All dogs go to heaven.

by statia on December 27, 2006

The meester received a book from a coworker for Christmas, entitled Marley and Me. I actually had seen the book in passing and wanted to read it, so I was thrilled to receive a copy, even knowing full well, how it ended.

My German, she is the village bicycle.

It’s a very quick read, and extremely funny. A goofy lovable lab, who you’d like to think is dumb, but is really just a free spirit. He’s pretty much your typical lab. And on most levels, I got it, even though I have a generally calm version of the breed, we have had our moments, the G-man and I. Destroyed windowsills, eaten door frames, countless pails of garbage overturned. Last night, I’m finishing up the book, again, knowing full well how it ends and knowing full well that I am 7 months pregnant, extremely hormonal, with no German life vest to hold onto. My poor husband had no idea what hit him when he looked up to see me in hysterics.

The thing about a book like this is that it delivers a good swift kick to your brain that your dogs lives are infinitely shorter than yours. Of course this is obvious, but how many of you stick your head in the sand in regards to your beloved family pets? I looked over at G-man, who was very confused as to why I’m crying (“you feed me now?”). My beloved boy turns 8 in a couple of months, which is still young, but his age is starting to show. His muzzle in the last year has gotten much more peppery, he sleeps a little more, and i’ve noticed his legs giving out on him when he runs on occasion. He’s been with me through so much. He is my first dog, and in my book, the best dog. I couldn’t imagine life without him. And I hope that he’s around long enough to see Fetus at least through kindergarten, if not longer.

I wish that I could extend his youth longer. I wish I could make him live forever, but since I can’t, I will not take advantage of the time that I have with him. You shouldn’t take advantage of your time either.

mel December 27, 2006 at 10:12 am

We were just talking about this on Christmas and I will admit that it was something I DID NOT want to talk about, let alone even THINK about. Their lives are so much shorter and I find it way too unfair :(

erika December 27, 2006 at 11:03 am

Ugh. Just wait. Those feelings will be magnified a kazillion bajillion times for the baby, coupled with this almost painful, primal desire to do whatever it takes to make sure your child will never feel an ounce of pain. I know everyone says it, but wait til you feel it. I’ve spent too many nights crying about wanting to keep him small and mine forever.

Amy December 27, 2006 at 12:22 pm

Isn’t that the best book ever? We almost had our own Marley, but that ended in a traumatic heartbreak (wrote about it on my blog) … and now we have the sweetest 8 week old Chocolate Lab ever. She’s only 8 weeks and I’m already sad about how fast she’ll grow up and get old. I totally know what you mean.

Wendy December 27, 2006 at 2:38 pm

I think the first dog must always be the best dog. At least that’s my opinion.

Ms. Pants December 27, 2006 at 5:37 pm

dude!! I have no inner German and you write this?! I’m about to have a seizure from the sobbing!!

I’m sending you the next month of PB bills.

And a case of Jenny Craig.

geeky December 27, 2006 at 8:31 pm

I loved Marley and Me! Made me feel like our family dog isn’t the only crazy lab out there.

robyn December 27, 2006 at 8:35 pm

This was our first Christmas without Claire in our entire decade-plus of marriage. I won’t even go into how hard it was.

Minawolf December 28, 2006 at 5:46 am

That’s how we feel about our kitty cat. She’s the most loving thing and the idea of her not being around to demand hugs and kisses makes my heart hurt.

jesser December 28, 2006 at 6:47 am

OMG. That fracking book! I loved it!! The first time I read it I wouldn’t read the last two chapters, cuz I KNEW what was coming. So when do I decide to re-read it and finish it? That would be first trimester. Of course I came downstairs sobbing. I also have a lot of the German and hardly ever cry, so my husband flipped out assuming the worst … I don’t know if he was relieved or not when I went to give the dog a cuddle and tell him how much I love him.

Rob December 28, 2006 at 8:11 am

It is the same feeling with our cat Harry. He’s been with us since we’ve been married and is starting to really show his age (arthritis in his hips and more than a little drool). I can’t imagine how not having him on our laps while we are trying to watch TV is going to feel.

just another jenny December 28, 2006 at 2:28 pm

I almost bought that book today, not knowing how it ended so I think I am glad I left it in the store for now. When I think of losing my sweet boy someday, “straightjacket” is the word that comes to mind.

ellessu December 28, 2006 at 3:55 pm

Gawd, just make me cry why don’t you? That is one of the reasons why I have resisted buying that book. Maybe one day…

coloratura December 29, 2006 at 8:03 pm

I am embarassed to admit that I ponder morbidly about the passing of my beloved Googoo probably more than I should. I am acutely aware that one day I will say goodbye to him before he says goodbye to me. Assuming all goes according to plan.

I’m not reading the book, I’ll take your word for it.

I am going to hunt down my Googoo now and hold him and squeeze him and pet him and squeeze him and hug him and…

Dell December 29, 2006 at 8:43 pm

I wouldn’t read the last couple of chapters because I knew it would upset me!

cinders December 31, 2006 at 10:31 pm

I just teared up reading this post as I was thinking about my St. Bernard, who is only 2, but I hear they typically only live 8-10 years, given that large breed’s bones give out on them much sooner.

*sniffle*