Boring equals good

by statia on October 29, 2006

There are times when I think that our lives are so incredibly boring that it makes me want to go insane. I’m a goer, a doer. I need to be up and about at almost all times. Meester is a homebody. You see where this causes a little friction.

Then there are times like this weekend, where I’m glad to be boring. Glad that the excitement in my weekend is our fat tail getting out yet AGAIN and is still nowhere to be found. Not exciting news. Shitty, yes, but not stop the presses blog world and help me look for my lizard.

Heh.

Or there’s the excitement of the boring flashlight tour of the Winchester Mystery House, which is essentially the same damn tour as the day tour, except it’s at night, with a lot more loud obnoxious tweens. All that made me want to do is let someone borrow my kid when shehe is a tween. And also possibly a teen.

No, I’m glad to be completely boring when there’s more internet drama going on. Because really, I just don’t want any part of that. I don’t even know where to begin.

In one sentence: A site out there making fun of other “popular” bloggers targeted said bloggers kids with photoshopped pictures. Or something like that.

You know, I’ve been doing this whole blogging thing for nearly five years. It’s a long fucking time. And all I have to say is, it never changes. People act like something like this is big news. Like it’s new and shocking and while it affects the parties involved and it sucks, it’s not new. There’s always been drama and in fact the same drama over and over again. Because people don’t really learn from it. Someone will ultimately get fired from their job, have their design stolen, have their images stolen, or have their images photoshopped.

The thing is, it’s so damn easy to avoid (some of it anyway)

I left a comment on one of the sites involved. I like her, I think she’s a nice person and funny, and seeing pictures of her kid is cool, but it’s also always made me cringe. Because if there is one thing that I wonder about and worry about is, “how can people just publish pictures of their kid publicly and not worry that there’s some sick fuck out there waiting to prey on people who do this?” The internet doesn’t change, people, except for the fact that it’s just a bigger monster, with more and more sick people. I know people want to be trusting and all shiny happy people, but the fact is, as long as it exists, the monster can’t be stopped. But yet, bloggers are all narcissistic, including myself. We all like the attention. Some more than others. The “more than others” then get all upset when the monster comes charging their way, and makes them feel like they were stripped naked in the middle of time square and then are surprised when they didn’t see it coming. I get that we want to be trusting. I get it. We want to think that our readers have our best interests at heart. But the more “popular” (and I use popular in quotes, because really, I think that people like to put more importance on themselves, but come ON. It’s the internet, not Thursday night prime time) you are, the more you have underlying hateful readers that only want to see your demise. I consider myself maybe a middle of the road blogger. I have a decent reader base, but not so much that I have hoards of people just watching my site like a trainwreck.

Or you know, maybe I do. I don’t know. I don’t pay attention to it because 1. I don’t care, and 2. I’d like to think that already take a lot of those precautions. Sure, Meester is a dork name for my husband, but he likes the privacy and I completely respect that. I post pictures of us, on flickr, but I’m pretty cautious of what I do post picture wise. You will never see a belly shot of me (it looks like cheesegut anyway). You will never see any pictures of our child.

I really don’t know where the hell I’m going with all of this. It’s just an incoherent babble that is brought to you by daylight savings time and the fact that I got up earlier than I would have liked. I can’t even find a way to finish this in a clean way. All I know is that boring is the way to go.

I think my brain just threw up.

Erin October 29, 2006 at 10:20 am

I think you’re right, and you put it better than I could. I’m a very small potatoes blogger, and it’s a little cringe-worthy to me to see TONS of pictures of babies/kids, whatever, plastered all over the internet for the world to see. For what? I post my fair share on flickr, yeah, but the pictures of my kid are private.

And belly shots are just creepy. Mine included.

Amy October 29, 2006 at 10:36 am

I’m out of the whole “popular blogger” loop, so I haven’t seen the latest drama. However, I really couldn’t care less if there are people out there with nothing better to do than distorting pictures of me and my family. I mean – what does it harm? Maybe I’m naive, but it seems silly to get worked up over it. It also makes me sad to think we won’t see pictures of your baby. :-(

Michele October 29, 2006 at 12:24 pm

My husband is a homebody, I definitely relate with the ‘friction’.
I love your blog, whether it’s boring or not, (I think not). I am fairly new to the blog world and may be naive (okay, obviously I am). I started blogging simply for the fact that my friends and family can keep in touch with our life. So I have pictures all the time. I realize that I am overly trusting, always have been. Hopefully that won’t make my family too vulnerable.

Kevin Donahue October 29, 2006 at 12:53 pm

Yep, same shit – different month. Never ceases to amaze me. :)

mel October 29, 2006 at 3:53 pm

I signed up for “boring” a long time ago and I’m glad I did.

Julie October 29, 2006 at 4:54 pm

I haven’t seen this latest drama either and I’m really, I mean REALLY glad that I am not in the loop of the “popular bloggers community.” Good point about pictures though. I tend to let my guard down, thanks for the subtle reminder!

Kathy October 29, 2006 at 5:32 pm

Muh?

Helen October 30, 2006 at 1:21 am

I have no idea if I’m popular or not. Don’t really mind, either-I write for me. But like you, I could never, ever publish photos of my kid (if I ever had one). Friends and family can see them, just like friends and family see my stepkids, details of my house, and, oh, my real name. Someone made the comment that some of the popular bloggers do make a living, in one way, off their kids. I do kind of agree with that-some of the big ones seem to post daily photos, and while it’s NEVER OK to have a go at children, the world is full of strange and sick people-surely if you post masses of pics of your kid, you can expect someone with no sense of humor to mis-use them.

I would, anyway, but then I’m a pessimistic bitch like that.

By the way, I have some tots to go with that cheesegut.

donna October 30, 2006 at 5:31 am

Interesting that you bring this up now, because I was just thinking about it this weekend. I’ve been so very open so far in my pregnancy, but the thought of posting pictures of the baby when she/he arrives scares the crap out of me. I know others who do and seem to have no trouble but I just don’t know. Maybe if I had taken the time and effort to be more anonymous, but I haven’t been, and I think I may have just made up my mind not to post except to Flickr so I can restrict access.

girl October 30, 2006 at 7:12 am

I am so far out of the blogging loop, man. I hardly ever even post anymore. and when I did, I was never, ever a popular blogger. I prefer it that way. I don’t like feeling pressured to bring the funny and interesting for an audience.

as for not wanting to post pictures of fetus when it’s born, I don’t blame you a damn bit. at least Flickr gives you the option of sharing with a small amount of people, though.

Tanya October 30, 2006 at 7:44 am

Yeah, I’m with you. I like seeing pictures of people’s kids, but seeing them on the web makes me woozy (especially from bloggers who admit to getting a whole lot of hatemail).

jen October 30, 2006 at 8:18 am

I am one of those ‘nobodies’ in the blog world, so I really do not worry about much. I know creepy people exist out there. I have posted pics of my daughter on the internet. Does that somehow make me a bad person?

I fully intend to keep it to my private Flickr stream by the time she is about 6 months old.

I figure, I had all these people that read me and kept up with my whining throughout my pregnancy, the least I can do is let them see my kid.

Not to say that Statia should do the same, not at all. I TOTALLY respect her privacy AND her decision to keep the baby off of the internet. I guess I just felt the need to speak up, because I feel like a bad bad mother now for putting my kid on the internet.

*sigh*

Erin, you really think belly shots are creepy?? I can see how some people might not want them, but creepy? Why creepy? Just curious.. :O)

robyn October 30, 2006 at 10:49 am

Irv, we were never IN aisle seven!

DD October 30, 2006 at 1:58 pm

I use to regret that I hadn’t started blogging when my son was a baby b/c I thought I missed out on documenting and sharing all those special moments. But after this fiasco, which, you’re right, is just another in a long line, I’m glad that I’ve made the decision to not only keep things on the down-low, but that I no longer have that as regret – stupid though it may be.

Now I’m off to stalk your flickr…

erika October 31, 2006 at 6:23 am

Meh.

Some days I wonder about the pictures I share, but other days I like that he’s a comfort to other families with heart kids. (Knock on wood.) As for the haters? I delete, move on. Why give them the attention they want? I never got that – people and their little cliques who run around and attack on command. Whatever. I have more important things to do with my life.

I remember being kinda weird about possibly having some stranger on the internet come cut my belly open for the baby – before we found out about his heart. After that, I was very much – what kind of idiot would do that knowing he needs open-heart surgery to survive? I guess maybe I have that in the back of my head – you’d need to be REALLY sick to do something to a heart kid.

Holy ramble. Not sure what I meant to say when I started. Oh well. For now, I’ll likely keep putting pictures of Sammy up.

Lut C. October 31, 2006 at 1:01 pm