It’s a park, why is there not a single garbage can?

by statia on September 30, 2006

I am a lover of cities. I love Manhattan and Philadelphia. Boston? Yes please. Given the opportunity, I’d live in any of these places, but the Meester, he’s not a fan of city living. He likes his personal space, but that’s another story for another time.

I hate and I mean HATE San Francisco. I get all giddy and excited for an adventure in the city, and everytime we go, I end up cranky and pissed off and for the love of god what the hell were they thinking when they put the roads in? It’s the worlds most un-navigatable city. I am always flipped around and upside down when I am there. We look forward to it everytime we decide to go do something up there and everytime we’re like “what the fuck were we thinking? We HATE THE CITY.”

After the week I’ve had at work and wanting to shoot my face off, we decided it would be a great idea to head to the city to hit up Golden Gate Park and the Conservatory. Now, I’ve never been to either and I’ve lived here for over two years. The only other good part besides spending some time the conservatory, was the Meester pissing in the park.

Next time I think it’s a good idea to go into the city, punch me in the head.

M@ September 30, 2006 at 10:06 pm

Wow it’s been two years already.

Tanya October 1, 2006 at 5:15 am

I love SF, but I’d rather cut off my fingers with a staple remover than drive there (same with NY and Boston). Do you just not do public transportation?

donna October 1, 2006 at 6:16 am

I love SF too, but have always had someone else drive my ass around when I’m there. If I had to drive there, I might not like it so well myself.

On and please add Washington DC to your list of the most un-navigatable cities in the world. I love DC with all my heart but my husband and I had the worst fight of our married life over driving there. It’s the Metro or taxi in DC or nothing!

Donna October 1, 2006 at 11:03 am

As luck would have it, I am driving to SF tonight to meet an online friend. I HATE driving in SF, all those fucking one way streets!

isabel October 1, 2006 at 1:58 pm

The Ferry Building has the best chocolate in the WORLD at Michel Rechiutti’s. I used to take Amtrak to Emeryville and then the Amtrak bus to the Ferry Building, but you can also park and ride and take BART to Embarcadero. If I weren’t in stinking the middle of nowhere Canada I’d go right now!

Kevin Donahue October 1, 2006 at 5:37 pm

SF on Wed. Public transit & taxis rock!

Rob October 1, 2006 at 8:26 pm

About all I can do is get from 101 down to the wharf… that’s it. If I happen to get in to those streets around the Fairmont then I am in for an endless series of U-turns, wrong ways down one-way streets, and asking the local corner rainbow warrior for directions back to some place that is a little more flat.

Some Girl October 2, 2006 at 7:49 am

So…does this mean that when you’re no longer pregnant and I have finally settled in the city (I’m moving to Sunnyvale in two weeks, so I should find a job and place to live SF in about three months) you’re not going to want to come drinking with me? Because I figured you were going to be the first blogger on the other side of America who I invited to drink with me until I peed pure alcohol.

girl October 2, 2006 at 1:23 pm

I am not a fan of the city. I do enjoy having a lot of things at my disposal, especially restaurants, but I hate the traffic, I hate the rude people, I hate that I’m too fucking freaked out to drive anywhere by myself… hte list goes on and on. I’d leave Houston in a heartbeat if the husband and I could both find good-paying jobs and affordable housing elsewhere.

linda October 4, 2006 at 11:08 am

Oh girl you just opened up the floodgates on one of my favorite rants.

I’ve lived up here for just over six years and I still do not understand the fascination with “the City”. For me it feels like walls of walls of dirty concrete, outdated ugly/expensive housing, little vegetation, no parking, lots of homeless people (many of whom piss on the sidewalks and then pull out their crackpipes and light up in front of you), expensive restaurants, rude people, trash and litter everywhere. Bleh!!!

My DH plays in a well known SF band so I see quite a bit of nightlife in SF. The bars all smell like mold, dingy bathrooms, and I am sorry, but SF music is totally lacking in every sense of the word (DH’s band, too. Sorry sweetheart!). Don’t people in SF dance? Every nightclub we go to, there’s a wall of chicks in front of the band that just sit there and toe tap and nod their heads. No one dances! The music is so bad that no one CAN or WILL dance to it.

Okay, pull me off of my soapbox. Please?

coloratura October 4, 2006 at 2:21 pm

Well, now that I’ve seen Manhattan… SF pales in comparison. To tell you the truth, I’ve lived here 16 years, 7 in SF. I was always underwhelmed by SF. I was always like ‘um, is that all there is?’

Manhattan? Manhattan is the quadruple orgasm of cities. It is mecca, far as I’m concerned. I know where I want my ashes spread now.