Formula costs HOW much?!?

by statia on September 3, 2006

The point at which we started to freak out started to happen over the weekend. Oh my god, we’re having a kid and this costs money and that costs money and what the FUCK were we thinking? Seriously. In talking with Brown Eyed Girl this week about how long the wait was for her, I was envious. She has all of this TIME (which right now is a relief, but I’m sure down the road she’ll be losing her mind). Not that I want to carry fetus for 12-18 months. No thanks, but by the time I was ready to accept this might happen, 3 months had already passed and that just leaves us with no time. It feels like it’s going slow right now, but I know it’s going to speed up because I don’t feel anywhere near ready yet.

Yeah, so anyway, I have a point here besides freaking out. There will be plenty more posts dedicated to the freak out.

We were looking for ways to sock a little extra money away. The meester is an arteest and decided to start selling some of his artwork. He’s also up for commissioning pieces as he hasn’t been painting at all lately and he’d like to start up again. You can see his work over at Etsy:

If you have any questions you can contact me at meATitssonotaboutyouDOTcom.

Merrin September 3, 2006 at 2:16 pm

You can help me freak out later.

MsPrufrock September 3, 2006 at 2:20 pm

I think they are most expensive during the preparation phase of all of this. Once they are born there is less to buy, assuming you bought most of what you needed beforehand. P. cost us a cool couple of grand before birth, and now the primary outgoings are for diapers, wipes, and formula. I know it all adds up, but it’s still not like she is regularly costing us a couple of thousand pounds. Things will get scary when childcare is an issue though. I might just stick her in a drawer for the day while we’re at work.

jen September 3, 2006 at 3:49 pm

The whole breastfeeding thing did not pan out for me, unfortunately.

The cost of formula makes me weep….

$26 for a can that barely lasts a week, and she is only eating 2 to 3 ounces at a time at this point. Imagine when she starts sucking down 6 to 8 ounces?

*cries*

Erin September 3, 2006 at 5:18 pm

The formula is ridiculously expensive. I keep telling myself, 7 more months…7 more months…

S. September 3, 2006 at 5:32 pm

Yes, but breastfeeding is free. :-) Too bad nothing else is….

Don’t worry, you’ll find a way to absorb the cost of parenthood.

geeky September 4, 2006 at 7:24 am

man, if i wasn’t poor i’d totally buy a painting from your arteest meester.

Z. Hendirez September 4, 2006 at 7:36 am

We’d have breastfed anyway if we could, but we literally couldn’t afford to formula feed our son. We got our first pump second-hand from a friend, and finally saved enough for a medical-grade pump when my wife went back to work.

Heck, baby food’s almost as bad.

Kathy September 4, 2006 at 8:35 am

Costco dude. Costco. But still…. ACK! I know the feeling. I weep everytime I leave Target with a cart full of baby food and diapers. I weep softly… but weep nonetheless.

Camille September 4, 2006 at 8:49 am

No kidding! I was so glad that I got to breastfeed for 4 months before I went back to work and had to start buying formula. That stuff is so expensive and when we moved I had to throw out a half can of Stage 2 which killed me. I wish I would’ve known someone who could’ve used it so it wouldn’t have been wasted like that. And diapers are expensive too. I’m glad we’re out of those!

Like Kathy said…COSTCO baby!

linda September 4, 2006 at 11:00 am

I hope that you are able to breastfeed successfully so that you don’t have to opt for formula…but I say that realizing that for many women, their bodies just don’t cooperate.

As for other expenses, remember that babies grow really fast and you don’t need a buttload of clothes and outfits. They’ll grow before you can get decent wear out of many of them.

I think that in America we tend to overdo it with “things for baby” and then we think that this level of consumerism is “normal”. My friend JM bought all of her sons’ things on CraigsList (beds, cribs, clothes, some toys, etc) and she saved a BUNDLE.

robyn September 5, 2006 at 6:06 am

And then you think “oh they’re a year old – we’re finally off that $26 can of formula he goes through two of a week”. Only you get the kid who’s lactose intolerant and that $26 can is $29 for you, twice a week. And the pediatrician says “since he’s doing so well right now let’s keep him on it ’til 15 months and then we’ll re-evaluate”. Always a financial party…oh yeah!

missy September 6, 2006 at 9:00 am

Dude. Do your homework. Believe me on this. Once you find one that works (because as others said, this is the real bitch) compare the lables. Get the generic. They’ve got the same nutritional content. Buy in bulk. Also, while the powder comes in bigger cans, check how much it makes. You can usually get the equivalent amount in pre-mixed (liquid) form for about a buck or two more. And that will matter at 3am when you are trying to measure water and powder while fetus is screaming….. And good luck with finding bottles the baby actually LIKES. we went through each brand at least once.

Kevin Donahue September 7, 2006 at 8:29 am

Maybe if I ever half kids I’ll just mush up some Vienna Sausages and have ‘em chase it with Gatorade. :)