Sense of humor in marketing

by statia on September 20, 2006

Settling into a “normal” pregnancy is kind of weird for me. I feel as if I should be more proactive. But, I’m grateful that things are going so smoothly. We had our monthly appointment today and everything was fine, and I have to say, my doctor, is really not for everyone. She’s very dry, in a humor sort of way, which suits us just fine. She’s not a mollycoddler or a hand holder, which also suits us just fine. Point me to where I need to be, tell me when, and that works. If I have any questions, I know she’s there. Going through infertility, you realize exactly what your comfort level is in standard of care. When we started thinking about IVF, this was something she brought up with us and we just weren’t sure. After our horrific stint with Dr. Moustache, I will gladly take Doctors like Pompy and Dry any day of the week. Anyone else would feed into my neuroticism. We got to briefly hear fetus’s heartbeat but to repeat myself, this child is without a doubt ours, because once the heartbeat was immediately found, the kid was off and running to the other cozy side of my uterus where it wasn’t being mashed on. No cooperation there.

It’s also really nice when your top worry going into an appointment is hearing your doctor say “slow down on the ice cream fatty.” Which she didn’t, and I have to say I’m surprised because my life these days revolves around what my next snack/meal is going to be. Is 10:30am too early for lunch? It feels really weird to do a nearly complete 180° turn and not really spend all of my time constantly worrying if the kid is dead or not. Believe me, I still worry, just not every waking minute. I just hope I don’t wake up and realize it’s just a dream.

We got our free Enfamil diaper bag at our appointment with all of the free goodies, one of them being a free Intuition razor. Now, am I the only one that sees the irony in giving a PREGNANT WOMAN a razor? This is the second free razor I’ve gotten in the last month, which when shaving becomes something resembling wrestling a wet pig, I have to wonder what the hell goes on in these marketing meetings, because hello? Not funny. More like cruel. Razor companies are mocking me.

SarahD September 20, 2006 at 11:31 am

Someone should invent a collapsible Extend-O-Razor for pregnant women and hand that out instead. There’s your millions right there ;)

Merrin September 20, 2006 at 11:58 am

Um, did you actually use the word “mollycoddler”, or did the ghost of some really old lady take over for a minute? ;-)

donna September 20, 2006 at 12:00 pm

Dude, I got the Intuition razor too! I didn’t get a bag from Enfamil, but I did get a sample of literally every single kind of prenatal vitamin out there so I could tell the doctor which one I liked the best, and with it came the razor.

At this point, I can barely see my legs. Trying to shave them would be a risky venture.

robyn September 20, 2006 at 1:55 pm

The shaving thing makes me much more amused than it should and you know why. ;-p

Donna September 20, 2006 at 2:02 pm

Maybe pregnant women get more hairy? I don’t get the razor thing either. Although I can see how the extendo idea is a good one.

Shannon September 20, 2006 at 2:18 pm

In all seriousness, my sister in law used her free razor to shave her belly…odd…

girl September 21, 2006 at 6:00 am

perhaps that’s their way of hinting that they’d like your “stuff” to be manicured before everyone is down there oohing and aahing over it while fetus pops out.

linda September 21, 2006 at 9:24 am

Belly cream? Yes

Prenatals? Yes

Free Magazines? Yes

Razors? WTF???

Kathy September 21, 2006 at 9:56 am

Giving sharp objects to a pregnant woman is just plain dangerous. Especially if someone would come between said pregnant woman and her food craving of the moment.

Tonya September 22, 2006 at 1:00 am

Hey, I never got the razor! What gives? ;-)

Statia, I am absolutely THRILLED for your good news! Just catching up on the two+ months worth of posts tonight so now it’ll be easier to stay current. And yes, it’s absolutely fine to eat lunch at 10:30am. Just Do It!