Well, that was fun now wasn’t it?

by statia on August 10, 2006

Today, one of my best friends has been getting various death threats and hate mail over her post the thwarted attacks this morning. You know what, I don’t get into politics on this blog because we have a million political bloggers out there and honestly, that’s not what this blog is about. But when people start threatening my friend for her opinion, which is her right, I have a huge problem with that. Michelle Malkin can suck it as far as I’m concerned. Calling my friend a whiner for wanting to bring a book on a plane. This is NOT ABOUT A BOOK. This is about our rights. This is about letting the media scare the shit out of us with their sensationalism. This is about letting the terrorists frighten us so much that we live in paranoid fear. This is also about our own fucking governement getting their heads out of their asses long enough to see that they were the ones to let security get lax enough for this to happen again. We’ve all said it was just a matter of time before this happened again. Now we have to start back at square one.

But for the people sending hate mail and threats to my friend because she’s got a very valid opinion and a right to say what she feels, fuck you. I swear to god, I’m in no fucking mood for asshats who don’t have a spine to spew the hate to the right people. Grow the fuck up.

Tracy August 10, 2006 at 11:46 am

Don’t get me wrong – I think the death threats and hate mail are ridiculous…but at the same time, I’m flying tomorrow. If not having to take my diet coke on the plane makes it less likely that somebody’s going to be able to blow it up…heck…take it. Now, I think our restrictions are a little more lax – the only thing I saw posted today was that liquids wouldn’t be allowed on, including shampoo and such. I gues my feeling, though, is that if you’re going to be pissed that you have to be so scrutinized getting on a plane, be pissed at the terrorists who are creating the situation, not the TSA or whoever is trying to keep the flights safe. How many lives are worth a little extra hassle for everyone else?

Tanya August 10, 2006 at 11:55 am

For what to happen again? I don’t see anyone jumping out of burning buildings today, babe.

Foggy August 10, 2006 at 1:59 pm

Your friend ( who I would love to meet) is right. You are atleast as angry as I am about the abuse she recieved for a well written and well reasoned post. Those who attacked her are no better than those who plot and carry out other terrorist acts. Make no mistake those who attacked her are terrorists.

Foggy August 10, 2006 at 4:00 pm

Statia, Please forward this to our heroine.

Thanx
Yes, I honestly believe those who attacked you are just as dangerous as those who would bomb planes and others. Both attempt to control by intimidation.

Thank you for leaving you post up. Thank you for reporting the person who attacked you.

And thank you for making my life a little brighter everyday. Other than me, Angus must be the luckiest man on the planet- my Dianne is superb.

Foggy

Amy August 10, 2006 at 4:22 pm

Death threats??? over that blog entry? What in the world?? People just ain’t right.

girl August 10, 2006 at 7:54 pm

Thoses types of dickweeds are on both sides of the political fence. Michelle Malkin might be obnoxious (I don’t read her b/c I avoid all things politics like the plague), but she’s been threatened, publically, many times too (as well as some of the other people that I read) and has had some pretty disgusting racial epithets thrown at her by a lot of total scumbags.

Calling Helen out wasn’t the right thing to do (Hell, I don’t particularly agree with the post, but since I avoid political discussions with my friends, I left it alone), but she’s one of those people who thinks that playing dirty will get her further up in the ranks of blog coolness, unfortunately.

Julie August 11, 2006 at 3:03 am

Anyone who reads Helen on an (almost) daily basis would notice that her posts are about Helen, and that the post in question (or any other) would NOT be about blog coolness.

Also, pointing out dickweeds on both sides of the fence still doesn’t make the action right.

girl August 11, 2006 at 6:15 am

Julie, get your panties out your asscrack, please. I wasn’t AT ALL condoning Michelle’s or anyone else’s actions, I was merely pointing out that there are a lot of jerks out there in Bloggyland, especially when you bring politics into the mix. I also never insinuated that Helen (whose blog I DO read on a daily basis) was trying to work her way up in the blog coolness ranks. I was referring to Michelle playing dirty, not Helen. Anything else?

Tom August 11, 2006 at 6:55 am

That blog entry she wrote was not worth death threats. She was writing that early AM her time, and based on information she knew that that time. A time when all of us in the US were sleeping quietly. By the time we woke up, more news had come out and that put her post in a bad light.

Regardless, her post did not deserve death threats.

Linda August 11, 2006 at 2:55 pm

I loved your friend’s blog entry on the current flying situation. It’s out of control and she’s right on target. So if I’m travelling with my (future) kid I have to taste it’s milk, when I’m allergic to milk? These morons aren’t thinking too clearly.

Rob Ferrara August 12, 2006 at 4:56 am

I also read Helen quite a bit. She is one of the coolest bloggers I read but I can say with a fair amount of certainty that she, herself, doesn’t give a hoot about blog coolness. Also, her entry stands up even after more information comes to light.