to be a mother. I’m not prepared. And even though, I feel like I’ve been spending this time I should be “studying” fucking off and partying at frat houses, that no amount of reading or taking classes is going to prepare me for this reality. And that’s the scary part.

Yet, now there’s this part of me where the idea is growing on me, and I can’t wait. I’m anxious to meet the kid that kicks me constantly and uses my colon as a tightrope. I’m ready to have my body back. I’m ready to take on the sleepless nights if it means I can “sleep” on my stomach again. I’m going through all the shit that every other mother- to-be before me has gone through. It’s not special, it’s not new, it just is. And quite frankly, it’s just weird.

In 95 days, we are so fucked.

Kathy December 8, 2006 at 2:04 pm

HAW!

Donna December 8, 2006 at 2:19 pm

No, you’re not fucked, you’re just going to start a new chapter, blah blah. What did people do before TV and the internet and books? They just figured it out, like you two will figure everything out, in your own weird way.

Solonor December 8, 2006 at 2:22 pm

I still remember taking home each of our kids and thinking that something was wrong…there’s no way they’re letting us walk out of this place with babies. What if we break ‘em? (We can’t return ‘em cuz they’ll have cat spit all over them!)

Merrin December 8, 2006 at 2:44 pm

I can’t believe how fast this has gone! Dude! You’re gonna be a MOMMY!

Lut C. December 8, 2006 at 4:19 pm

Third trimester? Already? It’s like yesterday that were waving that positive test.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very, very happy for you. Wishing you an uneventful third trimester.

robyn December 8, 2006 at 4:25 pm

If you can already get your Christmas presents to us (which arrived today – thank you!) this close to the third trimester, you’re going to do great at this mommy thing! I have no doubt. I told you that you’d be here one day. :-)

geeky December 8, 2006 at 4:34 pm

Didn’t you just find out you were pregnant, like, last week?

MsPrufrock December 9, 2006 at 3:09 am

Yeah…the whole “we’re fucked” thing doesn’t go away. Well, it hasn’t for me even since P.’s arrival. Though admittedly may have changed to, “She’s fucked” since she has these two clueless idiots as parents.

Camille December 9, 2006 at 5:14 am

awesome! i can remember freaking out the closer it came to the end of my pregnancy. and i especially remember when the nurse at the hospital said, “you’re about to have this baby!” That was the scariest time for me. But its all good and you find your way.

mel December 9, 2006 at 11:53 am

dude, you are gonna have a baby?

Jenaside December 10, 2006 at 8:38 am

Aw, you have had the moment of realization. It’s a damn scary moment. Yet exhilarating. :D

skits December 10, 2006 at 7:02 pm

Dude. HALFWAY through my labor? I TOTALLY CHANGED MY MIND. Seriously. I did my damnest to tell the nurses that I was in NO WAY ready to bring another human into the world and that perhaps he needed to incubate a wee bit longer. hee.

Last minute panic. Good times. Goood times.

Helen December 11, 2006 at 8:39 am

I think your fear and panic are a good sign-if all mothers were blase and thought: “Eh. New baby. What’s the biggie?” I’d be worried. That you are scared, to me (and I’ll ask my therapist tomorrow) is a sign that you want to do this right.

I’m just saying.

jesser December 11, 2006 at 9:09 am

Welcome to the under 100 club. It’s umm… surreal to say the least. I still can only catch glimpses of the fact that the hubby and I are going to be parents in um… lessee … 81 days. Yikes. Maybe when we decorate the nursery …

Steff December 11, 2006 at 11:12 am

Please allow me to make one correction. It is VERY special, because this is happening to you and fetus. No other two will ever experience the connection you have, literally. :-)

Audrey December 11, 2006 at 4:12 pm

We just entered our third trimester and I said to my husband “Didn’t we just get pregnant yesterday? Does this mean we’re going to have our baby in our arms practically tomorrow?” Our pregnancy has flown by and I can’t believe that we’re down to the three-month mark. I’ve loved reading your blog, as we’re so close together. I’ll look forward to reading post-pregnancy, too!

Chris December 12, 2006 at 5:23 am

Know what? No one is prepared. Seriously. No one can tell you what having a kid is like and you can’t understand it until you actually have one. You will be 100% fine. You have a sense of humor and that’s really what it takes.