Say Hello to my leetle friend

by statia on August 1, 2006

Because I love to make you wait for the good stuff, I will tell you that our trip to Amato’s to get us some cheesesteaks was, well, uh… well, we’re not in Philadelphia, I’m a picky bitch and that’s that. First off, I wasn’t exactly feeling the food thing. The thought of eating anything made me want to hurl the entire contents of my large intestine up. But I figured what the hell. If I’m going to puke, now is the time to try a cheesesteak. The people that own this place are Philadelphians. But this still offers me little comfort.

#1. How many times do I need to tell people that attempt a cheesesteak shop on the left coast that you NEED TO IMPORT THE ROLLS. Amaroso rolls are the ONLY rolls that are worthy of the cheesesteak. End of discussion. The rolls were gross.
#2. Being a newly pregnant woman, I’m extremely hyperaware of food borne illnesses. Normally, you could bring on the food poisoning, as I could stand to lose about 10 pounds. Nowadays, I go so far as to wipe fresh herbs off of my food because who knows how long that’s been sitting out without being washed? I don’t want to say I’m completely neurotic about listeriosis, as I’m not giving up my soft PASTEURIZED cheeses, but when there’s raw meat that’s sitting on a grill for god knows how long, that’s half raw and half cooked. I’m already easily squicked these days.

They did offer whiz, which actually did redeem them a few points, but it was only a few points. The sandwich may have tasted a little bit better had I not felt like uber shit on Saturday night, but the moral of the story is this:

There’s no such thing as an authentic Philly cheesesteak anywhere but in Philly. Don’t argue with me on this, because you won’t win.

As for “it.” Last night I had another bleeding scare, which had me convinced that I was carring a dead baby. Especially since I feel so good right now. Thankfully we had our appointment this morning which was supposed to be at 8:30, but my lack of brain these days had us rolling in around 9:15am. Good times. Everything was fine at 8 weeks, measuring at 8w1d. We have heart chambers now. I don’t know that I’ve ever breathed a huger sigh of relief. Dare I say I might actually bring some baby books into the house for a little light reading.

Mona August 1, 2006 at 12:58 pm

Woooo I am so happy for u :)

buzz August 1, 2006 at 1:17 pm

I don’t know why these places keep advertising “Philly Cheesesteaks”. They should be ashamed of themselves! And I have to think that they have never actually HAD a Philly Cheesesteak. Which reminds me, I sure could go for a cheesesteak right about now. Oh, and look, I can! With honest-to-goodness Amoroso rolls! Woohoo!

(Sorry. That last bit was a little mean.)

fran August 1, 2006 at 1:46 pm

good to hear the appt went well.. :)

robyn August 1, 2006 at 1:59 pm

I haven’t had a cheesesteak in over a decade now, no matter what people may claim. There are even people down here that import the Amarosos (Rita’s even has locations at the beach for crimeny’s sake), but it’s not the same. It’s never been the same. Sigh…

So happy on the appt.! Aren’t those tiny hearts just the most amazing thing to watch ever?!

Lori August 1, 2006 at 2:04 pm

You’re making me want a cheesestake. Philly isn’t all that long of a drive from me…
So glad the scan went well.

donna August 1, 2006 at 2:26 pm

A. I’ve only had one real cheesesteak in my life and it was in Philadelphia. The rest are cheap imitators.

B. Yea for tiny heart beats and tiny heart chambers!

Amy August 1, 2006 at 2:28 pm

I loved reading this line: “as a newly pregnant woman”. LOVED IT!!

EJW August 1, 2006 at 2:40 pm

I have a theory about the Philly cheesesteak: properly cooking one involves some reaction between the metal of the grill and the specific air contamination that only exists in downtown Philly. That’s why they taste like crap everywhere else. That and the lack of Amoroso’s.

Also, who mentioned Rita’s? EVIL, you. I live 1000 miles from the nearest Rita’s now and it is hot enough that I tried to convince my husband to sell our house, quit both our jobs, and just move to the East Coast. Tonight.

Donna August 1, 2006 at 2:47 pm

Oh great, now I’m going to be wondering about bits of herbs on my food?

Fab news on the leetle one.

Lisa August 1, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Mmm, Philly cheesesteaks.

Yay on the heartbeatybits!

millie August 1, 2006 at 3:22 pm

Very glad to hear the scan went so well.

missy August 1, 2006 at 7:54 pm

Yay! Congratulations for the little heartbeat and teensy heartchambers!

geeky August 1, 2006 at 8:09 pm

i tried stop you from eating that crapsteak… friends don’t let friends eat imposter cheesesteaks!

girl August 1, 2006 at 8:24 pm

Go half-German baby, go!

Oh, and I’ve never, ever had a Philly Cheesesteak. I refuse to eat one until I can actually visit Philly.

scared August 1, 2006 at 9:54 pm

i came across your site and it makes me happy and have hope. i start treatment at the end of august. my friends and family don’t really “get it” and you do, so thank you and your little heartbeat.

Lenni August 2, 2006 at 6:14 am

Mmmm…cheesesteak. I prefer the cheesesteaks in the suburbs to the ones in center city – but they’re all good. I particularly love that I can get Amoroso’s by the roll – I don’t have to buy a whole package at the grocery store anymore!

Mollywogger August 2, 2006 at 6:14 am

BOOOO to cheesesteak.

YAAYY to baby!

stephanie August 2, 2006 at 7:10 am

In the imortal words of Mr. Big “fanfuckingtastic!” great news on the leetle heart!

coloratura August 2, 2006 at 10:42 am

I’m beginning to get a good feeling about this one… yeah!

Ornery August 2, 2006 at 11:00 am

There’s no fucking way I could ban soft pasteurized cheeses, either. A woman must have a reason for living, after all.

I’m so glad to hear that the ultrasound appt went well. I’m not quite sure when, if ever, these appointments won’t induce hyperventilation and DBTs, but the pics of the baby and the huge sigh of relief afterwards definitely make up for it.

Teresa August 2, 2006 at 5:10 pm

I am so happy for you! Heart chambers-a beautiful thing indeed.

Mary Scarlet August 2, 2006 at 8:42 pm

Ah, great news, excellent excellent. Sorry about the shitass food. I’m a carb girl, I do believe that if I had to give up many meats and cheeses, and had to wash my own veggies to eat them, I would just live on potato chips and bread.