Become a single parent by visiting one easy store!

by statia on September 11, 2006

On Friday we decided to go to the “Big Baby Superstore” and register. Not because all of a sudden I went from denying that I was pregnant to becoming gungho completely overnight. No, it was because for the love of god, people would not stop asking us (coughGIRLcough) if we had registered yet. Hey, who am I to argue if people want to buy us stuff early? We never registered for our wedding, so let the fetus get all of the “stuff”.

If I can only offer up one bit of advice for you women in waiting when it comes to registering. GO ALONE. Or find a really good girlfriend and make her go with you. Preferably one that has a kid already because they don’t mind the “BBS”. Because I am now a firm believer that going into this store together can cause a divorce.

I think most women have this vision upon finding out that’s very similar to their wedding day. Magical and happy. Aww, husband and wife registering together. The cold hard reality is this, and lest you think I’m kidding, I have an exit wound to show you. Or maybe just a broken toe. Apparently men HATE “BBS”. Like HATE with the passion of a thousand suns. This kind of puts a damper on our little magical trip wherein the men get all melty over the tiny little onesies that say “spit happens.” The only way I can get the meester in there at all, is to make sure that he’s been extremely well fed just moments before and this only buys me less time than there is in a typical scuba tank. And if you’re one of those women who have experienced such a magical moment, then you’re either lying, or your husband is a mechanical object that has been programmed by NASA.

After we scared the poor young couple at dinner due to fighting, we managed to make up somehow. But let it be known, here and now, that the meester shall never set foot in a “BBS” again for as long as he lives and that I am to find a girl partner to take with me from now on.

Merrin September 11, 2006 at 1:56 pm

Poor meester. Kevin feels his pain, since I dragged him to not one, but TWO BBSs on Saturday (and yes, he missed football for this). Needless to say, when it’s my turn, I’m taking the girls with me instead.

girl September 11, 2006 at 2:08 pm

so uhh… is “Big Baby Superstore” some sort of pregnany chick code for BabiesRUs or Target? I’m feeling a tad bit clueless here (Yes, I totally just googled “Big Baby Superstore.” SHUT UP.)

it’s too bad I don’t work at Penney’s anymore. one of my other friends got a ton of clothes when I worked there b/c I was constantly buying her all of the good clearance before anyone else got a chance to grab it. I have a bit of a disease when it comes to buying baby clothing. I fucking love it. I love it way more than I love buying clothes for myself.

Oh, and Merrin? You made your husband miss FOOTBALL for a trip to “BBS” and you’re still living under the same roof? Most men would sooner pack their shit and leave for the nearest sports bar than give up football for that. Looks like you’ve got a keeper.

Erin September 11, 2006 at 4:57 pm

My husband will occasionally come with me to “BBS” – because the visits to “BBS” once the kid is finally here increase exponentially (all the crap they need under 1 roof? Fine!) – but we’re in and out in probably less than 3 minutes flat no matter what we’ve gone in for. It’s just not the place for guys. Not at all.

Camille September 11, 2006 at 5:53 pm

Josh refused to register with me for our wedding and said he did not want to register for the baby either. I had a girlfriend go with me both times and we enjoyed it! I knew that him saying he didn’t want to go would cause a sucky experience for me, so I didn’t even argue.

I am soooo going to go with Mer-mer when she goes. I gotta make sure she registers for the good stuff.

Alison September 11, 2006 at 7:13 pm

Oh dude, I used to work at the Big Toy Superstore parent of the BBS that you probably went to, and I’m sure its changed a lot in the past 12 years, but registering sucks for everyone (the BBS used to just be 25% of the Big Toy Superstore, so all the moms would come into the toy store to register and simultaneously get a glimpse of crazy spoiled evil children in a toy store. Perhaps this is why they created a separate baby store). Anyway, my point…can’t you register online nowadays? I mean, yeah, you should probably pick out the big stuff (stroller, crib, car seat, etc) in person, but for the rest of that little stuff and the standards…do it online. Going to the store is not worth the stress.

Kathy September 11, 2006 at 7:32 pm

When we registered, we got as far as the bottle aisle and his eyes rolled back in his head and I think he had a mini seizure and started asking me if we were done yet. That was the end of that “magical” experience.

Minawolf September 12, 2006 at 5:47 am

My husband and I had shouting matches at Linens N Things over CURTAINS when we first bought our house. I will definitely not be taking him to the BBS.

girl September 12, 2006 at 6:10 am

My husband was surprisingly well-behaved when we registered for wedding shit. I think he had fun picking out the stuff he wanted. we had even more fun spending the shitload of Target giftcards and cash we had later on. I think we dropped around $500 in one trip. it was the most gratifying experience I’ve ever had.

I told him about the baby registering conversation from over here and he acted all surprised and claims that HE wouldn’t be like that. haha. yeeeeaaah. he says that as long as he gets a say in the stuff that we register for and that I don’t pick out everything that *I* want, it won’t be a problem. mmhmm. we’ll see when that time comes.

geeky September 12, 2006 at 6:35 am

The Fiance didn’t mind doing wedding registry shopping. However, I minded because he kept wanting to register for stupid shit like a gas pump shaped liquor dispensor (wtf?).

don’t worry, i’m sure the meester will make up for his lack of baby registry shopping later in life, when it comes time to buy the kid all the fun toys! my dad was always buying us those toys, and then playing with them himself on christmas morning.

Z. Hendirez September 12, 2006 at 6:47 am

I was fine so long as I got to zap everything with the laser. In later trips, I tended to hang out back where all the rockers are and rock with the other dads-to-be, talking breast pumps (“No, really, hospital-grade has the power you need.” “I don’t know. I’ve heard HG is over-rated”)

Besides, I take great pleasure in discovering the latest options on the 2007 strollers. I’m totally waiting for the self-propelled models to come out.

Pamela September 12, 2006 at 5:04 pm

Yeah, LOVE the drawing…

Better save the Meester’s energy for LAMAZE classes!

LOL

robyn September 12, 2006 at 8:08 pm

Ok, my husband is totally a freak of nature because he LOVED registering at the BBS (both times). It was like a freakin’ video game to him, firing that gun at every UPC code his eyes came into contact with…

Sara September 13, 2006 at 6:57 pm

my hubby ASKED to go to BBS the other day. of course there is a Best Buy across the parking lot and we ended up buying a video camera…