It’s not a habit.

by statia on August 15, 2006

Years ago, when I worked for this start up, there was a woman there that was addicted to buying christmas ornaments on ebay. Not any kind, just a certain kind and we used to make fun of her for her sickness. She’d talk about getting outbid at the last second and she’d get all animated and pissed off. I never understood the appeal of ebay. I’ve had an ebay account for years and I only used it when I had to. I used it a lot when I moved but otherwise, I never gave it a second thought.

Hi my name is Statia and 2 week waits have made me addicted to ebay. That’s right, I’m blaming infertility for my ebay habit. First it was the stickers, which I’m still collecting (in fact, I need a second book now), and lately, it’s all about my childhood toys. My current addiction is vintage Strawberry Shortcake dolls. Because is it me, or is Strawberry Shortcake looking UGLY these days? I’ve been all about my old toys because I’d like to be able to enjoy them with our….. “it.”** Which, you know this means we’ll end up having a boy, and I’m going to have all of these toys that I’m going to have to play with by myself.

I can stop anytime. Really.

** If it lives of course. (yes, I’m still saying that. At least until next weeks ultrasound).

robyn August 15, 2006 at 7:03 pm

I don’t know…in San Francisco, a boy playing with Strawberry Shortcake dolls might not be considered the oddest of things…

EJW August 15, 2006 at 7:16 pm

Strawberry Shortcake, ugly? How could any doll that smells like fruity baked goods be ugly?

geeky August 15, 2006 at 8:15 pm

you’re jealous of my strawberry shortcake phone, aren’t you?

Nadine - Healthifica.com August 15, 2006 at 8:42 pm

Hm…the pinky and red color and the cute face (yes, I think it’s cute) of Strawberry Shortcake doesn’t match if the baby turns to be a boy…but only the next few years.

Now, it’s ok to put the doll as an ornament in the room. Just make sure you take it out after 6 months.
:D BTW, you’re not into bicycling, rite? Just asking, since my dear friend did.

April August 16, 2006 at 4:36 am

Now I want a Lite Brite.

Chris August 16, 2006 at 5:10 am

But maybe it’ll be a boy who really appreciates all the things that Strawberry Shortcake stands for…like, um, strawberries and, well, shortcake.

Jenny August 16, 2006 at 5:21 am

I still have my strawberry shortcake bed sheets. Not on my bed mind you, but I’ve got’em. Wonder what they’d go for on ebay?

Sophie August 16, 2006 at 6:35 am

So far it has worked for me and everybody around me, but this is a fun little gender predictor. You take the age you were at and the year the baby is born – if it is even/odd (say 29/2006) it is a girl, but even/even or odd/odd, (28/2006 or 29/2007) it is a boy! Weird. And now that I made it public of course it is going to be disproved. Hee.

I am still muchly happy for you! :)

Kate August 16, 2006 at 8:33 am

Now I had to go and put that song on. I blame you if my brain breaks from listening to it all day on repeat.

jc August 17, 2006 at 11:13 am

It’s not a habit it’s cool I feel alive, if you don’t have it you’re on the other side!

Asha August 18, 2006 at 2:13 pm

Apple Dumplin’ could take Shortcake anyday! Sure, the Shortcake is cute, sassy and smells nice and has all of that hair. But the Dumplin’ …. now here’s a doll that requires genuine devotion (and she found it with Tea Time). Imagine this: Death Match: Strawberry versus the Dumplin’.