I prefer jelly.

by statia on December 18, 2006

It’s not just chicks that make the Food Network so damn watchable. One of my other favorite shows on the Food Network is Ham on the Streets, with George Duran. He’s cute and quirky and again, anyone who can cook really just wins a place in my heart as dreamy. Which is one of the reasons why I love the meester so much.

One of the episodes had George telling people that you can mix any type of jelly and any type of cheese to make a grilled cheese sandwich and it’d be good. Now most of you are probably puking up shards of your spleen in your cube garbage right now, but really, this just made sense to me. Any cheese snob will tell you, fruit + cheese = heaven. I’ve always loved me some fruit and cheese so I thought this was brilliant. Most people scoffed at me. My current favorite is havarti and this cherry jam that I get at Whole foods. I am so addicted to this sandwich that I’m convinced that my kid is going to come out of the womb with all of the supplies on hand to make grilled cheese and jelly. It’s so damn good that I have created a convert.

So thank you, George Duran, for making this pregnant woman extremely happy.

M@ December 18, 2006 at 11:12 am

That’s the only episode of that I’ve seen, and I was surprised how many people liked the sandwich they got. I like cheese, but I’m not really a fan of anything other than grape jelly.

Lori December 18, 2006 at 11:40 am

I grew up eating grape jelly spread on top of my grilled cheese sandwich. I haven’t done it in years but maybe it’s time to revisit that old fave.

Lenni December 18, 2006 at 11:43 am

One of my favorite appetizer recipes is brie with raspberry jam baked in puff pastry. I could eat that whole wheel of brie in a sitting its SO GOOD. Plus, I always loved cheese in my peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. I can totally see how jelly and cheese go together.

Tuesday December 18, 2006 at 12:02 pm

That sandwich sounds sooo good. I am off to whole foods.

Merrin December 18, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Yay for fruit and cheese! Have you seen George do “Name That Meat”? Priceless.

Tanya December 18, 2006 at 12:20 pm

I’ve never understood the jelly on grilled cheese thing. But a friend of ours brought cream cheese and jalapeno jelly with crackers to party once. It sounds hideous, but it was so good!

skits December 18, 2006 at 2:51 pm

*is converted*

donna December 18, 2006 at 4:08 pm

That does sound good. So do you make it just like a regular grilled cheese? Just put jelly on one side, cheese on the other?

Alison December 18, 2006 at 4:21 pm

Dude, I er. Damn!have such a crush on George Duran, and he totally made an appearance in my bizarre Nyquil induced dream last night. Unfortunately, the dream was of the non-sexual variety. We just went to McDonalds togeth

Alison December 18, 2006 at 4:22 pm

Wow, that comment got messed up. It think its because I have this annoying habit of hilighting and clicking at random. Don’t ask. It was SUPPOSED to go like this (ha!):

Dude, I have such a crush on George Duran, and he totally made an appearance in my bizarre Nyquil induced dream last night. Unfortunately, the dream was of the non-sexual variety. We just went to McDonalds together. Damn!

Pamela December 18, 2006 at 4:45 pm

Cream cheese and raspberry preserves on a toasted onion bagel…

;^)

Jenny December 19, 2006 at 5:48 am

I’m a little slow here. Where do you put the jelly – inside and then grill it or just dip the sandwich in jelly? Either way, it sounds damn good.

geeky December 19, 2006 at 7:03 am

dude, i never thought of that, but you’re so right! now i want a brie and raspberry jelly sammich. mmmmm.

Lisa December 19, 2006 at 7:42 am

I used to eat grape jelly and cheese sandwiches all the time when I was a kid. Never occurred to me to grill ‘em! Gaw, havarti and cherry jam sounds heavenly!

Pete December 20, 2006 at 1:18 pm

You say it’s jelly, but, I know only jam shakes like that…

…bitch!