I have a sneaking suspicion this never ends

by statia on August 13, 2006

Our last ultrasound, the nurse practioner said to me: “at some point you’re going to need to learn to relax and accept this pregnancy because things look really good.” How can I accept it when my symptoms range from feeling great to shitty in the span of a day? All weekend, I’ve felt good and I hate it. Sure, the nausea sucks, but at least with the nausea I have something concrete to hold on to. I never thought I’d be happy to feel shitty, but I do. The diminishing symptoms is enough to drive me batshit.

Did I say this before? Because I feel like I keep repeating myself.

I think I’m going to go finish off my cinnabon while I’m still feeling it.

Amy August 13, 2006 at 10:00 am

Its impossible to just relax, sometimes until you hold the baby in your arms. Then you just trade one set of worries for another. All you can try to do is roll with is. Take an enjoy it for today attitude.

Kathy August 13, 2006 at 10:30 am

That nurse has balls.

millie August 13, 2006 at 11:11 am

Perhaps you should tell the nurse practitioner that at some point she’s going to need to get a freakin’ clue and learn some compassion.

Enjoy the cinnabon.

Donna August 13, 2006 at 11:16 am

I don’t think you should ever have the words “relax” and “pregnancy” in the same sentence. I know what she was trying to say, but it came out a little wrong. I hope you don’t projectile vomit your cinnabon, that would be a big waste. And a big cinnamony mess.

shelly August 13, 2006 at 12:32 pm

The only way I have made it so far has been to set very small goals. I couldn’t see actually making it to to the point where I actually got to have a real live baby. I managed to make it to 8 weeks for the first sonogram. Then I worked on making it to 12 weeks. The next goal was 20 weeks to see the baby’s sex. After that it was 26 weeks (viable pregnancy if I happened to go into preterm labor). Then we worked on making it to 34 weeks. I am now 14 days away from my C-section and I am still terrified that something will go wrong. I don’t have the nursery finished because I am afraid to be that optomistic. I eat a lot of ice cream. It is the only thing that seems to help.

erika August 13, 2006 at 1:40 pm

One small day at a time. It’s all we can ask from this world. Seriously – if Sammy’s taught me anything, it’s to be in this moment, right now. Try your best to enjoy it for what it is, whatever it is.

I know it sounds full of shyt, but it’s what gets me through each day – so I send a little of that peace your way, too.

geeky August 13, 2006 at 2:08 pm

mmmm cinnabon. i hope you puke later, you know, because it will make you feel better.

Pamela August 13, 2006 at 2:53 pm

Your nurse gave good advice.
She sounds like a professiuonal, and she speaks from experience.

You will experience a shitload of new emotions during your pregnancy, you are not alone in this.

The nausea will fade, eventually.
This is your first journey together,
you and your babies’.

It is an amazing process!

Have faith in it, and yourself.

robyn August 13, 2006 at 5:13 pm

It took me a full year after N’s birth to eat another Cinnabon, I got so violently ill at about 9 weeks along with him. And it wasn’t even from eating one. That “Unwrapped” show on Food TV showed how they were made, and I projectiled for hours…

The phrase “relax” will never be a part of your vocabulary again. But the sentiment behind her (very misguided) statement gives me a Charlie Brown-smile.

girl August 14, 2006 at 6:14 am

oh damn you. I’ve been craving a Cinnamon something crazy lately. every time I pass them in the mall I drool, but I’m usually either too full or I talk myself out of it before I get to the front of the line. I haven’t had one in probably a year or more. methinks I should make my husband get me one for dessert tonight. I’m sure he’ll love going to the mall just for a Cinnabon.

Chris August 14, 2006 at 9:44 am

I realize I don’t have a uterus but for what it’s worth, I never stopped worrying. I just wanted everything to be alright. And then Mia was born…and now I still worry about everything. I think that’s called “parenting.”

Jenaside August 14, 2006 at 11:41 am

In my experience, it doesn’t matter how you conceive your child, you still have huge worries. With my second, I swore up and down she wasn’t going to be born because I just couldn’t imagine having two children. With my first, I was scared to go up and down stairs for fear I’d trip. Pregnancy should be defined as a 10 month long worry fest! That said… I did try to relax as much as possible in BETWEEN worry episodes. :D

Teresa August 14, 2006 at 6:45 pm

Tell that nurse you will ‘relax’ about the pregnancy when the baby is safe and sound in your arms. Then you can be stressed about a whole new slew of things!

Wishing you nothing but luck!

Tiffanni August 14, 2006 at 8:33 pm

I am hoping that with each milestone, you will get more comfortable with everything. But in the meantime, we are here for you. :)

Beth August 15, 2006 at 9:05 am

Hmm, did that nurse run after she said that? Isn’t it the worst mindfuck to see your symptoms come and go?