The one where I get my membership to “the club”

by statia on August 9, 2006

This falls along the boring routine part of things. The one where you most likely end up yawning because hello? BORING. Yesterday marked the start of 9 weeks (how the fuck did I get here?) and also our first official visit to our OB for prenatal care. As with every appointment that entails an ultrasound, I walk in thinking “I’m sure I have a dead baby.” And yet, with every appointment, I’m pleasantly surprised to see growth and a hearbeat. Things like that after infertility still continue to blow you away. The nurse practitioner gave us our big folder full of crap. The important stuff that symbolizes the membership to “the club”. Hospital pre-registration, “the list” of medications that are safe to take. The big list o’ classes, samples and boringy boring boringness. I can’t say that it was actually boring, more like overwhelming. Like the women at the maternity store being ever so optimistic that pregancy = live baby. The good thing that I found out is that my OB, the woman who I love, the one who has seen us through so much in the short time that I’ve been with her, will be my primary doctor. I don’t have to visit with all of the doctors because she will be the one to deliver our possible child. You know, if “it” lives and all. This thrills me more than I can say because I hate having to see a different doctor for every visit. Especially when I have one that I like perfectly fine. And I really wouldn’t want anyone else.

Also, my husband, the ever observant person when it comes to seeing ANY of my skin failed to notice that I’ve been sleeping without underwear on for the last three weeks. I’m as shocked as anyone. I mean, I’ve walked past this man half naked every night now for three weeks to go to the bathroom.

Buzz August 9, 2006 at 1:04 pm

Huh. That’s odd. Everytime you walked past me half naked, I certainly noticed. I think I even applauded once.

Ok twice.

girl August 9, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Hell, my husband would have noticed that within seconds of my getting into bed (and would have been dry humping me as I yell, “GET OFF!” and he’d reply, “I’M TRYING!”)

The Meeeester August 9, 2006 at 2:30 pm

Oh, I know better at this point to not dry hump, no matter how hard it might be (pun is up to you on that one).

Donna August 9, 2006 at 3:48 pm

I don’t even know what to say. Want a cookie?

Ornery August 9, 2006 at 5:20 pm

I couldn’t believe it when they gave me my membership folder filled with pregnancy crap at 9 weeks. I actually asked the doctor why he was giving it to me so soon, and he looked at me with disbelief and reminded me that I was already nearing the end of first trimester. Completely blew me away.

I hope you can remain underwearless for as long as possible, especially since the temp’s been going up again. I’ve got so much mucousy goop coming out of my hole that if I was sans underwear, my husband and I would probably just slide right off the bed.

Linda August 9, 2006 at 6:15 pm

God, after Ornery’s comment you had better put those panties back on or risk physical harm to the Meester! It’s surreal, in a way, that you’re really nearly at the end of the first trimester. It must be mind blowing!

Lisa August 9, 2006 at 6:44 pm

9 weeks! Wow! Such exciting stuff, hon.

jen August 10, 2006 at 7:59 am

Well, I HAD a comment. But after I read Ornery’s comment…I forgot what I was gonna say!! LMAO!!!

Too funny.

Nearing the end of the first trimester!! *screams* How awesome is that??!!

PaintingChef August 10, 2006 at 10:05 am

I keep my fingers crossed for you every day…

Faith August 10, 2006 at 11:24 am

Wait, so you’re wearing something on top, but no underwear? Hm. See, if I were to go to sleep without underwear on, I wouldn’t be “half-naked” I would be COMPLETELY naked. So you’re wearing something on top, but not the bottom? Why? Go completely naked…it’s a lovely feeling!

And as happens to girl, I have the same problem with the boyfriend…apparently, me sleeping completely naked is the sign that I Want To Have Sex. Unfortunately for him, during the week, it’s usually just a sign that I Have A Stomach Ache And Can’t Stand Even The Pressure Of Underwear Right Now, Much Less A Visit From The ‘Nis.

Tip August 10, 2006 at 3:36 pm

I am so happy for you. I have a daughter entering her 2nd year of college and a son a freshman in high school. They have gotten older since the last time we chatted. You will enjoy every second of being a parent. When are you coming back to the “good coast”?

girl August 11, 2006 at 4:55 pm

Posted by The Meeeester | August 9, 2006 02:30 PM

Hell, after hearing about your wife’s gas, I’m not sure I’d want to dry hump her either. ;-) Hell, who am I kidding? I’d totally dry hump you, Statia.